Speakers for Marantz PM11 - Last Mile

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was a HT guy but sold everything and started from scratch with HiFi. As in my Signature, I have finished my setup almost but the last mile is still pending. I run my Music through Mac Mini Optical to MF M1 DAC and then RCA to PM11. I have been auditioning very many speakers but my audtioning experience has not been very effective.

I come from B&W speakers in HT (CM7) and I thought CM9 will be good for me. But when I did some auditions that is when I had some major challenges. I went by general top recommended speakers from various places. My short list had B&W CM9, KEF IQ 90, KEF Q700, Dynaudio Excite X32, PMC GB1i. But all the speakers sounded either too small or less wide sound stage and some were even muffled.

The emerging champion in these auditions was surprisingly Dynaudio Excite X36 which is a 2 star rated product but no matter how many different ways we tried, X36 always sounded the best in details and involving (+ good base too!) and no coarseness at all.

This is where I thought it is good to pause and asking other experienced listeners for opinions. Please let me know what speakers would you match in my system. Budget could be around 1500 Pounds for both speakers but I am more than fine with used market.

PS: The Marantz is giving too much bass even with out PV1 in place. I need to tune the sub and integrate it well

PPS: Coming from CM7, I thought I will be floored by CM9 performance. I heard them at two places. They sounded too narrow soundstage and very disappointing. X32 being a 5 star winner was too weak in comparison of X36 (details, finess, lack of harshness). I am only sharing this view so that it might be a little more clear about what kind of sound I generally like. Also, I am very confused with ratings I read and my own observation in audition rooms.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I love my B&W 805s with my Marantz Setup they don't have the lowest Bass but sound-stage and detail are great, they might sound even better hooked up to a PM11, if you can find any around, also really liked the Spendor A6 when I heard them.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I heard great reviews about 805D but am very eager to see WHF's verdict is.

805S is on my short list too but I think I might miss the big sound stage of a floor stander. Since you have it already, I would audition them to see how it fits my set up.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
WishTree:

805S is on my short list too but I think I might miss the big sound stage of a floor stander. Since you have it already, I would audition them to see how it fits my set up.

Only area I think you'd find the 805 lacking would be bass, but you've got that covered already.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
WishTree:

No loss of stage with the 805, I went from 603 s2's to them and in every respect they are superior and by a long way, the bass is not as low but what there is is so much tighter and rhythmic have a listen in a good room and see what you think.

IMHO you might want to run your stereo pair without a sub, I think even the PV would be a bit too slow in comparison to something like the 805, I used to run the 603's with an ASW675 so don't mind a bit of bass the 675 stood out like a sore thumb when the 805s went in it was just not controlled enough even when carefully set up for stereo use, so it is turned off now I don't miss the low bass at all, the detail and stage more than make up for it.

With respect to your PPS, I would be careful the listening room will make a lot of difference to the review, a Bad room will make the best kit sound awful, I recently attended a Ken Ishiwata demo day and did not like the PM11 demo but I am sure that was the room, really liked the Pearl lite demo in a different room.

A

Anonymous

I would recommend to have a listen to some PMC loudspeakers; I feel that PMC loudspeakers will sound very nice with the Marantz PM-11s1, which is a very good integrated amplifier, by the way.

Dan.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I use a pair of obsolete MS speakers, not much interest to you with the budget you have, but they have a lovely open presentation and project both beyond, above and behind the cabinets yet are tightly focused. Not to much bass but what is there is clear and correct and I use a sub to add the last little bit of scale and foundation to music. I only mention that because I feel MS has lost much of these qualities with their affordable speakers of the last few years. However, they do have a top line which may appeal and is perhaps worth an audition next to the suggested B&W 8 series.

http://www.mordauntshort.com/summary.php?PID=84

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Chris. 805 recommendations make me feel good as deep in me I am still a B&W fan (Ofcourse not at the cost of sound) and CM9s were a big disappointment with competition.

Paul - It is really assuring as it looks like you did a similar migration. You are very right about the room. I liked the Pearl Lite (SACD + PM) combo alot too. It has got a distinct smoothness.

Dan - PMC GB1i is what I tried. Any other recommendations

M&S was never on my list but if they have a performance range then I will try them too. Need to check the availability.

It looks like Boohshelf speakers are preferred. Is there any special reason? I will be more happy with Bookshelf speakers too as I am going minimal mode right now.

I am also considering Dynaudio Focus 140 and Sonus Faber Minima Vintage. Any one had a listening of these to sets of speakers against B&W 805? It would be great help if there are some views on these speakers too.

My friends are complaining big time as I hid the PM11 behind the doors of a crafted TV cabinet. I will post some pics once the speakers done too.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
WishTree:
My friends are complaining big time as I hid the PM11 behind the doors of a crafted TV cabinet. I will post some pics once the speakers done too.

That is Criminal, I think it be confiscated and given to someone who will have it on show, me for example
emotion-4.gif

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
pwiles1968:
That is Criminal, I think it be confiscated and given to someone who will have it on show, me for example
emotion-4.gif

LOL ! You are right but may be once I post the pics after speakers upgrade too, then may be my actions of hiding the amp can be pardoned!

A

Anonymous

What about ProAc Studio 140? I think that they have a Mk2 version now.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

I have the pm-11 S1 with the S2 sacd player/GyrodecSE and use Sonus Faber Cremonas to great effect, the amp also drove B&W 802Ds as well as a gamut power amp mark III - much to my surprise!- the marantzs' are that good. I'm not biased, 3 experienced pairs of ears were used for the auditions. I suggest buying a a more expensive pair of speakers second hand- I recommend the SFs, it will raise your setup to a new level. PS my friend with the gamut/802Ds also used a Zardoz to stream music via a mac and the PM-11 S1 sounded beautiful in that setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts