Speakers for Unitilite

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
If you do a search you'll probably find numerous threads suggesting that PMC and Neat are a good match with the Uniti range.

Englishbull

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, for some reason nothing came out on my first post. Ill try again.

Just taking the plunge and looking to purchase a hifi. I like the look of the naim unitilite and went for a listen on Saturday. The guy in the shop had it set up with a pair of KEF R100. These sounded good bit I thought lacked a little base. Next set were the highly rated KEF Ls50. Better speaker, but to get more base you had to have it turned up a little louder.

Next set floor standers monitor audio rx6, these were nice great sound alround. Finally KEF r300. Pretty much on par with the monitors. Dilemar!!!!. In my opinion I thought the r300 were the better of the kefs.

My question and advice is does anyone have any experience with this combo naim/KEF - naim/monitor audio. I know people have talked about pmc and neat.

After my listen the guy in the shop said for the unitilite I should be looking to spend £600-£1200 on speakers, anymore than I wouldn't be getting the best from the speaker. Not sure if he is being biased towards the speakers they sell!!!!

any help on this would be great as pretty new to hifi and want to get the speakers right.

Cheers

Englishbull said:
Hi, for some reason nothing came out on my first post. Ill try again.

Just taking the plunge and looking to purchase a hifi. I like the look of the naim unitilite and went for a listen on Saturday. The guy in the shop had it set up with a pair of KEF R100. These sounded good bit I thought lacked a little base. Next set were the highly rated KEF Ls50. Better speaker, but to get more base you had to have it turned up a little louder.

Next set floor standers monitor audio rx6, these were nice great sound alround. Finally KEF r300. Pretty much on par with the monitors. Dilemar!!!!. In my opinion I thought the r300 were the better of the kefs.

My question and advice is does anyone have any experience with this combo naim/KEF - naim/monitor audio. I know people have talked about pmc and neat.

After my listen the guy in the shop said for the unitilite I should be looking to spend £600-£1200 on speakers, anymore than I wouldn't be getting the best from the speaker. Not sure if he is being biased towards the speakers they sell!!!!

any help on this would be great as pretty new to hifi and want to get the speakers right.

Cheers

I would urge you to take a listen to other speakers, away from Kef and Monitor Audio. I love MA and admire the Kef brand, but it seems retailers, especially the bigger outlets, will adjust stock according to what's in vogue... or they will thrust a make that won't necessarily suit a particular make.

The likes of Rega, PMC, Neat all will should you fantastic results.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thumbs up for speakers from Neat and PMC. However If you want something a bit different, try the Elac BS 243. It has a ribbon tweeter that offers a nice variation.

Englishbull

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Cheers for the replies and suggestions, I'm just trying to track down a dealer that does the Rega's, seems a little tough to get somone that has them.

Question on the B&W's - Do they produce a good Base sound being Book shelfs??

I'll let you know the outcome or the next stage.

cheers

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The b&w's produce prostigeous bass for standmounters, infact I think whf once gave them the 'best for bass' title in a top speakers review. You might struggle to find some though...

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
calpark46 said:
In the review of the Unitilite on this site WHFSV suggest Rega RS3s.

Did we?

Andrew

The reference to the RS3s weren't in the text of the actual review, but were in a "Consider With" box at the side. I now realise it was in the magazine, not on the site.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Yup, in your December edition, page 16. The mag says 'Use it with' Rega RS3

Ah right – I was reading the review on the site, and couldn't see the reference. Wasn't aware it had been added to the print version, but then I have been away for a couple of weeks 8)

Personally, I'd be thinking Neat Motive range or PMC DB1i or GB1i as good matches for the UL, along with the Tannoys mentioned in the review.

Andrew Everard said:
plastic penguin said:
Yup, in your December edition, page 16. The mag says 'Use it with' Rega RS3

Ah right – I was reading the review on the site, and couldn't see the reference. Wasn't aware it had been added to the print version, but then I have been away for a couple of weeks 8)

Personally, I'd be thinking Neat Motive range or PMC DB1i or GB1i as good matches for the UL, along with the Tannoys mentioned in the review.

Lame excuse, Mr. Everard. ;)

I would certainly say PMC, although Neats not had personal experience. Then again, is it wise to go against popular consent?

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I use our UnitiLite with both the PMC 21's and 23's which both sound fantastic but also the Rega RS3's and RS5's sound brilliant.

Both PMC and Rega are great choices but they both offer very different presentations so I would definately hunt out your nearest dealer for a demo.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Paul@HiFi-Lounge said:
I use our UnitiLite with both the PMC 21's and 23's which both sound fantastic but also the Rega RS3's and RS5's sound brilliant.

Both PMC and Rega are great choices but they both offer very different presentations so I would definately hunt out your nearest dealer for a demo.

Paul you have had a few weeks to listen to the unitilite...how does it stack up against a Rega Brio r/Apollor r/DAC purely on SQ -

Englishbull

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have contacted 2 dealers for a demo on the Rega RS3, but they have not come back to me. Same problem with the PMC's. I am based in Essex. Does nobody want my ££££ I thought they would be keen for the business.

Question on the PMC'S , would I get the best from the 21/ 23 with the unitilite??

cheers

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
did you actually speak to the dealers? or was it by email? sometimes email isnt the best form of contact!

I spoke to DougBrady about demoing a unitilite, they were bending over backwards to book a demo!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Make sure you don't take his... ahem... lead.

Nope, lost me completely. But back on topic, have reviewed the UL for a future issue of Gramophone, and had good results with both the Neat Iotas and the GB1s. It even drove the OB1s and Wharfedale Dentons rather well...

FWIW I think the UL is an enormous bargain when compared to the NU2: if I was in the market for an all-in-one streaming system right now, I know which one I'd buy.

Novaportian

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I used to have an original Uniti with some Neat Petite speakers. It was a great combo, when I was fortunate to be able to afford upgrades I stuck with Naim/Neat. Try to demo as much as you can because it all comes down to what you like best. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts