Squeezebox Touch – maximising sound quality

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I am ordering a squeezebox touch today and am keen to ensure I get best possible sound quality from this. It will be hooked up to Arcam AVR280 amp and will be auditioning small bookshelf speakers soon. (shortlist, Rega RS1, Dali Lektor 1, Dynaudio DM2/6 & Neat Motive 3 as a tempter!) Depending how these go I will weigh up AVI Neutron 5’s without audition.

I will start by using USB stick, but plan to buy a powered USB hard drive to connect into back of Squeezebox. I can then rip CDs to PC and copy onto USB drive is the plan. Does it make any difference to sound quality when Squeezebox is connecting directly with a USB stick / USB hard drive as compared to wireless streaming from a NAS drive?

Also, what’s best software & file format (FLAC file?) to use for ripping CDs please as I guess this will make the most difference? (Preferably free!)
Cheers
Ambrose

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks nads. Do these format as FLAC files?

I think I would prefer to use NAS in the long run as I presume I just connect NAS into router and hence one less component in the lounge. But only if:-
Sound quality not compromised?

Also, does it make any difference to how you access music on the SQ if HD or NAS?

Sorry, not up on all this stuff!!! Any pointers really appreciated.
Cheers
Ambrose

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Thanks nads. Do these format as FLAC files?

Do what format as FLAC files? It's up to you what format you rip your CDs in. EAC supports FLAC and various other formats.

I think I would prefer to use NAS in the long run as I presume I just connect NAS into router and hence one less component in the lounge. But only if:- Sound quality not compromised?

There is no compromise.

iemslie

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
QNAP, Synology and Netgear are probably the more popular brands.

All of these should run Squeezebox server to a greater or lesser extent.

Some older/less well powered models won’t support the latest versions of the server software. So you’ll need to check this if you spot a bargain somewhere.

Netgear NAS set-ups are frequently offered at good prices and sometimes with free disk offers.

With NAS some things to bear in mind are:-

How big your collection is - e.g. how much storage you’re going to need and how many disks you might need over time.

Redundancy – Do you want a RAID type system (RAID 5 requires a minimum of 3 disks)

What other uses will you have for the NAS – This for me would be one of the more important questions as the cost of the NAS will likely be more than what you will spend on disks. If you’ll only be using it for music it might be overkill to buy a NAS.

Regarding sound quality, NAS or USB into the Squeezebox won’t make a difference.

For software, start with EAC or DB Poweramp. See which you prefer and go from there.

One last thing. Back-up!! It’s a great feeling when you’ve ripped that last CD.

It’s not so great when the disk stops working…..and one day it will, for sure.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Anyone know if the touch sounds better than the classic? I´ve read somewhere that the touch sounds a lot better but haven´t tried it myself. I have a classic now.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a Squeezebox Classic and would recommend using FLAC.

I have a low powered PC (500MHz processor, 256MB RAM) running the server software. When I wasn't using FLAC and using Apple Lossless I would get drop outs when streaming wirelessley as Apple lossless isn't supported 'nativly' so the PC has to transcode it on the fly. Changing to FLAC sorted this out as the PC doesn't have to do anything apart from stream to the Squeezebox. I would assume if you go with a NAS you could have similar issues if not using FLAC due to low processor speed etc.. of a NAS.

nads

LoFi Heroes said:
Anyone know if the touch sounds better than the classic? I´ve read somewhere that the touch sounds a lot better but haven´t tried it myself. I have a classic now.

I used to run a SB3 with a Dac magic. the touch is better and the Dac is unused. the SB3 does wireless duties in the kitchen with some active speakers. Also stream to my iPhone with iPeng.

the NAS is a Netgear Duo with 512Mb of memory. Can be a touch laggy at times though.

A

Anonymous

nads said:
LoFi Heroes said:

I used to run a SB3 with a Dac magic. the touch is better and the Dac is unused. the SB3 does wireless duties in the kitchen with some active speakers. Also stream to my iPhone with iPeng.

the NAS is a Netgear Duo with 512Mb of memory. Can be a touch laggy at times though.

Great, looks like i´m going with the touch then. I like the album art thing too.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Excellent! Thanks for everyones input and I think I will try EAC as starting point and rip as FLAC files.
As I would only be using NAS for serving music, I may just stick with USB hard drive, at least for now. I have heard, the Squeezebox can struggle if music collection is too large.
Anyone concur / comment what is too large. Oh.. Matron!!!

BTW Squeezebox Touch is £170 from Saverstore.
Cheers
Ambrose

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Ambrose said:
I may just stick with USB hard drive, at least for now. I have heard, the Squeezebox can struggle if music collection is too large. Anyone concur / comment what is too large. Oh.. Matron!!! BTW Squeezebox Touch is £170 from Saverstore. Cheers Ambrose
As far as I can tell (& based on my own experience), a USB disk will either work or it won't. There are lots of hints as to what "may" help but nothing concrete & certainly no certified working solutions from Logitech. If yours doesn't work there's precious little help out there (& none at all from Logitech).

Now exactly what the proportion of working to non-working is I have no idea. The fan-boys like to make out I'm the only one that's ever had a problem but a quick scan of the Logitech/SlimDevices forums shows this is clearly not the case.

So my advice would be to try a USB disk by all means but expect it to fail & for you to have to run a PC/NAS. Then if it works you'll be delighted & not too ****** off when it doesn't.
smiley-wink.gif

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nads,
I'm sorry if I am confusing things, I don't fully understand myself!

I meant that if I get a NAS then I would only be using it for the SQ to pick up my music collection and to run squeezebox server.
So picking up from iemslie comment:-

"What other uses will you have for the NAS – This for me would be one of the more important questions as the cost of the NAS will likely be more than what you will spend on disks. If you’ll only be using it for music it might be overkill to buy a NAS."

It would be cheaper to buy USB device (stick or external hard drive) therefore for me.
Thanks
Ambrose

iemslie

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Ambrose said:
It would be cheaper to buy USB device (stick or external hard drive) therefore for me.

Not if it doesn't work...

It's true that there are a fair few people having issues going by the forums. But I'd hazard a guess that this is a small minority of owners.

If you don't already own an external perhaps you can ask your pals or work colleagues to loan you theirs to check compatibility (every other person you ask seems to have one).

Once you've found one that works go with that make/model. Sorted (hopefully).

By the way. I'm a QNAP owner so not adverse to NAS in anyway, big fan in fact. Just mindful of the cost if you only want to serve music.

A

Anonymous

Also, run Soundcheck's mods on your squeezebox. Google Soundcheck squeezebox. First Hit.

Question to Moderators: by saying Google soundcheck squeezebox, I've effectively given the Op a link, without really doing so. Wonder if that's against policy. :)

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi, just got delivery of a touch last week and really pleased with it. Sounds great compared with what I had. I use a Nas to stream and according to the link below it may improve sound quality doing it that way but I can't confirm as haven't tried.

My QNAP is an old one so it isn't particularly quick to load songs but nothing bad. New ones should be instant I imagine.

Got my touch direct from Logitech via Quidco (damaged box apparently) and only paid £162 after cash back.

http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-squeezebox-touch-toolbox-20.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts