Speakers that can handle music and cinema surround sound

PeterCu

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m looking to buy an AV receiver and set of surround speakers that will provide excellent cinema 5.1 sound plus reasonable stereo music from my iPhone. I don’t play music that loud but need a reasonable bass.

I like the look of the Yamaha RX-V675 AV receiver but what speakers should I buy? Is there a speaker package with meaty enough front speakers for music plus rear speakers for home cinema. I want to avoid having two sets of speakers at the front, one for music and one for surround sound. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I assume some surround speakers don’t play audio that well. Don’t mind if the speakers are full size floor mounted or compact.

I’m on a budget so would like if possible to spend no more than £600-£700 including the AV receiver which is £300 at richer sounds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Peter.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi there how are you.

For your budget, if about half of it is going on the amp and the rest on speakers ask Richer sounds if you can audition these.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/wharfedale/dx1-hcp/whar-dx1-gls-whi

The fact the amp is a 7.1 amp. To start with this package you will have 5.1, 5 sattelites and the subwoofer (.1) in the future you could buy yourself some Wharfedale floorstanders or bookshelf speakers (standmount) and make the package 7.1.

7.1 is yor 3 front channels. L-C-R then 2 surrounds (eitherside) and 2 surround backs/rears (behind you) Sorry if you already know this. So the 5.1 is your L-C-R and 2 surrounds.

If the amp, speakers and subwoofer are set right you would listen to music with the subwoofer on. Remember the sub is not just for loads of bass in the audio you are listening to but it adds the weight of the sounds if it's set up correctly. I don't know if the amp automaticlly send sound to the sub when listening to music as it might not but the speakers look like some nice little bookshelf speakers and I think they will handel music fine.

Like I said see if you can audition a set. Don't forget to factor in all the cabling to connect your system up as it will most likely be extra cost. Should fit your budget fine. Get the thickest speaker cable you budget will allow, that will help most getting the best out of the speakers.

Hope that helps.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Firstly, you have to decide whether you want a sub/sat type package or build a system based on normal hi-fi speakers. Very generally, hi-fi speakers (standmounts or floorstanders) are better for music, and satellite speakers tend to be better for movies. Maybe have a listen to both types of systems and see which route you want to take. You may feel that a sub/sat system is good enough for your music, or that a hi-fi based speaker system is good enough for your movie viewing.

I'd highly recommend spending your budget on the front pair, or on the front pair and a centre, in order to allow higher quality speakers to be used. This will give you a better system in the long run, and the rears/sub can be added when finds allow. Personally, I'd spend it on the front pair, then add a centre later, then rears, then sub.

I'd get yourself along to a dealer and try some speakers out with an AV receiver that is the same, or equivalent to what you have. Don't try speakers with AV receivers costing several thousand pounds, or two channel hi-fi amps. You need to know the speakers you are looking at are going to be driven properly by the receiver you have. If the receiver is driving them properly, you should have an exciting, punchy sounding system. If things are a bit dull and plodding along, then the receiver isn't good enough to drive the speakers properly.

IF you are looking to upgrade the receiver any time soon, I'd audition with the receiver you will be looking to buy, not your current one.

PeterCu

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I'm fine thanks, hope you're having a good day. Thanks for the info. The Wharfedale DX1 HCP speakers look good but I won't know for sure until I hear them. Haven't had a chance to look at the other stuff yet. I'll find a dealer in Colchester and see if they can do me a demo with the Yamaha receiver. I'd better get some decent music on my iPhone first or it will be embarassing! Thanks, Peter.

PeterCu

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi David, Thanks for the info. I watch movies more than listen to music so I guess I need a sub/sat type package. I like the idea of buying the front speakers first or buying a set of surround speakers now then upgrading the fronts later to something more powerful. I'll try out some speakers at a dealer. It will be interesting to see how well sub/sat speakers perform with music. Thanks, Peter.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Firstly, you have to decide whether you want a sub/sat type package or build a system based on normal hi-fi speakers. Very generally, hi-fi speakers (standmounts or floorstanders) are better for music, and satellite speakers tend to be better for movies. Maybe have a listen to both types of systems and see which route you want to take. You may feel that a sub/sat system is good enough for your music, or that a hi-fi based speaker system is good enough for your movie viewing.

I'd highly recommend spending your budget on the front pair, or on the front pair and a centre, in order to allow higher quality speakers to be used. This will give you a better system in the long run, and the rears/sub can be added when finds allow. Personally, I'd spend it on the front pair, then add a centre later, then rears, then sub.

I'd get yourself along to a dealer and try some speakers out with an AV receiver that is the same, or equivalent to what you have. Don't try speakers with AV receivers costing several thousand pounds, or two channel hi-fi amps. You need to know the speakers you are looking at are going to be driven properly by the receiver you have. If the receiver is driving them properly, you should have an exciting, punchy sounding system. If things are a bit dull and plodding along, then the receiver isn't good enough to drive the speakers properly.

IF you are looking to upgrade the receiver any time soon, I'd audition with the receiver you will be looking to buy, not your current one.

Hi Peter, David's comments are pretty much what I would have advised. As a rough guide consider spending at least twice as much on your speaker setup as your receiver. Even though the Yamaha is now £300, think of spending circa £1000 for the 5.1 setup. The Yamaha has been discounted, some of the popular speaker models will not be discounted, eg Dali Zensor or MA Bronze range. Although I have a seperate hifi system for music, the MA BX2's are quite acceptable for general music listening, I listen to a lot of internet radio with them, and there are lots on the forum that rave over the Dali Zensor 3's (search the hifi section for the threads). Maybe look at speakers for front left/right that are circa £250-£300 a pair and buid from there.

Also, I think that if you buy in stages (which is what I did), you are much more likely to be happier with your purchase for both music and hc, and much less likely in the medium term to want to waste money upgrading.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts