Spendor A6 rake angle?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Hi just wondered if anyone has played around with raising the front of their A6s and if so what differences they have noted.

set up: Room is 3.5m x 3.5m. Speakers are 2.1m apart and 2.3m from the listening position.

They're driven by a Cyrus 8xpd qx with an Olive 04HD as the player. ( would also be interested in hearing from users of this combination, Olive analogue out or digital out in to the Cyrus, which do you prefer?)

A

Anonymous

I got the idea from someone else while I was trying out some Kef R500s. (Rejected these in favour of the A6s)

Compared to my sitting position the A6 mid/bass driver is a bit low. Given that the crossover frequency is relatively high on ths driver I thought that firing the signal up a bit might help, it certainly hasn't made it worse.

I have a small amount of toe in too.

Ian.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Ian64od said:
Compared to my sitting position the A6 mid/bass driver is a bit low.

Stick them on a couple of breeze blocks each to see if that makes a difference, and go from there.

Having said that, my builder friends tell me there is no such thing as a breeze block - they are either concrete blocks or something else.

Sorry, not being terribly helpful am I?

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The spikes that came with the A6's are adjustable. My dealer recommended a bit of break in before I tried it so after about 3 months I figure its time. I'm going to do some fine tuning left to right and with up down angles.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
gregvet said:
omnibeard said:
OK poppit, have a nice week!

Have you been taking lessons frmo Drummerman there omnibeard? ;)

I don't need lessons, but he is a great teacher!

I have to say though that I was being totally serious... try raising the speakers to see if that makes a difference - I have raised floor standers before, by a tiny amount, and found that it made a positive difference. It might be breeze blocks, it might be something else, but it's worth trying.

Apologies if that makes me sound arrogant or annoying.

Actually, no apologies.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I raise the front spikes onto jenga blokes so the speakers lean back...... I have not set them flat for quite some time, will try it see if it makes a difference....lol (although a few manufacturers are doing it now)

Ps I have 'inverted speakers' mid bass driver above tweeter, I think thats why I did it in the 1st place

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I experimented today, not long, for about 15 minutes, raising the front bottom edge up about one half inch but with DVD cases which took the front spikes off the floor. Seemed to open up the vocals of Diana Krall a bit and the soundstage was larger. I will take more time this weekend and do it properly by raising the height of the spikes, then will post more. Have a great weekend!

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
its not particularly the rake angle you need, or at least it was not in my system. I found I had better results by lifting the speakers so that the tweeters are just below ear height when sitting listening. Two granite chopping boards under each speaker sorted it.

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for that recommendation. Presently I'm happy with the front spikes lifting the speakers. I'll see what I can do and give it a go. Where did you get the granite from?

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Ian64od said:
Hi, thanks for that recommendation. Presently I'm happy with the front spikes lifting the speakers. I'll see what I can do and give it a go. Where did you get the granite from?

B&Q or Tesco I think, just Granite chopping boards stuck together with a bead of mastic. Makes it easire to slide them around till you have the toe in etc as you want it. I then get some felt pads and stuck them to the granite under the spikes.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
O.k...dropped the front spikes directly onto the MDF, sat on the speakers to bed them in....... The bass has improved, the lower register on the voices too, Playing my current reference tune from Jill Scotts " The light of the Sun" track 7 'Hear my call' and....well.... it looks like I need to keep playing this Rotel, it's improving and no, its not a getting use to it thing, its improving......I'm actually laughing while I type this.

The Soundstage is unaffected in height and width my sweet spot is unchanged but the extra body on the instruments is pushing the music further out in the room than this Rotel managed before so its a little deeper from front to back..........lol.

May switch back and raise them again, but tonight I'm gonna go through my reference cds..... :rofl:

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my A 6 speakers home and sat down in my chair my ears were well below the tweeter height. I noticed a disconnect between the driver outputs( suckout).I contacted Spendor (nice people) who suggested raising the front spikes.I screwed them out to the max and gained about an inch difference front to back.Over a 10 ft listening diastance that works out to be about 10 inches raised.Problem solved, sound is now more coherent and balanced.

A

Anonymous

rrm said:
When I first got my A 6 speakers home and sat down in my chair my ears were well below the tweeter height. I noticed a disconnect between the driver outputs( suckout).I contacted Spendor (nice people) who suggested raising the front spikes.I screwed them out to the max and gained about an inch difference front to back.Over a 10 ft listening diastance that works out to be about 10 inches raised.Problem solved, sound is now more coherent and balanced.

Have done exactly that and it has made a genuine difference too, if Spendor advise it then that is good enough for me.

Thank you rrm.

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Question, before I start adjustments on my A6's do I understand correctly that your listening "ear level" was BELOW the tweeter and you RAISED the front spikes to further elevate the tweeter? What did the folks at Spendor say was the rationale for this? I would tend to think the level of the tweeter would have to come DOWN towards the ear which would mean raising the REAR of the speaker. Your help in understanding this is appreciated.

A

Anonymous

My ears were slightly above the tweeter, and because the crossover point is relatively high at 4khz I wondered if this might also benefit from being raised too, I tilted them up. Anyway they sound really good as they are.

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Jambalaya said:
Question, before I start adjustments on my A6's do I understand correctly that your listening "ear level" was BELOW the tweeter and you RAISED the front spikes to further elevate the tweeter? What did the folks at Spendor say was the rationale for this? I would tend to think the level of the tweeter would have to come DOWN towards the ear which would mean raising the REAR of the speaker. Your help in understanding this is appreciated.

my error in the OP: I should have said that originally my ears were ABOVE the height of the tweeters.This should now make more sense.

TRENDING THREADS