speakers to go with Musical Fidelity

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me out!!

I have a Musical Fidelity A3 CD player and a Musical Fidelity A1 amp (its a mk3). Any sugestions for speakers that would work well with my system??? I am assuming high sensitivity speakers as the amp is low powered. I mainly listen to artists such as Katie Melua, Paolo Nutini, Jason Mraz, Pink Floyd and also Nine Inch Nails...

Thanks in advance,

James

A

Anonymous

Forgot to say my budget is £1000ish and have been told MA RX6's would be a good match but would really like a few more sugestions.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely reccommend giving Monitor Audio a go.

I have just set up a seperate system for music which has a Musical Fidelity X-A2 amp and Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. I'm not great at technical terms but the sound is strong and fast but not in an over-analytcal way.

Listened to Nine Inch Nails - Further Down the Spiral and its never sounded so good.If you know that album you'll know just how demanding it is. Not listened to the others you mention so might be worth taking a selection if you're auditioning.

Also something quite subtle listening to live version of Wasted Years by Iron Maiden the bass guitar bit in the middle is so spot on I had to listen to track again to make sure.

A

Anonymous

Hi Richrad. Thanks for the advice. Yeah Further down the spiral is very dynamic and I recon The Fragile is also a real system tester!

I have heard the RX6's with a Sugden CDP and amp and was really impressed but was just worried that my A1 may lack a bit of oomph.

So do you find the RS6 a pretty good match then? They would certainly be cheaper than the RX's and worth consideration if the sound is still favourable. I do love the piano black finish tho... very nice!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a great match but I'm quite new back to proper hi-fi, having been in themini system wilderness for too long. Obviously I can't comment on the A1 but I'd have thought all MF amps share similar attributes.
Also my music system was part of an eBay get as much as you can for the budget project and from what I've heard the RX6s move things along a bit.
BTW I got my new/boxed RS6s off eBay for £271 delivered so that would save a big chunk of budget, but I think I got an unusually good bargain.

A

Anonymous

That does seem like a very good deal. The sugden that I heard the RX6's with was a class A amp like the A1 and I was told that it was the nearest sounding amp he had in store. I guess I should just take my amp along with me and have a demo of the RX6.

He also had some very lovely looking Totem Arro's in the shop I may contemplate getting a demo on although they are outside my budget. It does seem like the Monitor Audio's are the way to go so fingers crossed I will like them paired with my set up.

Thanks again Richard for the advice... I think you have pointed me in the right direction and have confirmed what I was already thinking!

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've heard the A1 driving a pair of Elac BS243 speakers and the results were very, very good. Elac is a German brand that probably doesn't enjoy the exposure it deserves in England but they make fine speakers using a ribbon-type tweeter (they call it "Jet'').

The BS243 is a small bookshelf speaker finished in black lacquer and has a rated sensitivity of 87 dB/W/m. Nominal impedance is 4 Ohm with a minimum of 3.6, so the A1 can drive then without breaking a sweat. They are rear-ported and come with the usual foam bungs to control the bass.

Elac also provide attachments for the Jet tweeter in case buyers find the treble too overpowering. Finally, also provided are a pair of white gloves and polishing cloth so owners can keep the lacquer in good shape. I believe the cost is around 900 pounds.

A

Anonymous

I really enjoy the sound of my focal through the MF gear. Super detailed without being clinical. Try out the Focal 816V

Quickben

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
Peter Foate:I really enjoy the sound of my focal through the MF gear. Super detailed without being clinical. Try out the Focal 816V

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I was considering the Focal 826W's for my next round of upgrades and would like to hear what Pete has to say about them ? Especially the bass response and soundstage ?

Again, sorry for the slight hijack. . .

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I really like the Monitor Audio GS10s with my Musical Fidelity A3.5 CD and amp, however I didn't get the best out of them until I upgraded my interconnects

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts