Spendor Classic 4/5

CHFels

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
As an owner of Classic 3/1s, I am not surprised by the description of the sound! But my 3/1s are a bit more efficient and certainly go lower in the bass. I have useable output at 40hz at reasonable listening levels, but I wonder whether these 4/5s with a good subwoofer might not be even more satisfying . . .

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
The stands are £795.

Words fail me, which, for me, is most unusual.

As for the spkrs, I made wild guess at £600. Only a grand short.

I wish Spendor, a British company making quality products, all the best.

Now, where's that Fyne Audio brochure....

Gray

The stands are £795.

Words fail me, which, for me, is most unusual.

As for the spkrs, I made wild guess at £600. Only a grand short.

I wish Spendor, a British company making quality products, all the best.

Now, where's that Fyne Audio brochure....
Agree with you about the ridiculous stand price Mr C.
But if you think you're gonna get a Spendor Classic (or any other Spendor) for £600......:)
(I bought the cheapest speaker they ever made, the much bigger Prelude, which was £199.....but that was decades ago).

vinyl fan

Dec 26, 2020
Visit site
as an owner of the 4/5, i just cannot state how good they are! yes, may be low efficiency....for some....may be limited bass output for others, (btw what bass output does the world famous ESL 63 HAVE?) but as far as musical engagement goes, mid band transparency, and all the makes music at home so engaging and enjoyable, i don't think there is another speaker that one would find at this price that comes even close.....and before i leave let me say that i drive mine with an old REVOX 40 tube amp, just delivering a beautiful 10 watts a side, and i never found it not giving me good enough volume, not that i want deafening levels. and as far as price goes, let us remember that this REVOX 40 sold for a hefty 590 swiss francs, in its year of launch, 1963, and a good one even today command anything from 1500 to 2000 dollars. one has to account for the price of producing quality within the uk, and spendor makes its own drivers and cabinets, (except tweeters i think). and for those who just want to consider price as the main buying factor, there are bookshelves available right from 250 pounds....dont ask where or how they are made!! cheers and enjoy your music!

southleft

Apr 5, 2021
Visit site
Whilst I agree with many of the points made here in the comments, I feel sure that the single most important factor when listening critically is mentioned right there in the Classic 4/5 Review where it says: " ... with a touch of angling towards the loosening position ...". Honk if you agree!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts