Squash balls and granite chopping boards

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Still trying to find a cheap solution for an equipment rack. Assuming that the purpose of a rack is simply to isolate components from unwanted vibrations, might the following work (culled from blogs all over the internet):

Granite chopping board (Argos £9.99) placed on carpeted floor, with half a squash ball in each corner on which to place the feet of my amp; then, set up side-by-side, the same configuration under my CD player?

Ok it's all a bit close to the ground, and doubles the square footage of the system, but is it worth a trial? Has anyone else come up with an innovative design? Or have I just got to shell out for something commercially produced after all?

A

Anonymous

Why don't you buy a cheap, simple but acceptable table or TV stand from Argos and then place the granite slabs w/squash balls onto that. I think the DIY isolation platforms will enhance any old furniture used. I'm not sure that it's best placed on the carpeted floor.

A

Anonymous

Yup, I'd also be uncomfortable with my kit that close to floor level, due to the rapidity with which dust will accumulate. I have an equipment rack, but don't use the bottom shelf for precisely that reason. After a couple of weeks, it has a very noticeable coating of dust.

T

the record spot

Or, as another poster has on another similar thread, a Lack corner table from Ikea. About £8. A bargain by any other name and well recommended in most hifi circles too.

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I read the idea about squash balls, but i found something better when i walked at a souvenir stall. It was a small rubber-made football attached as a key-chain. I cut it half square, and it was not empty inside. It saved me 99% of the same half square thing sold in hifi shops. Maybe you can find it in your place

A

Anonymous

Just had a look at the chopping boards from Argos online but it dosen't say what the dimensions are, anyone know?
boards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Has the world gone crazy?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I'd blame the near insanity caused by the cost of hifi. It's enough to make you quite creative...

T

the record spot

Big enough, in the Tesco example to hold a Rega P3 and most CD players, amps, etc. Standard sized gear in other words. Turn it longways to fit Cyrus stuff though.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I was expecting peels of laughter all round and avuncular advice about a little knowledge being a bad thing, but I think I might actually give this a go, on top of a table as suggested.

Dimensions of chopping board are not give, but I notice there is a slightly more up-market version (£14.99) which is 30cmx40cm, which should just be big enough.

A

Anonymous

I have 2 of the Argos ones and they work well with isolation feet from ebay.....I also got some heavy granite cut to size from the local monumental stonemason for my speakers / stands. All in cost was less than £50.

A

Anonymous

jameshughes:
I was expecting peels of laughter all round and avuncular advice about a little knowledge being a bad thing, but I think I might actually give this a go, on top of a table as suggested.

Dimensions of chopping board are not give, but I notice there is a slightly more up-market version (£14.99) which is 30cmx40cm, which should just be big enough.

Yep, its always best to upgrade the chopping board if you've the money and the space to accomodate.

Will you post a pic when you're done ?

A

Anonymous

You could use a washing up liquid bottle to cunningly fashion a workable stylus and then the pin out of the badge for a needle ...

Have you thought about trying to get a JL price match on the boards because the warranty
would give you piece of mind ? You'll need a letter or quote from Tezzies and then wait while they confirm but it'll be worth it in the end !

A

Anonymous

You think I can afford a digital camera after spending all that cash on granite chopping boards?! ;-)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip about the price comparison. Alternatively I might see if I can get a discount for buying 2... Or maybe if everyone using this forum wanted the same hi tech ste up Tesco would do us a deal?

A

Anonymous

jameshughes:You think I can afford a digital camera after spending all that cash on granite chopping boards?! ;-)

I was expecting a sketch you'd do using your wet finger dipped into an ashtray. As long as it'd scan that is.

What about taking it to one of those photo me booths ?

A

Anonymous

I'm trying to work up the courage to vote for the chopping boards in the Readers Vote of the 2008 awards but I fear that

a) I haven't heard them and they've not had a full test

b) I'd get told off by the team.

I'll leave it til next year and hope that it still remains my bargain choice.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
With regard to teh squash balls, I find that the red spots perform the best, the blue spots are a bit squishy in the midrange

emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Tesco should market the Tesco Finest granite worktop saver better. Tesco Finest audio grade granite isolation platform, then up the price from 10 squid to at least 100.

A

Anonymous

Gary T:Tesco should market the Tesco Finest granite worktop saver better. Tesco Finest audio grade granite isolation platform, then up the price from 10 squid to at least 100.

Just ordered one!

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas:Gary T:Tesco should market the Tesco Finest granite worktop saver better. Tesco Finest audio grade granite isolation platform, then up the price from 10 squid to at least 100.

Just ordered one!

And received today, just right size wise with some flatfeet sorbothane jobbies under the CD feet - jobs a good un.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts