Speakers with Arcam Solo Neo

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I've dallied with replacing my 20 year old Arcam Alpha+ CDP, Arcam Alpha 3 Amp & Linn Index speakers with a Solo Neo.

Unfortunately I live in a part of the country where, while I can audition, the limited number of retailers who not carry a large selection of speakers from different manufacturers.

One retailer stocks MA (I've read that they go well with Arcam) and Dynaudio (also aware of positive comments with Arcam). Another retailer is however almost exclusively KEF.

Any thoughts on which would be a better match and particular models?

Thanks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Solo has pretty robust amplification, so it will drive speakers better than it really ought to, so you pretty mich have a free reign here to choose what you want.

As you are limited in your choice, look at the Monitor Audio RX1 or RX2, depending on the size of your room, and you can even look at the RX6's if you have a particularly large room and want very good low level listening. Dynaudio's DM2/6 and DM2/7 are worthy looking at, but something like the Excite 12's or Excite 16's are a much better quality speaker (and better than the Excite floorstanders, in my opinion). Again, the DM3/7's are the ones to look at if you have a particularly large room. The KEF Q300's and Q700's are a good place to start with KEF, but the R100 and R300 standmounts are much better performing models, and the Q900's or R500's will be an easy load for the Solo - you could probably even get away with the R700's too.

You could look at other manufacturers if you're willing to go mail order, but that aspect will be a little risky, as you may end up not even liking any that you order without listening to. I think it would be best to stick to what you can try, especially as your retailers are local (in case of any problems) and I assume you have the possibility of a home loan facility.

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the great replies guys.

I listen to a wide range of music but mostly rock - Rush, Muse, Springsteen, Deep Purple to name but a few. My listening room is c5m x 4m.

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I should also have asked if there are any alternatives at similar budget to the Solo Neo?

Marantz separate cd/amp plus separate streamer?

Once again, thanks for your help.

calpark46 said:
I've dallied with replacing my 20 year old Arcam Alpha+ CDP, Arcam Alpha 3 Amp & Linn Index speakers with a Solo Neo.

Unfortunately I live in a part of the country where, while I can audition, the limited number of retailers who not carry a large selection of speakers from different manufacturers.

One retailer stocks MA (I've read that they go well with Arcam) and Dynaudio (also aware of positive comments with Arcam). Another retailer is however almost exclusively KEF.

Any thoughts on which would be a better match and particular models?

Thanks.

Having owned Arcam amps for many years I've found the following matches really well:

Monitor Audio, Focal, Usher, PMC, Dali...

Depends on your budget and whether the preference is floorstanding or stand mounts.

calpark46 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi calpark46

Your welcome.

Your budget for speakers is?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Musicraft

Speaker budget probably approx £600.

Thanks

Hi calpark46

Thanks for your reply.

In addition to Monitor Audio's Silver RX2's, Dynaudio's DM 2/6 & DM 2/7's I'll recommend Tannoy's Revolution DC6 speakers.

Btw, if you are happy to consider used loudspeakers then ATC's SCM11 monitors are also worth bearing in mind as you might be able to find used pair within budget.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts