matthewpiano

I've started wondering whether my Azur 740 CD and amp have more to give than the excellent Mordaunt-Shorts reveal. I suspect that upgrading to speakers in the £500-800 range would bring about even further resolution and detail.

The ATCs look interesting but would my amp be strong enough for them and would they give me a well balanced sound? Am I right to be looking back towards stand mounts or should I stick with floorstanders? I sit about 8 feet from my speakers and they are about 6-7 feet apart. I have a pair of quality Atacama speaker stands for any stand mounts I might buy. I listen to a massive range of music including classical, pop/rock, rock/blues/heavy rock, folk, jazz etc. I like a neutral sound - not too warm and certainly not bright or screachy. I like plenty of attack and pace in the sound as well. I love the Mordaunt-Short sound but want more of the same if its possible. I've decided the Mezzo 6s would just be too large for my room.

I would be grateful for any shortlist suggestions that could work well with my electronics from other forum members and the WHFS&V team.

A

Anonymous

Mezzo's 6 too big? Really? I have the feeling that their not fussy on room placement, but this is only the feeling I get from poking around with them in the shop I work at. Try a home demo though, they're fabulous speakers. If they are indeed too big, might the 2's a worthy option?

A

Anonymous

I've heard good things about the KEF IQ7s from Drummerman, esp with the Cambridge stuff. You know, if you have some breathing space behind the speaker position the Dynaudio Focus 110 might work well. Superb speakers. Enough bass to make them sound a lot bigger than they are with mids and treble to beat your current boxes. The ATCs are allegedly very neutral and detailed but whether they'll give you a musical synergy I don't know...

matthewpiano

Thanks for the input. Sticking with MS would certainly be the safest option because I love their sound. Do you think the Mezzo range would give me what I am looking for? I know I'll have to demo them, but its always good to get some insight from someone who has heard an item already....

A

Anonymous

The IQ7 (and SE's) aren't bad speakers,they're pretty good actually, you might like those too. They're not for me though, I much prefer the Mezzo 6's. I find the Mezzo's more neutral in their sound, they way voices sound on them is just fantastic. I think they might be what you're looking for, but do get a home demo, you might not like them as much as I do. Focal Chorus 816's might be worth a look either, very good speakers with an incredibly clear and detailed treble (not bright though!). Sadly haven't heard the ATC's so can't comment on those.

matthewpiano

I will have a good listen to the Mezzo 2s I think as a starting point and then, if I miss the clout of a floorstander I'll try the 6s. Reviewing the measurements again there isn't a huge difference between the 6s and my 914s in size so don't think it will be a problem in the end. I'll look at the Focals as well.

I think I'm going to upgrade the speakers and then I might gradually look at a transition to the new Cambridge 840 pre/power combo, starting by using the power amp from the pre-outs of my 740. Will have to listen to the latest Cyrus and Roksan kit just to make sure, but I can't see myself walking away from the Cambridge sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts