Speakers :old v new

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
What would a pair of speakers from 10yrs ago be worth now or which price bracket would they now occupy?

Say a speaker valued at £1000, would they be in the £500 bracket now based purely on performance. New technology and the discovery of newer materials more efficient crossovers - have they raised the bar for speaker tech now. Would a pair of £250 speakers be the equal now compared to the grand mark of yesteryear?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I guess it depends on how highly the speakers are held in regard. My own B&Ws cost £300 10 years ago, and I've seen pairs of 602 S3s go for almost that much on eBay. I don't think there's a simple rule of thumb that dictates a ten year old £500 speaker is equal to a speaker today costing £300. With inflation it'd probably be the other way around.

T

the record spot

I'd use the original Mission 752 as my benchmark. £500 on release, you'll get a pair for about £100-150 now. I'm not the only one who thinks it'll stack up against speakers costing £600-800 today still. Needless to say, it'll manage to hold its own with anything under £200...!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have speakers that cost £700.00 about 10 years ago.

I have newer speakers that currently retail for £1395.00.

I have decided to stick with the older speakers.

Make of that what you will...

SteveR750

FennerMachine said:
I have speakers that cost £700.00 about 10 years ago.

I have newer speakers that currently retail for £1395.00.

I have decided to stick with the older speakers.

Make of that what you will...

You bought the same speakers 10 years later, and they haven't been fully run in yet? :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts