Speakers to audition?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm not upgrading immediately but I think my speakers (currently MS Avant 906i) are the next target. Was hoping to spend around 600 pounds but could potentially stretch to a grand if I were absolutely in love with the speakers.

Mainly listen to vinyl on Roksan Radius V with Denon DL-160. 70s-80s music, most genres -- pop, rock, punk, new wave, even a bit of electronica and country. I also do FLAC of more recent rock/indie through my M-Audio Audiophile soundcard, and the occasional movie on the computer. Amp is an Audiolab 8000a, early black one with a phono stage.

My room is maybe 5m by 4.5m or so. Not so big but I really prefer floorstanders. Ideally I'd like something that would integrate well with my current system but might give me some room to grow (e.g., might get a new amplifier within the next year). I want something powerful and expansive, with great mids. Maybe a little brighter than the MS speakers I've currently got. Not too bothered about how low the bass goes as I might eventually get a sub.

Without knowing too much about these things, a brief and uninformed search of this site has left me with the following list: Kef IQ5SE at the low end, Dali Ikon 6 at the high end, and in between MS Mezzo 6, B&W 683 or 684. I might be auditioning the B&W speakers this weekend. Can anyone characterize those speakers, tell how they might sound with my system, or offer other suggestions?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm...

For your taste in music and using vinyl i think the M/A RS6 speakers could be a good choice or the B&W 685 standmount speakers on decent stands.

The B&W 684's and 683's really need to be driven well to get the best out of them and IMO i dont think your amp is up to the task. Could be possible with the RS6's as well but id still try; they kick well above their price tag :)

If youre toying with getting a new amp as well the M/A RS6 speakers can be got for around the £500 so getting a new (or decent 2nd hand amp via eBay etc) could be in as well (more so if you sell your audiolab and use that towards the amp/speakers).

I think a good NAD C352 or NAD C355BEE integrated amp would do you well and would suit your tatses in music too!

If you do feel that a new amp could be in the mix; then id review the B&W 684/683's.

T

the record spot

I see Klipsch have a new range coming out - standmounters and floorstanders. Can't recall the model number immediately, but their horn tweeter floorstander at around £699 looks rather special. If it matches up soundwise, it could be a real winner.

A

Anonymous

Just buy the same as me - it's the best ;)

ÿ

You should defo audition the config anyway, it's a winner.

ÿ

And if you still want floorstanders then maybe go for a NAD 355BEE or even higher up the range with some 684/683sÿ

ÿ

Edit: Also I was planning on getting a sub with my system, but I found that the bass was more than enough (I have even used foam bungs in the bass ports), and I found the sub to sound dis-jointed from the speakers sound. Though a sub is good for movies.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for your suggestions.

d_a_n1979: From what I've read about the M/A RS6 I'm a little afraid they'd be
too bright. How do you think they sound? I see what you mean about the B&W
speakers -- 200W into 8 ohms is quite a lot. Would one of Roksan's amps be up
to the task? I've had an eye on some used Kandy/Caspian amps.

the record spot: Intriguing. I've liked Klipsch's computer speakers in the
past but never heard their hifi. How does it sound?

Pmaninit: You're lucky to be so satisfied with your system :) Since that's the second
recommendation for NAD maybe I'll have to take a look. I'm really just don't
like the look of standmounts, but I'll see if I can audition NAD + 685/4/3.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lydgate, with respect to d_a_n1979 I think his suggestion on the amp front is nothing more than a sideways step, the Audiolab is a more than capable amp (60Wpc if I remember correctly)a true classic, not to everyone's taste sure, but capable none-the-less and would be up to the job of driving any of the B&Ws you mention.
I suggest taking it with you when you audition speakers, it's not very big, and perhaps compare it to the afore mentioned NADs
Have fun and please let us know what you decide to buy.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lydgate:Thanks all for your suggestions.

d_a_n1979: From what I've read about the M/A RS6 I'm a little afraid they'd be
too bright. How do you think they sound? I see what you mean about the B&W
speakers -- 200W into 8 ohms is quite a lot. Would one of Roksan's amps be up
to the task? I've had an eye on some used Kandy/Caspian amps.

Pmaninit: You're lucky to be so satisfied with your system :) Since that's the second
recommendation for NAD maybe I'll have to take a look. I'm really just don't
like the look of standmounts, but I'll see if I can audition NAD + 685/4/3.

IMO the M/A RS6's are only bright/forward sounding when matched with the wrong system (i.e. Cyrus etc...)

Dont get me wrong; Cyrus is lovely stuff and i may be buying the 8v2 integrated amp myself soon due to their prices but they need to be matched with the right speakers. The M/A range use metal tweeters so they need a smooth and verging on warm sounding system to get the best out of them (i.e. Arcam).

I had the full Arcam Alpha 9 system (integrated/power and CDP) matched with some RS6's and they sounded sublime. Solid, deep and punchy bass; smooth and detailed midrange and great, crisp & clear treble.

The Roksan amps (more so the Kandy LIII or the K2) would definately be up to powering the B&W 684/683 speakers. I heard these demo'd a while back and they sounded superb; they were using a Rega Apollo CDP at that time.

A

Anonymous

The Klipsch horn speakers are the RF63s, but be warned if you install these you should seriously be looking at a new amp to drive them. They could also do serious damage to your house.
emotion-3.gif

simmel.

T

the record spot

lydgate:

Same here alas, but they're a big player outside the UK. Here's the model I was on about, the RF-62, £649 and I'm keen to see a review before too long:-

RF62400x400.jpg

...and here's the link to the product on the Klipsch site:-

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-62.aspx

T

the record spot

LOL - the trade price (I assume that's what it is) is on a download as an Excel file, the RF-62 is listed £349, but you can buy from Klipsch direct at £649. I assume the SRP will match that in the shops. Their dealer list is confined to the Klipsch UK HQ so far, so these are early days.

Any chance WHF might pick up a review? There is a news item for the range listed onthe site here and I'd have thought the company would be keen to get some coverage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts