Spendor A6

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
This might be interesting to a few people. I emailed spendor because I noticed that they changed their web site specs on the A6. It use to say:

Frequency range -6dB at 40 Hz anechoic

But they changed to to say:

Frequency range -6dB at 45 Hz anechoic

I ask them about this and here is their response:

Well spotted ...

We have been trying to make meaningful measurements on all our speakers, but that is far from easy! Objective measurements really don't tell the whole story as different models utilise different design styles and often give relative figures that do not correspond to actual performance. Once you put the speakers 'in room' everything is different again based on reflex tuning frequency and implementation. Sealed boxes have a different alignment again with a shift in the -3dB compared to -6dB point.

Anechoically, the difference in LF extension between A5 and A6 is small, yet the A6 breathes much more easily due to its reflex implementation, and once it's in an average room the difference is plain for all to hear. Similar situation with the ST... on paper the extension does not measure like its sounds as the linear flow port on that model is more complicated internally with a more expensive way to reduce resistance and keep port velocity to a minimum. Coupled with the higher grade electrical components, the bass control and body is at a whole new level.

All that is before we even stop to consider whether a microphone actually bears any resemblance to the human ear!

Anyway, we are currently revising all our measuements with microphone positions that mimic human hearing more accurately. We will also give a 'typical' in-room response bandwidth which will give a guide to how they will perform in a real room.

Perhaps every pair of ST's should come with a free T-shirt?...just let me know when you place your order for your ST's...

Regards,
Terry

Terry Miles
Operations and Technical Design Manager

SPENDOR AUDIO SYSTEMS LTD

A

Anonymous

All I can say is that I picked mine up two weeks ago and I can honestly say they are far and away the best speakers I've ever heard let alone owned and, barring a disaster, will be the last pair I every own. They are magnificent and they're not even run in yet. Congratualtion to Spendor on making such a world class product.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts