Spendor SA1 or PMC DB1i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone kindly enough to give some advice on these two speakers? Which speaker will be a better choice. (not consider the money difference) usually play in low volume. Most likely will play vocal, and pop.

need to find which one is more musical. Btw, I have exposure 3010S2 amplifier and gonna get Cyrus 8XPD amplifier soon. Any suggestion on this?

Thanks in advance.
emotion-2.gif

I've heard both but not with the same electronics. Both speakers have immense sonic virtues: the Spendors are a sealed box design, where the PMCs aren't. However, if it were my money I would choose the PMCs. The reasons are simple: 1) they sound remarkable at low volumes and.... 2) the PMC, IMO, are better VFM. The PMCs are about £ 850 whereas the Spendors are around £1300.

As ever, please audition before buying - my opinions are exactly that.....

Good luck

A

Anonymous

The only way you could possibly decide is to hear them both. They're rather different and I've heard raving reviews and screaming hell about both.

What do you value the most? The Spendors are very smooth sounding and have a very accurate bass. The PMCs are less accurate but will sound weightier. Some say the Spendors lack bass or don't punch hard enough (without current), some say the PMCs have an odd, detached, even boomy bass.

With money like this you need to hear them yourself. I was absolutely set on buying the Proac Tablette Ref 8 Sigs but didn't really like them when I heard them.

For me the SA1s have a magical quality that the PMCs don't. They image in such a way that leaves me hypnotised for as long as I listen to them.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Kevin

Either one of those will work well with the Cyrus 8xpd. They are quite different speakers, and both have their strong points. I can only recommend that you audition both on the amplifier you intend to own.

The DB1i's use transmission line to improve the bass response, so my in some rooms need a little space around them to work their best. The SA1's are a sealed cabinet, so may not quite offer the depth of the DB1i's, but will give a more even bass response and can be placed closer to room boundaries.

Although I'd prefer the SA1 overall, I think the DB1i's will sound better at lower volumes. Sealed cabinets aren't as efficient as ported ones, so like a little bit more juice.

mrc

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
........the SA1's are indeed a fine speaker, but having tried them for a week on the end of a 6vs2, in a small room I found them poor at low volume. To hear the excellent bass & treble I had to crank up the volume, whereapon they burst into life, but then found the midrange way too loud in comparison, so not for me unfortunately.

John Duncan

Owned the DB1+s, tried the SA1s expecting to be blown away, wasn't, bought AVI Neutron V instead (though in retrospect the DB1 has better bass, and is therefore probably better at lower volume, but at twice the price)...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Kevinz:

Can anyone kindly enough to give some advice on these two speakers? Which speaker will be a better choice. (not consider the money difference) usually play in low volume. Most likely will play vocal, and pop.

need to find which one is more musical. Btw, I have exposure 3010S2 amplifier and gonna get Cyrus 8XPD amplifier soon. Any suggestion on this?

Thanks in advance.
emotion-2.gif

I'm interested in why you are switching amps. The 3010S2 is a brilliant amp. What don't you like? I would think the Cyrus is a lateral move...

A

Anonymous

Thank you guys for your advices. I have auditoned the PMC DB1i with Exposure 3010S2, it was impressive, however, not that impressive. The clarity is one the small issue, probably because of the 3010S2, and the bass is not really my taste, too direct.

The dealer here do not carry Spendor SA1 due to the price issue.(not many people will go for it at that price range), however, I am very eager to know if it is really sounds like the HIFI review (Five Stars). And build quality is much better than PMC? I have heard Spendor old model couple months back, the vocal is brilliant, bass is little weak, but at this size, what can you expect :).

If anyone own SA1, please give some more comments.

And another choice is Dynaudio Focus 110, auditoned with MF A1 (new version). The orchestral music sound beautiful, but the whole sound is not quiet.

As I have no amplifier at moment, and probably will go for Cyrus 8XPD, really wants to know if SA1 or Focus 110 will be unregretted choice.

Thanks again.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Kevinz: ...
As I have no amplifier at moment, and probably will go for Cyrus 8XPD, really wants to know if SA1 or Focus 110 will be unregretted choice.

Thanks again.

I like the Dynaudio Focus and it is good at lower volumes but they have a lot of bass. A more powerful amplifier would probably be a good idea. There is also a nice active version.which has the added benefit of high/low frequency adjustments.

A

Anonymous

The SA1's are expensive but the laquer finishes are very nice indeed and they are in a league above the PMC DB1 for sound quality. I would consider partnering with the Quad 909 and 99 to hear them work well. Can't help thinking that the Cyrus sound is a bit lean for small speakers.

igglebert:The SA1's are expensive but the laquer finishes are very nice indeed and they are in a league above the PMC DB1 for sound quality. I would consider partnering with the Quad 909 and 99 to hear them work well. Can't help thinking that the Cyrus sound is a bit lean for small speakers.

As I've only heard the Spendors for less than an hour I'm probably not qualified to comment on the SA-1s with any real conviction, but when hooked up to the Naim/Cyrus system they didn't hit me between they eyes or have the WOW factor.
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Heard the SA1 and it did indeed sound very nice, but that was on the end of £4000 worth of class a amplification. I agree with iggle in that they are finished beautifully. Have listened to quite a few of the spendor models now and to sum it up i would say that they are all built beautifully, they all sound fantastic on the end of the correct electronics and they will probably last a fair number of years before you start to look at other speakers.

BUT i also think that they are vastly overpriced for what they are, ie cabinet materials, driver materials, bolts through face edges of drivers and tweeter, mass padding inside, sorry, accoustic damping. To sum it up, i think if all the models retailed for half the price they are then they would be worth the money.

A

Anonymous

If you would consider a floorstander, i know a shop that sells Spendor A5's for £1,100 and would be better than the SA1 on bass. if your interested will dig out a url

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts