Speakers popping out

malart

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, recently picked up mission cyrus 1 amp and a pair of tdl speakers in a job lot. When i connect thr speakers and turn on the amp, there is a loud low pitched hum and the speaker cones fly out to there full outmost position. Hope this makes sense. just wondered if the amp was worth fixing ? (Speakers are fine with another amp. Thank you, mal.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
malart said:
Hi, recently picked up mission cyrus 1 amp and a pair of tdl speakers in a job lot. When i connect thr speakers and turn on the amp, there is a loud low pitched hum and the speaker cones fly out to there full outmost position. Hope this makes sense. just wondered if the amp was worth fixing ? (Speakers are fine with another amp. Thank you, mal.

Sounds like the speakers have run into DC (not a good thing) so don't let them near the amp again and just hope it hasn't baked the speaker coils. (You'd probably smell that if it had!)

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
malart said:

Do your amp is maybe clipping? Better you check it, becouse many old amps do not have a integrated clipping protection and in a situation like yours they can kill your speakers.

modern amp in class D like my NAD D 3020 have a special anti clipping technology on board, so they can't damage any speaker, so in this days are IMHO better choice.

So yes, you should check your amp.

TrevC

MaxD said:
malart said:

Do your amp is maybe clipping? Better you check it, becouse many old amps do not have a integrated clipping protection and in a situation like yours they can kill your speakers.

modern amp in class D like my NAD D 3020 have a special anti clipping technology on board, so they can't damage any speaker, so in this days are IMHO better choice.

So yes, you should check your amp.

The amp is uggeredbay and connecting DC to the speaker. Nothing at all to do with clipping.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MaxD said:

NAD amps have had that technology for 30 years, it's not new. But that's not the issue here. Basically the op's amp is damaged.

tazzo

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I think it must be the amp also, sending too much current to the speakers. Can you switch the amp on with the speakers switch (if there is one) in the "off" position.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like DC on the output to me, to check just get a simple voltmeter set it on DC and put it across the speaker output terminals, without the speakers attached, and if it reads something never connect the speakers to it again!! DC is bad for speakers!

malart

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for comments. Put metre across speaker outputs, getting .013 DC volts. Whould this be enough to make them fly out ? This happening all the time the power switch is on, not just initially. Regards.

TRENDING THREADS