Speakers for Onkyo TXSR606

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was wondering if anybody could help me figure the right speakers for the Onkyo 606? With a supposed output of 7x140watts per channel, which I know is more theory than reality, what should I be looking for in the speakers?

A retailer suggested that I go for the B&W MT20... He even said I could hook them up to the TXSR706!

I'm not sure what to think, but I don't want to risk damaging whatever I do end up getting.

Any clues or tips would be greatly appreciated. Even back of the envelope math will be considered!

Thaks every one.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about the speakers power ratings, more their sound. The MT20 package will work fine with the 606. Okay, their power rating is only 100W at 8 ohms but that just means you shouldn't be trying to run the Onkyo at full volume with those speakers! To avoid damage, you just need to be listen out for any distortion as you increase the volume - if it starts to distort, that's the point you should be turning the volume down until it no longer distorts and go no higher than this. In an average living room though, I'd be amazed if you reach that point without deafening volumes!
Much more important would be to demo the speakers and see if you like them. At their price point, I'd also be trying out the KEF 3005SE package.

A

Anonymous

these little fellows are great value to and should easily take everthing the onk can throw at them! like the proff says you shouldnt worry too much about speakers power handling!
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4281

A

Anonymous

I've partnered my 606 with Mordaunt Short 908i (fronts), 914(surround), 905i (center) with MJ Acoustics Pro 50 MKII subwoofer using Neutrik cable. Superb!!!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about running the MT-20 with your Onkyo.

I'm running the MT-30 (which as you probably know, uses the exact same M1 satellite speakers as the MT-20) with my 875. The 875 has more output than the 606, but I've found no problems.

As others have said, you'd be running at mega-mungous volume levels to cause any damage (And it's easier to kill speakers using an under-powered amp at full whack, than using a more powerful amp running within its tolerances)

A

Anonymous

I have hooked up my 606 with KEF IQ5SEs for the front and a IQ60c for center.

I am very happy with their performance, both for music and movies and currently saving up for a couple of IQ1s for the rear.

Haven't had any power related issues whatsoever, no distorsion or any lack of punch.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I have my onkyo 606 hooked up to a set of Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1.

The small speakers (front and rear) are rated at max 75w per speaker, and I've had no problems at all.

In fact, now I have used the set up mic (after 6 months ownership), I am completely astounded at the sound quality and performance!!!

No wonder 'What hifi?' rate them so highly!!!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info everyone.

Now that I have that out of the way... I just have to work on the budget and the wife. I also need to test a few more sets of speakers...

That is always a pleasure!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts