Spendor S3/5 or MA GS10 With Canbridge 640 Amp + CD + DAC Magic

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the 640 AMP +CD + Dac Magic, and am looking to upgrade my speakers to either MA GS10 or Spendor S3/5R Has anyone got an opinion on my choice of speaker , please bear in mind I am looking later on in the year to upgrade the Amp + CD with Cambrige again budget 2K and these speakers would be carried over

T

the record spot

I suppose my first question would be why you're starting with speakers...?

Apart from an obvious mismatch and assuming you haven't already fried an existing set of boxes for whatever reason, I'd be going down the "get your amp and CD sorted first". Unless you're getting the speakers for a very good price, I'd leave those two until the end.

Reason being I doubt you can tell much about the true nature of the speaker with that level of kit. I presume you're intending on buying the CA840 V2 CD and amp, but do you know how well they'll work with the two speakers you've listed? What'll you do if you if Richer Sounds don't give you a refund in the event you dislike the partnership? Why those two speakers only? Have you discounted other manufacturers already, or are you open to considering others?

Sorry for all the questions, but you're either missing some detail that's not in your original post and the rationale behind the question seems imbalanced to me as a consequence.

matthewpiano

Speakers of that quality are going to sound shocking on the end of the 640 amp. Its not even the best at its price and its faults are only going to be emphasised by the new speakers.

My suggestion? Start by upgrading the amplifier. Buy the 840A V2. Get used to that with your existing speakers and CD player, then upgrade the speakers, carefully auditioning to ensure a good match.

Your CD player, played through the DacMagic, will certainly give at least 740C levels of performance so I'd change that last.

A

Anonymous

Hello, the reason I am changing my speakers from the Epos M5 is I knocked one over and it is beyond repair, so the need is for speakers first and then the Amp / CD upgrade . Cambridge is not set in concrete but over the years I have had excellent service from them. The reson for the the speaker choice is one friend uses the pendors with his entry level Cyrus and another uses MA on his Kandy set up aand both sound superb

A

Anonymous

Hi The Room size is 10.50 Ft X 11 Ft moving later in the year to 12 X 13

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
OK so yes, S3/5R or GS10 or similar are about right for the size of room.

I am guessing you are prioritising imagery and not outright 'slam' for your proposed new system.

I would just get the speakers now and enjoy the amp upgrade as and when you can afford it.

Assuming you are not going to crank it up to 'party' volumes I cannot see any problem.

Don't ignore Leema Xero speakers as a possible alternative at just a smidge under the budget of your present speaker options. (Also from a BBC monitor 'heritage' designed by ex-BBC and recording studio folk and made in Wales.)...

http://www.leema-acoustics.com/xero.html

Maybe the Leema Pulse amplifier could make a great partner eventually.

A

Anonymous

AVI ADM9?

Many people reporting that these outperform more expensive separates.

T

the record spot

chebby:
OK so yes, S3/5R or GS10 or similar are about right for the size of room.

I am guessing you are prioritising imagery and not outright 'slam' for your proposed new system.

I would just get the speakers now and enjoy the amp upgrade as and when you can afford it.

Assuming you are not going to crank it up to 'party' volumes I cannot see any problem.

Don't ignore Leema Xero speakers as a possible alternative at just a smidge under the budget of your present speaker options. (Also from a BBC monitor 'heritage' designed by ex-BBC and recording studio folk and made in Wales.)...

http://www.leema-acoustics.com/xero.html

Maybe the Leema Pulse amplifier could make a great partner eventually.

Did you try the Xeros out recently Chebby? Were you the poster who was looking into some new standmounts for a smaller room?

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:
AVI ADM9?

Many people reporting that these outperform more expensive separates.

...good call if you want a very neutral sound. Really a very tempting product. I keep finding myself thinking about them. I need help
emotion-3.gif

TRENDING THREADS