Speed up PC with SD card or USB stick using ReadyBoost

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Whilst I was cleaning up non used programs and things from the startup menu, defraging etc on my PC in an effort to make it run faster I came across ReadyBoost built into windows. You pop in a memory stick or SD card 16GB for £4.99 and enable ReadyBoost and configure it for. Voilà your PC is much faster. Simple, cheap and fast.

A

Anderson

iQ Speakers said:
Whilst I was cleaning up non used programs and things from the startup menu, defraging etc on my PC in an effort to make it run faster I came across ReadyBoost built into windows. You pop in a memory stick or SD card 16GB for £4.99 and enable ReadyBoost and configure it for. Voilà your PC is much faster. Simple, cheap and fast.

Ready boost doesn't make your computer run faster, I honestly don't know if it is really if any benefit of all unless you have a scarce amount of RAM, like less than 2Gb.

My HTPC got 16Gb, the Mrs lappy has 8Gb and the girls all have 4Gb. So this won't do anything for us.

The way ready boost works is to preload applications that you use most often into your USB because this in theory can be faster to read from that HDD. Which also means you won't get any benefit from doing this if you're using a SSD or something like that either.

Also if you are seeing an increase speed application loading in the long run you would greatly benefit from installing some additional ram yourself, if you need help with this give me a shout.

A

Anderson

If you're in the process of doing a clean up have a check of 'msconfig', which is a menu of everything that loads when you turn your PC on :)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I worked as a computer enginner from 1996 at Comordore, worked on there very first PC's, field service engineer for another 10 years or so, then went into account managment for Dell and Evesham Technology. thanks for your kind offer, unfortunatly I have a long unforgiving nature when crossed.

A

Anderson

iQ Speakers said:
I worked as a computer enginner from 1996 at Comordore, worked on there very first PC's, field service engineer for another 10 years or so, then went into account managment for Dell and Evesham Technology. thanks for your kind offer, unfortunatly I have a long unforgiving nature when crossed.

Well that's cute, with so much experience I'm surprised you've just come across ready boost, it first featured with Window's Vista, some said that it was to try and mitigate the terrible job OEM's did with supplying adequate hardware to run the OS.

Try this Google search "how to install RAM", might help (just make sure you buy the right stuff).

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I was a little harsh but you did anoy me intensley. Anyway, my understanding is that it acts as a Cache for R/W to the HD. It has certaily speeded my PC up, not that it was slow just have lots of things open these days and tend to leave it on all the time, so it also helps my not having to re start so often. Its a Dell Vostro all in one 4Gb the additionl memory is about £70 and i have 2 of them so thought id give the Readyboost a go it works. Some of the first sytems i worked on had 256Kb RAM for a 4 user system and they were quick! dedicated OS no graphics. 20Gb HD Any way no doubt I will upgrade to 8Gb shortly.

A

Anderson

iQ Speakers said:
bigboss said:
Stop patronising Anderson.
BB im not sure if that was aimed at me or Anderson? However he was disrapectful to me and other members of the forum a few months ago, and no apologie.

Im sorry you felt I was disrespectful to you. X x x

A

Anderson

Cool.

Is it running Vista, 7 or 8? If it's running 7 or 8 you can get a free upgrade to Windows 10 from the 29/07/2015 via Windows update. Windows 10 is further optimised to run a bit quicker with less resources so worth looking into.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
umm Windows 10 i really dont like the look, seems Window 8 was missed by alot of people. Still no dout i will give it a whirl, im running windows 7 just managed to get these to PC's just before windows 8 was compulsery. Touch screen 23" all in one i3 4GB wirles K/B Mouse £199 each from Dell outlet! Bargin. When I joined Dell thay had a 34 billion turnover 4 billion in profit. I had the chance to join them 5 years earlier, shares doubled every 2-3 months, my collouges joined, came out close on 1M worth of shares when the hit $60, dooh missed again.

A

Anderson

Oh, bad time to ask you to lend me £20?

Have you looked at Windows 10, it has a proper start menu, more like 7 than 8. You probably like it more, Windows 8 though ugly was a lot more secure and stable than 7. Windows 10 further improved in this but gives you our beloved start menu back so for me anyway it's a win win.

jjbomber

Anderson said:
If you're in the process of doing a clean up have a check of 'msconfig', which is a menu of everything that loads when you turn your PC on :)

And check every time you update itunes or Spotify. They both seem to issue an update every month that changes your settings, so they automatically run every time you start your computer. You have to visit msconfig, and then Start Up, then uncheck the boxes for those you don't need running all the time.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So in the search for even more speed, I bought a Crucial 8Gb upgrade for my Dell Vostro 360 AIO spec said it had 2 x 2GB modules in. Back off located cover for RAM its an all in one job, bingo one 4GB replaced with 2 new 4GB, so I then moved onto Mrs B and the kids machie same PC and yes it too had one 4GB module. So in it went, 2 8GB PC's now for £36 result and much quicker. If only everthing in life went like this!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts