Spotify goes back to invite-only

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I have some spares, too - willing to trade for extra hours in day. Awards has eaten our lives...
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

I would be (very much) interested..... been on the waiting list for a while.....
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I never realised there was a waiting list. I must have been on it for a matter of minutes, as I recall. I signed up and was listening to an album by The Chameleons that I'd never heard before in next to no time.

I did encounter problems with the service yesterday afternoon; must be all these fan boys with their iphones.

I didn't fully understand the piece about revenues in the news item on The Register, as it doesn't explain the frequency of the 14p / user made from advertising. Is that monthly?

"Recall that Spotify has to pay (twice) for every song it plays. The full rate is buried deep in complicated deals, but it's believed to be discounted and within the industry rate for streams: 1p per play. Yet Spotify earns just 14p per user in the UK from advertising.

So if you're a free user who plays 15 songs a month, you're losing Spotify money. And that's before bandwidth and overheads are taken into account."

A

Anonymous

Bit late picking up on this thread but then I do work outside the UK so it was of pretty academic interest until now. But as I shall be back in the UK next week and looking to merrily fill my new house (wirelessly) with tunes spotify seems pretty interesting after all the rave reviews I've been reading.

So much so that I'm more than happy to dive in and pay for a premium account. Doing that will I "bypass the waiting list for invites" sorry to be so clueless but spotify.com is a blocked site where I am.

Secondary question I say a few suggestions about streaming spotify to x-box's PS3's etc using Jamcast and Airfoil has anyone any experiance of this ? I'm going to be setting up an "aitunes network" with a couple of AE if that's relevant.

By the way WHF the equivalent of 9GBP here but still a fine read.

daveh75

2oldnslow:Bit late picking up on this thread but then I do work outside the UK so it was of pretty academic interest until now. But as I shall be back in the UK next week and looking to merrily fill my new house (wirelessly) with tunes spotify seems pretty interesting after all the rave reviews I've been reading.So much so that I'm more than happy to dive in and pay for a premium account.Doing that will I "bypass the waiting list for invites" sorry to be so clueless but spotify.com is a blocked site where I am.Yep,you will bypass the waiting list.No invite is required if you sign up to a premium account.

John Duncan

2oldnslow:Secondary question I say a few suggestions about streaming spotify to x-box's PS3's etc using Jamcast and Airfoil has anyone any experiance of this ? I'm going to be setting up an "aitunes network" with a couple of AE if that's relevant.

Yes, airfoil allows you to stream anything playing on your PC to an airport express, it's what I use (well, to an apple TV now) and it works splendidly.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep, Premium members do not need an invite.

It's brilliant (esp when combined with Airfoil - millions of tracks in every room that has either a PC/Mac/LinuxBox(TM!) or iphone... genius), and I wouldn't be without it. Premium comes into it's own if you have an iPhone/iTouch where you can use the Offline Playlist function. Perfect for in the car.

Though there is one downside with using the Spotify/Airfoil combo. My daughter has worked out how to get Xmas songs playing in 5 rooms now (Mac in main system, iphone/dock in Kitchen, AE in lounge, PC in study and iTouch/dock in her bedroom)...there is only so much Slade one guy can deal with!

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys that's just what I wanted to hear. As I said was already planning on streaming itunes using a network of airport expresses controlled by Remote running on my wife's Touch and this sounds like it could be the icing on the cake.

Well apart from the overdose of Slade that is
emotion-41.gif

memo to self don't what ever you do let either of my teenage daughters get anywhere near this.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Very true. Slade is bad enough, but I couldn't bear that new-fangled Rhythm&Blues stuff that seems to be everywhere in the hit parade these days. Doesn't sound like Rhythm&Blues that I remember...cough cough...

A

Anonymous

Ahhh memories LOL. Put's me in mind of the Faithless track which has the line

"when R&B meant Arthur Conly Booker T and the MG's" or something similar but hey being of a certain age myself I know exactly what you mean.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Only just picked up on this thread. Bit of a long shot but have you any invites left at all? I've been on the waiting list for weeks now.

Shayn

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts