Speakers for small room... help needed!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks

I have just purchased a pair of Quad 12l2's, the room i'm using them in is 2m x 2.5m. I should have purchased some smaller speakers as the low end on these is far too much for the size of the room (and the fact that the wall behind the speakers is plasterboard.)

Could anyone recommend some small speakers that would be suitable for a room of that size and to use with my Cyrus 8vs2/CD 8 se?

Thanks for your help.

Garry 

A

Anonymous

Either:

Acoustic Energy (AE) AE1 Classic
Spendor SA1
PMC DB1i

They will work much better in your (I hope you don't mind me saying this) small room; less emphasis of the deep bass and hopefully less muddle in the upper bass should result in a much more coherent sound. Any questions, do not hesitate to ask!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, have seen a pair of the AE's for £500 online so I might try give those a demo, £500 is about my budget right now.

A

Anonymous

Do you think pluging up the ports on the rear of my 12l2's could help with over emphasis on the lower frequencies?

A

Anonymous

gary_london:Do you think pluging up the ports on the rear of my 12l2's could help with over emphasis on the lower frequencies?

Certainly. Also try putting a big rug on the wall behind the speakers and behind where you are listening and some soft objects in the corners of the room. Also if you have tone controls, do not hesitate to use them, turn the bass down a bit and give the treble a bit of a boost if required.

T

the record spot

Quadral Pico
AVI Neutron IV or V
Opera Mini
Leema Xero

A

Anonymous

I'm with The Record Spot on this one. With that budget, get some AVI Neutrons, ideally the V, and some stands. The lesser bass might be a shock at first but it'll be better in the long run. You can always add a sub, allowing you to tune the bass to how you want it.

Alternatively, what about some Quad 11L and some stands? They're going for less than 300 quid at the moment and are pretty good. Decent, sand-filled stands will help the case too.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Not as easy as that as you probably know. Whilst small speakers have generally less bass some are designed for free space sitting, sacrificing sensitivity for increased bass. Then there are floorstanders that have well damped, tight bass such as the ones from Rega and certain Kef's. I had almost the same system as you once with ProAc Studios and it complemented the 8vs2 which has a slightly loose bass well. Rega R3's work good too. They are front ported and can be placed relatively close to wall without too much degradation. Adding a PSX will help with the bass too to an extend.

I am sure many of the recommendations will work fine but perhaps try before you buy rather than assuming that just because something is small it will work in your room.

A

Anonymous

I've got some Partington Drednought stands, I didn't fill the colums with sand mainly because the bungs for the centre column seem to fit too loosely. Do you think this willhelp the bass if I fill them with sand?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts