Speakers to pair with an Onkyo TX-SR505E

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to get an Onkyo TX-SR505E soon following good reviews in what hi-fi and elsewhere. I have a few questions:

- the HDMI connection is pass through. I'm guessing this means its pretty much compatible with every HDMI standard (i.e. future ones as well) as it simply passes the same signal through without touching it?

- what's a set of decent speakers to pair with this? Looking to spend about the cost of the receiver on speakers (£250-300) unless someone tells me thats a bad idea and there's a better combination? I'm looking at the KEF KHT1005 which seem quite good although they are getting fairly old now I guess so maybe there is something better for the money? Should I be worried that the receiver outputs up to 130W but the speakers only handle up to 100W? Isn't there a good chance I could blow them if I go too high?

A

Anonymous

I love the kefs the style and build are both good and as for sound well 2006 award not to shabby but when they came out in 2004 they cost over £400 now you can buy the set for £200 thats a good deal the only thing is they come in silver without the option of black if you have gone for the 505 in black then maybe the jamos a102hcs5 set but I have not seen them in the flesh so build quality may not be as good as the kefs they have face lift models due soon with a new black finish but then the price is back up to £400

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The KEFs would be fine, the Onkyo will handle them no problem, but you might also consider the Jamo A102HCS5 (£250) package which was our Best Style Speaker package up to £500 in the 2007 Awards.

A

Anonymous

I'll be getting the 505 in silver probably so the KEFs are a nice match. The Jamo's only handle 60W according to your January issue. Is this a good match to the 130W output from the Onkyo receiver? I'm a bit worried about getting all this shiny new kit and blowing it soon after setting it all up (or someone else doing so). How does the sound quality compare on the KEFs and Jamos? The what hifi buyers guide rates them both 5 out of 5 so it's hard to tell which is better for me. I'll be watching a lot of movies, playing a few games and listening to some music from both ipod and cd through it.

A

Anonymous

donot worry about power the 130 watts is into6ohms at1khz 1chan driven and 80 watts in to a 8ohm load 2 channels thats what it says in my instruction manual not been able to try it with my tannoyefx 5.1 as city link have lost them somewhere. why dont they qoute power into 8 ohms all channels driven.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Because you get much more impressive figures if you quote at a slightly lower impedance, at a single frequency, with generous allowance for total harmonic distortion, and with just one channel driven. And such figures matter to manufacturers because some consumers seem to be impressed by big power numbers.

A

Anonymous

I too am in the same position, just bought the Onkyo 505 and can't decide between the two sets of speakers, however as I got my 505 in black am looking to go for the Jamo's, has anybody actually been able to test them for performance?

A

Anonymous

I see. I don't know much about how the companies quote their figures so I'll just trust that these speakers are a good match and buy them soon. £200 is quite a bargain I think. Anyone have any ideas when the new revision of the KEFs will be out?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have the Jamos in black. Fantastic sound for the money. They look and feel much more expensive than they cost and they will deliver more than enough welly from your Onkyo, unless you have an enormous room with really high celings. My lounge is 17ft x 12ft and I have the Sony STRDA1200 which is 100 watts per channel. You won't need even half of that for you to turn it down for being too loud. The speakers are really easy to set up and the sub is superb. Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Has what hifi reviewed the Tannoy SFX? How do they rate them compared with the KEF KHT1005?

I have a room 13'3"x16'7" with 11'2" high ceilings so I'm concerned about getting the best speakers to suit the room.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I haven't heard the SFX but the newer and better reviewed EFX I have. They sound good but can't live with the Jamos. I bought them way back in May before they were reviewed, I was rather chuffed when they won the best style package under £500 six months later.

A

Anonymous

I have just ordered the Jamo A102 HCS5 from Lambda Tek at £186 including delivery, cant wait to team them up with the Onkyo505.

Will post when all working

A

Anonymous

Are the Jamo's a good "cost effective" partner for the TX-SR605?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts