Speakers to match Yamaha AVR - or do I need a Marantz?

Hi folks,

That's my first post on this forum - so apoligies for any possible mistakes.

I've owned Wharfedale 8.3 floorstanding speakers for a long time - they weren't in use for the last year. After my seach for soundbars to improve awful LED TV sound, I've ended with budget AVRs also to utilize my old 8.3s. So, I've ended with buying a new Yamaha RX-V477 and a used Wharfedale 8 series center in mint condition. I know that 479s are arriving soon, but 477 was quite a bargain.

I've done YPAO calibration, just decreased some low frequency and added some highs. Even with 3.0 setup, cinema sound is offers great improvement over tiny tv sound. Atmosphere is spacious and dialogues are clear.

I've tried my chance in music from Spotify, which the amp can receive stream directly - but speaking frankly, that was well below my expectations.

So, I need some improvement over the current setup to be enjoy music, especially at low volumes.

Alternatives I have in my mind are;

- Change with a proper / matcing speaker setup with Yamaha.. I would really need advice on that..?

- Change to Marantz NR1504 and Monitor Audio speaker setup (MR series?) - which obviously will be more costly..

Anyway, I'd appreciate all your comments and support.

Thanks in advance

Cem

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi.

AVR's can sometimes be a little daunting! I suggest checking settings may help with music. It won't sound great with 3.0. Try Pure Direct setting which will force stereo and probably be the best setting for music. For films and TV a sub will help shedloads ofcourse.

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Are there no setting that boost low quality compressed music? I know when i had the Denon 2100 and the Marantz 5009 they both had low medium and high boost for compressed files

Failing that you can alway get a DAC that should do the trick

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Cem Filiz, I want to share my findings with you. I currently use RX-V477 in my private room setup. At the same time I also keep some other AVRs in my storage like Onkyo TX-NR609 and Denon AVR-1909. I like to use them in rotation basis to pair with Wharfedale Diamond 9.

I think the RX-V477 sounds fine (no issues) with movies, but for music, it lacks of warmth & crisp. Music playback is nicely handled without hardness or brightness, therefore we shouldn't be worry of having headache, but, the presentation is too basic. Sometimes too straight forward. Unlike the onkyo and denon AVRs which are more talented with hifi quality music presentation.

I hope you don't mind with my opinion. No hard feeling :) I think your speakers are good enough. Changing to other speakers might be a mistake, and still doesn't solve your problem.

Despite of the saying, please don't get me wrong. I love my RX-V477, to play movie in my room all night long. The sound is pleasant and easy to listen.

Marantz sound character could be brighter for Wharfedale Diamond 8. (Bright is not good).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts