Speakers for Exposure 2010S AMP / CDP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Just looking for a good speaker match for my Exposure 2010S amp & CDP. Currently, I am running B&W 685s but I feel that I am lacking the base, which I thought was suprising as I am running the same speakers in a HT set up & the B&W685s perform really well. Perhaps, it is a case of synergy??

What I am looking for is monitor speakers but those which will also perform well in a HT set up. Any suggestions?

Cheers

La Vaina said:
Hi All,

Just looking for a good speaker match for my Exposure 2010S amp & CDP. Currently, I am running B&W 685s but I feel that I am lacking the base, which I thought was suprising as I am running the same speakers in a HT set up & the B&W685s perform really well. Perhaps, it is a case of synergy??

What I am looking for is monitor speakers but those which will also perform well in a HT set up. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Hi La Vaina

Just need to get a clearer picture of your system, room and any other possible requirements -

How would you describe the overall sound of your system?

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system listen to?

Are the 685's stand, shelf or wall mounted?

Is your preference for bookshelf, floorstanding speakers or either?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

The size of the room?

Ceiling height?

Room positioning of the spreakers (in relation to walls, corners, anything in between the speakers such as a cabinet, chimney breast etc.)?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Room floor (marble, wooden, concrete, carpeted etc.)?

The interconnects and speaker cables you'll be using are?

Are you using the 2010S amplifier to power the main 685 speakers in the AV system? If so, what other speakers are you using in the AV system? The AV amplifier/processor is?

Your overall budget?

Apart from bass what are there any other improvements which you are looking for from a new pair of speakers and for the system as a whole to achieve?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If you're also running the 685s as part of your home cinema, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that you're also using a sub. I found adding my home cinema's sub to my stereo gave me the bass I was after.

La Vaina said:
Hi All,

Cheers

I've only heard Exposure with MAs - pretty impressive.

A

Anonymous

Hi All,
thx for the advice. Firstly, I am after a pair of monitor speakers not floorstands (no room). When I tested the exposure it was with a pair of MA RX1, which sounded great - a huge jump in clarity & base from listening to cd through my pinoneer cheapy dvd. Currently, I have to set ups running HT & 2ch stereo, both use the B&Ws and FR & FL via a Bersford TC7220 switcher. The rears & centres are B&W M1s & respective sub, don't remember the model. So, while you get great base in movies etec with the B&Ws, with & without the sub on, with music, at paired with the Exposure, it just sound just too bright. The room isn't big at all & the listening area about 9m2. The speakers are in the correct / best postion they can be in, at ear height but not on stands - one is on a bookshelf in an open cabinet & the other on a weighted plant stand, same height exactly FR & FL. Ceiling about 4m high I guess, normal height, wooden floor with a heavy rug in the listen area. Connections are Altas Equator 3 OFC cables & Atlas anologue connects.What else can I say? Difficult to change the house set up. As I said I am looking a pair of monitors that is going to make the Exposure show the nuances it can do, adding more base but without losing the clarity or the mid range. The B&Ws sound just to bright.
Listening tastes - rock during the day - Led Z, Creeedance, U2, female voices - Adele, Celine, Eileen Jewel, Classic & soft stuff etc to relax in the evening.

Also if I were to add the sub to my stereo amp where would it plug into? Maybe that's a stupid question but we all started somewhere!!

Cheers

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
La Vaina said:
Also if I were to add the sub to my stereo amp where would it plug into? Maybe that's a stupid question but we all started somewhere!!

Without knowing your model of sub it's hard to say, but my B&W sub has high level/speaker level inputs and came with a proprietry cable to hook the sub up to the speaker terminals on my Arcam 2 channel amp. This is in addition to the sub being connected in the conventional way to my Onkyo receiver. I'm just very careful not to run either of the systems at the same time (I think my sub would default to the A/V input, but I'm not gonna try it!)

A

Anonymous

Sorry for the illegible thread – no idea what happened. This is what I said:

Thx for the advice. Firstly, I am after a pair of monitor speakers not floorstands (no room). When I tested the exposure it was with a pair of MA RX1, which sounded great - a huge jump in clarity & base from listening to cd through my pinoneer cheapy dvd. Currently, I have to set ups running HT & 2ch stereo, both use the B&Ws and FR & FL via a Bersford TC7220 switcher. The rears & centres are B&W M1s & respective sub, don't remember the model. So, while you get great base in movies etec with the B&Ws, with & without the sub on, with music, at paired with the Exposure, it just sound just too bright. The room isn't big at all & the listening area about 9m2. The speakers are in the correct / best postion they can be in, at ear height but not on stands - one is on a bookshelf in an open cabinet & the other on a weighted plant stand, same height exactly FR & FL. Ceiling about 4m high I guess, normal height, wooden floor with a heavy rug in the listen area. Connections are Altas Equator 3 OFC cables & Atlas anologue connects.

What else can I say? Difficult to change the house set up. As I said I am looking a pair of monitors that is going to make the Exposure show the nuances it can do, adding more base but without losing the clarity or the mid range. The B&Ws sound just to bright.

Listening tastes - rock during the day - Led Z, Creeedance, U2, female voices - Adele, Celine, Eileen Jewel, Classic & soft stuff etc to relax in the evening.

A

Anonymous

Hi Big Chris,

The sub is the B&W AS1. I could run an additional cable from the Exposure to the sub, if knew where to plug it in in the back of the stereo amp. Any ideas? What input should i be looking for?

La Vaina said:

Thx for the advice. Firstly, I am after a pair of monitor speakers not floorstands (no room). When I tested the exposure it was with a pair of MA RX1, which sounded great - a huge jump in clarity & base from listening to cd through my pinoneer cheapy dvd. Currently, I have to set ups running HT & 2ch stereo, both use the B&Ws and FR & FL via a Bersford TC7220 switcher. The rears & centres are B&W M1s & respective sub, don't remember the model. So, while you get great base in movies etec with the B&Ws, with & without the sub on, with music, at paired with the Exposure, it just sound just too bright. The room isn't big at all & the listening area about 9m2. The speakers are in the correct / best postion they can be in, at ear height but not on stands - one is on a bookshelf in an open cabinet & the other on a weighted plant stand, same height exactly FR & FL. Ceiling about 4m high I guess, normal height, wooden floor with a heavy rug in the listen area. Connections are Altas Equator 3 OFC cables & Atlas anologue connects.

What else can I say? Difficult to change the house set up. As I said I am looking a pair of monitors that is going to make the Exposure show the nuances it can do, adding more base but without losing the clarity or the mid range. The B&Ws sound just to bright.

I'd be looking in the region of Focal 714V, or 706V for standmouted monitors. Otherwise, MA RX1 or 2 should fit the bill nicely.

La Vaina said:

Hi La Vaina

Firstly the Exposure 2010S combintaion you have is excellent :) I have used these extensively over the last five years and i've also found that speakers such as the Silver RX1's to be an excellent match with them. Try and also have a listen to Dynaudio's DM 2/6 and DM 2/7's speakers as these also work well with the 2010S combination.

Btw, take a cable from the amps pre out sockets and connect it into the line level input of the sub.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

Thx fro your advice on the speakers. So, the hit list I have so far is the:

MA RX1 or 2s

Focal 706s

Dynaudio DM2/6 or 2/7

Epos M5is

ATC SCM 7s

PMC DB1s

Most of those are pretty much within my price range ((00Euros +/-). Although, here in Spain the Dynaudio DM series seems quite hard to come by - here there the Excite range. The PMC DB1i, as opposed to DB1, is double the price 1250Euros here, so maybe those are over the price range. Also as I mentioned the FR & FL will also be poart of a HT set up. So, which of the above might go well with a Denon AVR 2808 & B&W M1 center & rear right & left & the B&W sub? Or is there any on the hit list that shouldn't even be considered? Any order of preference?

Thx

Simon (La Vaina)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts