Squeezebox discontinued?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Slowly getting into this computer audio stuff and the logical choice for streaming Hi-Res has been dropped by Logitech.

What other alternatives are there?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
shooter said:
What other alternatives are there?
At the price, nothing.

Although it's a shame & the writing has been on the wall for a while, it doesn't necessarily mean it's not still a good buy. The software is stable & the hardware reliable so even if official support stops tomorrow, there's plenty of life left in the product. The only thing that may disappear is the MySB.com portal but that only means that you'll need the server on to listen to Internet radio.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Squeezebox's absence is notable from Logitech's website.... Looks like Logitech fancies a slice of the sales action SONOS has had with Play:3/5 - the new UE range gives Logitech a far more mass-market proposition than the Squeezebox Touch.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
My understanding is that Logitech UE Smart Radio just announced is the next generation of Squeezebox Radio:
More dumbed down than next gen. A Logitech employee has confirmed that there are no plans to continue the Touch or launch a replacement any time soon. Indeed all the Squeezbox products have already disappeared from their site.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96188-New-Squeezebox-Radio

A

Anonymous

Well that's a shame, I've been recommending SB to others, can't really recommend a product no longer in manufacture.

I've been using for a while, am familiar and pleased with functionalities and although the eventual demise of my sb.com will be a nuisance ( used for internet radio ), it won't effect my use, and if my product expired tomorrow I'd replace with same as it works and the current server software is stable.

I really was hoping for an updated Touch, as there is a gap in the market for a device with onboard storage and full server software, which has wireless functionality, decent UI with app options, at a reasonable price. Nearest is the Olive 4 or 6 HD, at about 20 times the Touch cost!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
That is a real shame. The Touch is my favourite gadget of the last 5 years.

I was hoping the recent price offers were because they were going to bring out an update, not drop the line completely.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
It's a shame that one of the hifi manufacturers wasn't more alive to the sale of Slim Devices way back in 2006. A full three years before Linn announced the death of the CDP. We'd maybe now have a wealth of full featured streamers to choose from rather than the largely pants DLNA "me too" efforts currently on offer.

A company majoring on mice & keyboards was never going to understand the market & devote the necessary resources into making streaming mainstream.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Struggling to find a 24 192 streamers at a reasonable cost and not sure if i would or anyone else would need one as there doesn't seem to be much 196 material available

There are a couple of 24 96 streamers available that i can find but now up around the £700 mark. The Cambridge Stream Magic 6 and the Olive O2M which look interesting:

https://www.olive.us/products/multi-room-player.html

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=952

I'm not 100% sure the Olive DAC can be by-passed though it has digital outs and it looks much nicer than the 6 for that money and may still consider a SBT for the short term.

Any other streamers about?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Why would you only consider a SBT for the short term? They won't suddenly stop working when Logitech stop making them.

As many on here testify, they are rock-solid, have a great UI, play gapless & hi-res, with no concerns about sound quality, can be controlled via iOS/android - what more do you need?

I would pick one up from amazon now before the 2nd hand prices start rocketing on ebay!

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
On top of that the software is open source, so I guess that the community will take over that part.

Still unbelievable. Hell no I'm going to by myself a DLNA-based streamer :-(

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've not got into streaming yet but this seems to be a strange move with a product that was so highly rated. I had noted it as a device to investigate. I wonder if it wasn't selling very well outside of the hifi community?

Chris

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I've only just bought one, but have no concerns that it has been discontinued. It's probably the best value for money piece of hi-fi equipment that I've ever purchased! I would have loved to have seen it in a WHF group test with the current crop of streamers.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
What they are thinking about, the folks at Logitech? :wall:

The moust briliant piece of kit for streaming/playing digital contend for the price !!!
smiley-cry.gif

I believe soon will be announced the replacement of the Touch? :pray:

Or someone will be shoting is own foot... |(

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi-Fi,

Read the Slim Devices thread linked earlier and you will see that the Touch is dead with no replacement on the horizon. It was depressing to read the comments from the ex and current Logitech employees.

Long live the SBT!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts