Speakers for medium room - ANY SIZE NOW. Want good quality bass and soundstage. Under £1200.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
Been serching far and wide for a new pair of good looking floorstanders that are relativaly unobtrusive and sound great. Auditioned Totem Hawks and hated them and didnt like the PMC GB1+. I used to have neat motive 2s and cant seem to find anything that is considerably better than it (both in looks and sound). I thought i had the right speakers when i brought some KEF XQ30s BUT having got them home and had extended listening - dont like them either - bright and bass is a bit too muddy so these are going back to the dealer this week. So now i need a new shortlist. Initially i wanted a compact floorstander but now i am willing to comprimise. My absolute budget is 1500 and i will consider used deals. My final hope for style and substance is a deal on XT4s (B&W). Any one with any exoperience of these? I know what hi fi like em, Bass and soundstage important. So yeah just belt some speaker names at me that you feel fit my criteria and it will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Did you try the Kudos C2? I suggested this, you might find some ex demo for your budget, fast sound, clear crisp seas treble unit, tight punchy bass, it's quality bass, it's not the deepest, don't don't get that mixed up with quality bass.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I know the temptation is to look for the most expensive ones within budget. Whilst I can't comment on the XT4's I have heard most totems and a fair few PMC models at some stage or another. Whilst some are better than others within their respective ranges neither has a speaker I would buy within what I can afford.

Which brings me to Rega. If you can go and listen to the 3's and perhaps the R5 depending on how big your room is. IMO they are giant killers and will slaughter a fair few very expensive rivals. Deep, full and tight bass, wonderfully open and great dynamics with the right amplifier/s. I've heard them at the end of multi thousand pound systems from Naim/cyrus and they just get better the more you throw at them but are equally adept in the context of a more basic system . Just leave any preconceptions you may have regarding price at home.

A

Anonymous

XT4s aren't good for their huge price tag.

I've tried to listen to the XQ30 but they're far too bright.

Try a Spendor?

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I will see if i can get a demo on the rega R5.

Other suggestions i was thinking about B&W 805S and i am greatly interested in the wilson b. square 1s. Can any one with experience of the two give an insight into which is the more forward. I desperatly want to avoid very forward sounding speakers (my amp and cd player are naturally forward too) as the last few speakers ive had at home have been unbearably bright and have had to go back. I think i prefer the warmer sound to the really bright and detailed one.

On a different subject the new mission 794s are within my budget. They look class. Anyone with any experience of these or any of the new 79 series?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts