Spendor s5e or Rega R5?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello! I've found a very good deal on a new pair of Spendor s5e for the price of Rega R5's which I've been considering for some time. Does anybody have experience with both of the speakers? I listen only to classical music, and amplication will follow according to the speakers I choose. Thanks as always!

A

Anonymous

I've listened to the Spendor S5E and I thought they were lovely for jazz especially when partnered with Cyrus kit - should be equally appealing for classical music too, I would think. Not listened to the Rega R5.

A

Anonymous

Both are very good speakers but for what you want, buy the Spendors, you won't look back.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
batonwielder:Hello! I've found a very good deal on a new pair of Spendor s5e for the price of Rega R5's which I've been considering for some time. Does anybody have experience with both of the speakers? I listen only to classical music, and amplication will follow according to the speakers I choose. Thanks as always!

Different sound, depends how you like your music and your room of course. Regas are faster, lighter (though not lean) sounding with an accurate, delineated bass given reasonable amplification. Spendors are a little fuller, warmer sounding, less focused and need good neutral/lean amplification with good damping factor to keep the plastic coned drivers under control ie. to prevent them from muddling the picture/bass. They are the more visceral speaker and thus perhaps the better choice for you but as an allrounder I'd choose the more uncoloured paper coned R5's. - Home trial mandatory for either one I think.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Spendor S5e and follow by Musical Fidelity KW250s all in one.

Life time investment for classical music lover
emotion-2.gif

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. I've been contemplating matching the Rega's with a tube integrated or the Spendors with the Naim Nait 5i.

I won't be home for another month or so, and it's driving me nuts! I really wish I could listen to the Spendors.ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Not sure how well the Nait will work with the Spendors due to the relatively low damping factor. I know Drummerman has commented on this before, where low damping factor amps don't keep plastic cones in control well enough to articulate the bass. See how you get on. I'm a bit of a valve amp fan (even though I bought speaker that will never partner valves ?!) and the Regas would be a delicious match for one. I've changed my mind on this thread already, terrible!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
batonwielder:

Thanks for the comments. I've been contemplating matching the Rega's with a tube integrated or the Spendors with the Naim Nait 5i.

I won't be home for another month or so, and it's driving me nuts! I really wish I could listen to the Spendors.

I've heard the R3's briefly with a fatman valve dock, hardly the best example, but it sounded good. I can imagine at the other end of a good tube amplifier they (or the 5's) would sound sublime and powerful. I think TM pointed you in the right direction with powerful MF's or, if you can't stretch that far, a cyrus8vs2 would match better than the Nait which probably does'nt have the neutrality or/and control/damping factor necessary though I have not heard that particular combination.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
batonwielder:

No apologies necessary.

Perhaps you or anybody could explain to me the whole damping factor matter? And how I can tell it apart? I'm still on the steep learning curve. Thanks,

There are people better qualified than myself to explain that but in simple terms it means the ability of an amplifier to control a cone ie. to prevent it (cone) from moving after the signal has passed through. This uncontrolled 'overhang' causes muddling and slows transients/bass. Some manufacturers quote damping factors of their amplifiers in the tech specs of the product. They can range from negative damping factors (- x) to many hundreds. Then there is the inherent damping of the cone and its surround itself. Manufacturers use different materials such as kevlar, plastic, metal, paper or combinations of them to achieve their respective goals.

A

Anonymous

...to build on this (at the risk of repeating it slightly), a low damping factor amp will have a looser control on the cone. Partner that with a lose cone and you can get a hefty bass response at the cost of speed, resolution and quality (generally). The opposite would be a high damping factor with a 'tight' cone resulting in a very fast sound but probably with leaner low bass. My Rotel has a high factor at 180. Musical Fidelity and Naim amps (generally) have lower factors (80?). Valve amp have very low damping factors which is why they can have a muddy and warm sounding bass on some speakers. It's all in the matching and what you prefer!

I should qualify that I'm not an expert in this either...

matthewpiano

Why do people assume that classical music always needs warm sounding kit? Gear like the Spendors can be great if you only like the slower and less dramatic works, but listening to a full range of classical music makes extraordinary demands on qualities such as timing, frequency response, soundstaging, and dynamic range. I'd go for the Regas every time. They will bring all sorts of classical music to life whilst retaining superb tonal reproduction. I think you'd find the Spendors warm and sludgy in comparison. However, the only way to make your decision is to listen to both.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Why do people assume that classical music always needs warm sounding kit? Gear like the Spendors can be great if you only like the slower and less dramatic works, but listening to a full range of classical music makes extraordinary demands on qualities such as timing, frequency response, soundstaging, and dynamic range. I'd go for the Regas every time. They will bring all sorts of classical music to life whilst retaining superb tonal reproduction. I think you'd find the Spendors warm and sludgy in comparison. However, the only way to make your decision is to listen to both.

Personally, I'd agree with your choice of Rega but only because I like that sort of sound. The spendors, matched well, have an authority and solidity of sound the Regas would be unable to match. They are more difficult to partner though.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
batonwielder:

What other speakers have the characteristics similar to Rega?

Also, why do people often recommend Naim for Spendor if low damping is a factor?

Perhaps one of the Editors could help with some advise. I believe AE uses Naim/PMC. I would imagine the little Nait would pair fine with the DB1i, the full(ish) bass making up for what can sound rather compressed through them with more accurate amplification, mainly due to their tiny size. They have a nice unfatiguing midrange and a good tweeter too so should sound fine with the 5i. You wont get the scale of larger speakers though unless you use a sub (I've never even checked if the Nait has pre-outs but I dont think so, so do that if you consider going that route (small speakers/sub). Other than that its probably Neat thats often recommended. Never heard them though TM, if he's, online, can probably help you there. Rgds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts