Speakers for NAD c315BEE - Tannoy DC4 vs B&W 686

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello -

We just bought a NAD c315BEE amp to run a NAD T517 DVD player for watching DVDs and listening to CDs in stereo, as we have decided surround sound is not what we want. I am lookng for a compromise between small size, price, quality and ability to play movies and music. I currently am listening to a lot of classical piano and string q's but music range is pretty wide and eclectic in all.

The speakers we have are no good really, and looking at alternatives we seem to have settled on either the TANNOY DC4 (not the signature ones, just the standard ones) or the B&W 686.

Can't find anywhere in London area where I can listen to both before we buy, but am leaning towards the TANNOYS, though still v tempted by the B&Ws, which I understand sound great.

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice about whether one or the other of these are better, and also if either of these speakers will go well with the amp that we have.

We will not want to be listening to anything at very high volumes, because for the moment we live in a very badly sound-proofed flat, which is a pain, so would also be interested to know if either of these would sound good at lowish volumes.

The room is fairly large (4x5m) with wooden floors if that makes much difference. Also, I will not be able to place these in ideal positions sadly. Also lookjng for fairly small speakers, for reasons of differences of priority within our realtionship.....

We are also looking at the B&W CM1, but I think they are probably out of price range, too much for where we live right now, and would probably merit a better amp.

Sorry to be so ignorant about this, but its been a while since I had a decent HIFI and I am somewhat out of the loop as to what is good at the moment.

Some thoughts from any of you would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Robert

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
at that price range robert, you want to be looking at monitor audio br2 which would be better than the 686's. and a tad cheaper. they are also easy to place. ive never heard the tannoys. the b & w 685's which price wise are between the 686's and the more expensive cm range, would most likely fit the bill perfectly for what you want - they are around £379 i think.

imo you could get more musical speakers such as the mordaunt short mezzo 2's, but im not convinced they would have the clout for your big dramatic movie sound effects.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Paul - it's great to get some advice so fast - I think the 685s and the BR2s are a little large though, as part of the compromise with my girlfriend is something as small as possible....I'll have a look at the ones you mention though, and see if I can get approval on them if I think they look good. As far as big movie effects go, we are not all that worried about that, as long as we can hear the dialogue clearly. Musicality is good.

Do you know if the 686s are any good though [you only mention the 685s] ?

Still would be very grateful for some feedback on the DC4s and also whether any of these will sound good at low volumes with the 315.

Robert

A

Anonymous

I should probably also have mentioned that due to an open-box return on some speakers that i am just not happy with, (Linn Classik Unks) I am limited really to what I can buy through Superfi.... and they don't stock the BR2s, sadly, as they actually look pretty good.

Robert

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
of the ones that have had a mention, imo the 686's would be bottom of the list. they also have the least favourable review from this mag - you can read it online. you also mention they will not be positioned ideally. if that means close to a rear wall forget anything rear ported - which the 686's are. if your after musicallity and cosmetics look no further than the mezzo 2's from mordaunt short. they're detail and rythmm, brightness should bode well with the nad amp. they look great, and can be had at a good price - tho they are not listed at superfi by the look of things!

i am 90% that i will buy them in the coming weeks

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
i have just had a nosey on superfi. the new wharfedales 10.1 could be right up your street. they have just been given rave reviews inc this mag (5 stars ) i havent heard them but have formerly owned the 8 and 9 series which would be fine for what you want, and these are apperntly superior. they are only £200 - i doubt you could do better at that price.

A

Anonymous

I would look for a good second hand set of quad 11L's (the 1st version) ... crop up often on ebay

matthewpiano

dim_span:I would look for a good second hand set of quad 11L's (the 1st version) ... crop up often on ebay

Not a patch on the Mezzo 2s. I like the Quads and have a pair here but my Mezzo 2s are at a different level altogether IMO.

A

Anonymous

Excellent to hear the recommendations, thanks guys. The MS will never pass the "they look okay" test from the other partner in this purchase I don't think, but will certainly try and deceive her......

But I think what I am getting here is that no-one knows much about the DC4s ? They are perfect in size and looks and if they would sound good that would be a real pleasure.....

RDP

matthewpiano

rdpx:
Excellent to hear the recommendations, thanks guys. The MS will never pass the "they look okay" test from the other partner in this purchase I don't think, but will certainly try and deceive her......

But I think what I am getting here is that no-one knows much about the DC4s ? They are perfect in size and looks and if they would sound good that would be a real pleasure.....

RDP

If the MS Mezzo 2s don't pass the looks test (thought I'd say they were about the best looking speakers in this price range), what about auditioning the new £250 Aviano 1s? Should give you a good helping of the Mezzo's performance but with more conventional looks.

I think you would have to audition the DC4s. Tannoys can be superb but I had a pair of Sensys 1s (the predecessors to the DC4s) and found them thin and overly bright in the end. Proceed with care and lots of listening before purchase.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano: I think you would have to audition the DC4s. Tannoys can be superb but I had a pair of Sensys 1s (the predecessors to the DC4s) and found them thin and overly bright in the end. Proceed with care and lots of listening before purchase.

Thanks Matthew - this is probably what I need to do. Thanks for the warning about the Sensys... I will try and go do some listening next week - I emailed Tannoy to ask if they could tell me where I might be able to do that in London.

The Mezzos are I think just a little too large and would not pass my gfs looks test I am afraid. Maybe I am asking too much out of a small speaker ? To be pretty and sound as good as possible ? Oh well one can only dream I suppose.

RDP

TRENDING THREADS