Speakers for Naim Uniti

elevensheep

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Bought a Naim Uniti recently, and after a bit of research, I have narrowed down speaker choices to the following:

- PMC Db1i

- Proac D1

- Neat Petite SX

Has anyone tried paring the Uniti with the above speakers? personally i find it very difficult to separate these 3 speakers. cheers.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, have tried it with both the Neats and the PMCs: I liked both, and reckon the PMCs give a bit more weight, while the Neats are a bit airier. I think John Duncan has also tried both, or it may be that he liked the sound of the Neats but the size didn't quite work for him, and I think he's now considering the PMCs.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you like all three of those speakers, audition them for a longer period of time. Try more music - one will jump out at you eventually.

Naim works well with ProAc, Neat and PMC, so you won't go wrong with any of them.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Surely the PMC's are quite a bit cheaper. Although I was'nt impressed with them when I heard them. I actually prefered the Neat Motive 3, which is cheaper again. Although I didn't get to hear the Petit's

A

Anonymous

+1 for the pmc's, i have just demo'd the naim xs with my db1i's and had to be prized out of the dem room, stunning bit of kit.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I use the Uniti with 3 speakers in rotation with 2 other systems - a ProAc 1SC (the D1's predecessor), the PMC DB1i and the Harbeth P3ESR.

All three work very well with the Uniti - the PMCs probably have the best bass and weight, the ProAcs sound the sweetest (even though they're 15 years old I'm guessing they'll sound close to the D1s) and the Harbeth offers the best tonal balance.

The ProAcs and PMCs have higher sensitivity than the Harbeths (85-86 versus 83.5 dB/W/m) but this isn't a problem unless you listen at very high volumes. Before buying anything, I'd strongly recommend auditioning the Harbeths.

Assuming of course you're not after floorstanders, I hope this helps.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just like to add something about breaking-in - the PMCs and Harbeths took about 2 weeks each to break-in (the PMC manual states 15 hours of listening but my experience is that it takes closer to 30 hours). If memory serves right, the ProAcs took longer - possibly a month.

Incidentally, I use 3.5m lengths of Chord Epic cable instead of Naim's NACA5 with the Uniti.

Cheers

elevensheep:
Bought a Naim Uniti recently, and after a bit of research, I have narrowed down speaker choices to the following:

- PMC Db1i

- Proac D1

- Neat Petite SX

Has anyone tried paring the Uniti with the above speakers? personally i find it very difficult to separate these 3 speakers. cheers.

Hi elevensheep

Dynaudio's DM2/6, DM 2/7, Excite X12 and ATC's SCM11's are also worth considering with the Uniti.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

elevensheep

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:elevensheep:

- PMC Db1i

- Proac D1

- Neat Petite SX

Hi elevensheep

Dynaudio's DM2/6, DM 2/7, Excite X12 and ATC's SCM11's are also worth considering with the Uniti.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

how about the dynaudio contour s1.4? i quite like the sound of these, but some said that it could be too much for the uniti?

elevensheep

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:If you like all three of those speakers, audition them for a longer period of time. Try more music - one will jump out at you eventually.Naim works well with ProAc, Neat and PMC, so you won't go wrong with any of them.

I tried Neat Petite SX and the Proac D1 side by side, the Proac sounded better, but also much more expensive (about 20% more where I am). Unfortunately couldn't try to Db1i at the same time.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Both excellent speakers. ProAc have been a popular choice this year, and with the speakers they've replaced so fat, they've only strengthened their position. The new Studio 115's are excellent, and we're looking forward to hearing the rest of the Studio range as it emerges. The Response 1sc were one of my favourite speakers, and the D1's continue that. A cracking little speaker.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:

Hi elevensheep

The Uniti should be fine with the S 1.4's although to be fair i don't feel the Uniti will get the best out of them. If possible have a listen as you might like the combination anyway.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Another vote for NAIM and Dynaudio...

I have had mine for eight years on the end of 2 Naim systems and they gel very well, although they do need a sturdy amp capable of robust current delivery.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Both excellent speakers. ProAc have been a popular choice this year, and with the speakers they've replaced so fat, they've only strengthened their position. The new Studio 115's are excellent, and we're looking forward to hearing the rest of the Studio range as it emerges. The Response 1sc were one of my favourite speakers, and the D1's continue that. A cracking little speaker.

Have you managed to compare the 115 with the 110 ? any thoughts

A

Anonymous

the dynaudio's here on sale:

http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/dynaudio/dynaudio-contour-s14-834127-395878-509086.php

although don't know if this is good value.

A

Anonymous

The response range is very good if you wanted to go for proac.

A

Anonymous

I have decided on a NAIM UNITI and a Rega RG1 Turntable but need some help on some suitable speakers budget upto £800. I enjoy a clear sound and listen to alternative and accoustic music.

I would prefer Bookshelf but would consider floorstanders.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gareth

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
gareth m:
I have decided on a NAIM UNITI and a Rega RG1 Turntable but need some help on some suitable speakers budget upto £800. I enjoy a clear sound and listen to alternative and accoustic music.

I would prefer Bookshelf but would consider floorstanders.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gareth

You've not mentioned it but the Uniti does not have a phono input so unless that TT has an inbuilt phono then you will need to look at one of those too.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You could also try Mordaunt Short's MS20i Pearls. I and lately chebby have found them to be a paricularely good speaker for use with Naim electronics. No lookers though in reality no worse than some others and can be had for as little as 30 quid so no great loss if you happen not to like them. Look for a mint pair if you do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts