Speakers for Quad 99 cdp-2/909 system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I found a good deal on Quad 99 cdp-2 / 909 power kit in a local shop. Now, I need a good set of speakers to try with this kit. Speakers I can try locally (and also within my price range) are Quad 12L (not 12L2), Epos M12i, B&W 685, Monitor Audio RS1, RS6, and Rega R3. My room size is rather small (3.6m X 3.6m). I listen to mostly classical music. What would be the best fit to the Quad kit?

Alternatively, I can try Musical Fidelity XT-100/X-ray v8 CD from another shop. How would this kit with some of the above speakers be compared to the Quad kit? I can audition both kits (separately) but not with all speaker combinations. I would appreciate any opinions on those systems.

A

Anonymous

What a decision! I love both of those amps/cdps.

The Quad 909 will give you a lot more power and punch with any of the mentioned speakers. It combines the benefit of the glorious midrange a class A amp can provide but with the power range of a more typical AB (current dumping technology). It's a product you'll keep running for decades. My Quad 405 is still in perfect running order and was built in 1976. Suits all types of music very well.

The MF is also very good with superb midrange but not as much overall dynamic range. It's a more polite sounding amp and probably won't scratch the rock itch when asked.

I also listen to classical music and I would head straight for the Quad combo with speakers to match the room size and placement. From those my audition list would comprise the Rega R3 at the top, B&W685 next and then the Quad12L.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
We are both in a similar situation right down to the room size and musical taste! I'm at the moment trying to decide between the Rega and Naim electronics, and have already decided on the Rega R3 speakers.

Let me tell you, the Quad setup you are considering is actually one of the best systems that I've heard. It's so rich and powerful, you will never get tired of listening to it.

When I had auditioned, the 685's were a great match for the setup. They complemented each other very well producing a deep, smooth sound with rounded punch. On the other hand, to my surprise, the 12L's completely killed the system. They were definitely not for classical music. I wouldn't recommend the R3's as they have a completely different approach to music.

Epos speakers sounded lively and dynamic through it, but I have doubts about the current "i" series. The Monitor Audio speakers will likely boom in your room due to port configurations.

I've heard the Musical Fidelity setup and was impressed with it, but preferred the Quad's weight and substance.

Hope this helps.ÿ

A

Anonymous

igglebert, batonwielder,

Thanks for your suggestions.

ÿ

Last weekend, I borrowed Quad 99 cdp-2/909 power/12L speakers and MF XT-100/X-ray CD/ B&W 685 for home trial (side-to-side comparison). Shortly speaking, both systems were great. My subjective opinion on MF was that its sound was more restrained (relatively) or somewhat subdue, not necessarily in a bad sense, compared to Quad kit. However, MF seems to have smoother high frequencies - which is actually quite important to me. On the other hand, Quad kit sounded more lively or colorful (?) to me. It also sounded more detailed, which can sometimes felt as harshness. Anyway, it was a very difficult decision, but Quad kit won eventually by a small margin. I could have taken either kit quite happily, but I got a better deal on Quad kit and I thought relative harshness or roughness in high frequency (again relative term) could probably be remedied by adding a separate pre-amp later.

As for speakers, it was another tough decision, but I slightly preferred quad12L to B&W 685 with Quad kit, but I'm not 100% convinced yet. I'll try Epos M12i with Quad kit this week and also try Quad QC-24 tube preamp. Unfortunately, they don't have 99 pre at the moment in the shop. Does anyone has experience with QC-24?ÿÿ

By the way, I noticed a strange thing with quad 909. I always hear some kind of popping noise from the speakers a few seconds (about 5 to 10) after I turn off 909 power amp. It's not very loud, but sounds as if some kind of electric discharge happens through speaker cables. Is this normal to Quad 909 or should I be worried about this? Can any 909 owner comment on this?

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks for feeding back your findings. I have a Quad 405 that I use sometimes and also find that it can get a little bit harsh sometimes. I think this could be due to the inherent nature of class A designs but I'm not sure. Similarly to you I've been thinking about getting a tube preamp to go with it once I've upgraded it to a special 405.

My 405 also pops on each speaker when I turn it off. My understanding is that all amps do this to an extent but many use solenoid protection to switch out the speakers first. The Quads use just fuses. In my case it's nothing to worry about. Should a 909 do it? I'd check with Quad 0845 458 1122.

A

Anonymous

Never noticed the popping before, just tried it out on my 909, turned it off. Then 10 seconds later there was a hmphh noise, fairly faint. Must be a characteristic of the 909. Nothing to worry about I would guess.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, that kind of faint noise is normal on many systems. Rega amplifiers do that as well.

I'm not surprised that you aren't completely sold on the Quad system. It's the speakers. Find the ones that fits, and you won't think twice about it.

From what you've told us. I'm having seconds thoughts about the Epos recommendation. I think you might like Spendor speakers better. They are far from harsh and sounds very liquid. Might be worth a try.

A

Anonymous

emotion-1.gif
the Spendor SA1s having particular talents that will suit the Quad...

A

Anonymous

Consider the Spendor A5 speakers as they work a treat with Quad.

A

Anonymous

Rev, have you the new A5s or 6s? What are they like? Dangerously tempting...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts