Speakers for Cyrus 6XP and CD6SE combo

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Ok following on from my last post.....I really want to go for the Cyrus gear...I like the sound and detail the gear produce, I like the fact it can be upgraded as funds allow by factory upgrade

So I am thinking Cyrus 6XP Amp and Cyrus CD6SE Player.......Initially I am thinking of retaininig my stand mount Castle Speakers...as these produce a very warm and laid back sound to tame the cyrus gear, but will upgrade at a later date.

However I am lost on speaker choice......I would like to consider the new MA Rx6 to see if these sound as good on the 6 Series, but not sure of they would be an overkill. But other than this I am lost. Was thinking of probably spending £700 to £1000 on speakers and not too worried about standmount or floorstanders.

Can anyone advise / provide suggestions.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The M/A RX6 speakers are superb and they'd suit a lot of systems but IMO they dont gel as well with Cyrus due to the Cyrus sound being quite forward and sometimes bright at the top end.

My partner had a Cyrus set-up (CDP, integrated and power) and she had it partnered with the B&W CM7's and they were superb.

Smooth but detailed midrange, superb bass depth and tautness and crisp, clear treble but not bright or harsh in any way.

I think other speakers to look at would be the Spendor's and maybe the Dynaudio's

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I use to own Dynaudio Excite X16s and I would highly recommend them. Holographic imaging. Deep bass that is quality bass, not boomy, but deep and tight. Real wood finish. I would think they would be an extremely good match for the Cyrus gear. The detail provided by the Cyrus setup combined with the smooth presentation of the X16s would be hard to beat. Try and get a demo...

Not sure about RX6's - others would disagree, saying that the RX range is far more amp-friendly. Can't argue with that as I've not heard the new range. I do know that the plder MAs aren't great synergy with Cyrus.

I would personally look at either s/hand or ex-dem Spendors S5E or Dynaudio Audience 52 SE. The reason being is a) the newer Dynos, according to WHFI don't fully extend the Cyrus like it should. b) The older Dyns are a stonking match with Cyrus.

The new Spendors, to my ears, are just a little too analytical, whereas the SE5's will probably sound slightly more forthright, therefore I believe give a slightly more even sound.

Wherever possible, please demo before parting with your money.

A

Anonymous

Try listening to the PMC GB1i as well while you're at it.

A

Anonymous

The Spendor S3E's can be bougt for about £500, and they go very well with Cyrus kit.

WHF had the 8VS2 and 8 cd player, in their 2007 ultimate systems guide, paired with the spendors.

Otherwise the S5E's would be a great choice for the floorstanders choice.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Take a look at my signature...

I suppose I would say this but Dynaudios do make a very good match for Cyrus stuff. My combo has a tight but full sound that is ideal for dance/rock/pop etc...

My Contours are 8 years old but still sound fantastic. A pair went on ebay recently for 600 pounds (1200 new back in 2001). Word of caution though. Most Dynaudio speakers are of lowish impedance and are not especially sensitive. Dynaudio doesn't beleive in biwiring either if thats important to you...

Therefore if you enjoy loud volumes in a largish room a Cyrus 6 XP may not be up to it.

Jason36:

Ok following on from my last post.....I really want to go for the Cyrus gear...I like the sound and detail the gear produce, I like the fact it can be upgraded as funds allow by factory upgrade

So I am thinking Cyrus 6XP Amp and Cyrus CD6SE Player.......Initially I am thinking of retaininig my stand mount Castle Speakers...as these produce a very warm and laid back sound to tame the cyrus gear, but will upgrade at a later date.

However I am lost on speaker choice......I would like to consider the new MA Rx6 to see if these sound as good on the 6 Series, but not sure of they would be an overkill. But other than this I am lost. Was thinking of probably spending £700 to £1000 on speakers and not too worried about standmount or floorstanders.

Can anyone advise / provide suggestions.

Hi Jason36

In addition to Monitor Audio's Silver RX6, Dynaudio's Excite16 and ATC's SCM11 are also worth considering.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
My very helpfull and friendly HiFi dealer has given me another suggestion for my system.........we have looked at the Cyrus 6 and as far as the upgrades go it really does price the 6 out of the market.....What are Cyrus Up to??.....nearly £750 to upgrade the 6XP to a 8XPd.....thats a total cost of more than an 8Xpd costs in the first place!!!

So he has suggested an 8XP Amp with 8SE CDP and the standard finish MA Rx6 speakers (I know, but I do really like the sound of the new MAs with the cyrus equipment), he has quoted me a figure of £2,724 which is definately within my budget as opposed to the nearly £3,500 I was quoted for the same equipment but with DAC on the Amp.

He has also suggested not upgrading the cables and interconnects yet and using some of theirs on home demo so I can find the right combination in my apartment.

This mean that I can then add an external DAC at a later date, probably better than the one in the 8XPd.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Jason36: My very helpfull and friendly HiFi dealer has given me another suggestion for my system.........we have looked at the Cyrus 6 and as far as the upgrades go it really does price the 6 out of the market.....What are Cyrus Up to??.....nearly £750 to upgrade the 6XP to a 8XPd.....thats a total cost of more than an 8Xpd costs in the first place!!!

I don't have costs to hand as it's my day off, but Cyrus have to strip down your machine, and build it back up with the relevant parts, test it, then ship it back to the store - this takes man hours, so there will be some costs involved for doing this. Plus your 2 year warranty starts again! Not bad really when compared to the alternative of selling your model on, losing money, then paying out for the more expensive one.....

So he has suggested an 8XP Amp with 8SE CDP and the standard finish MA Rx6 speakers (I know, but I do really like the sound of the new MAs with the cyrus equipment), he has quoted me a figure of £2,724 which is definately within my budget as opposed to the nearly £3,500 I was quoted for the same equipment but with DAC on the Amp.

The new MA RX range does go very well with the Cyrus. The system as it stands is a good solid one, and I doubt you'll get much better for the money, except for maybe tweaking the overall sound with different speakers. I would try the RX2's - it may seem a backward step for some, but a standmount does give a slightly different perspective on the sound compared to a floorstander. With a good pair of stands, like Atacama's HMS2's, they'll come out about the same price as the RX6's.

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
I have recently gone through a tough time trying to find the right speakers so if it helps i found:

Tannoy DC6 T - Very very good speaker, but the top end is far too bright and loud for me to enjoy long listening. I would go as far as saying too good at everything, but not to my taste.

Wharfdale 10.4's - Big and good in some ways, but sadly awful in a stereo set-up, i have now kept these as the fronts in my 5.1 set-up in another room.

On Saturday i listened to B&W 684's, MA Rx6 and also KEF Q500's.

The KEF's were harsh and the MA's were ok with a fairly balaced sound, but the 684 sounded the best after listening to them all last night have found they have cure my harhness problem.

Hope this helps

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
I have recently gone through a tough time trying to find the right speakers so if it helps i found:

Tannoy DC6 T - Very very good speaker, but the top end is far too bright and loud for me to enjoy long listening. I would go as far as saying too good at everything, but not to my taste.

Wharfdale 10.4's - Big and good in some ways, but sadly awful in a stereo set-up, i have now kept these as the fronts in my 5.1 set-up in another room.

On Saturday i listened to B&W 684's, MA Rx6 and also KEF Q500's.

The KEF's were harsh and the MA's were ok with a fairly balaced sound, but the 684 sounded the best after listening to them all last night have found they have cure my harhness problem.

Hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts