Speakers for Cambridge Audio Minx Xi

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I recently purchased the Cambridge Audio Minx Xi streamer and was looking to get some new speakers to go with it. The whathifi review recommended the Wharfedale Diamond 121s or the Q Acoustics Concept 20s and the 121s are within my budget. However, I cannot audition either of these and so I'm looking for some advice.

I like a clear and crisp sound with clear vocals, but still a decent amount of bass and body. The type of sound I want to avoid is anything that sounds stuffy or veiled, or where the vocals sound pushed back. I am happy with a bright sound provided there is still a decent amount of bass. Would the 121s be what I am looking for, or should I be condisering other options? Thank you in advice for any opinions or recommendations.

Becky_Roberts

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Malifact

The Q Acoustics Concept 20 (£350) are definitely your best bet, fitting your requirements sound-wise (bass is deep, and presentation clear, crisp and full).

But if you're looking for a cheaper option, Wharfedale's Diamond range is a good place to look, however we'd go for the latest iteration of Wharfedale's Diamond standmounts, the 220s (£180), over the 121s. These successors have a better sound and finish. If you do opt for these, though, note that you'll get more body and deeper bass from them when they're positioned near a rear wall. Out in the open, they do sound a bit light and airy.

Both will work well with the Cambridge streamer, though if you can stretch to the Concept 20s, go for them.

Hope this is of some help.

Becky Roberts
Staff Writer, What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Becky thanks for the response. I did demo the Concept 20s and Diamonds, but I decided to go with the Dali Zensor 3. Although they were a bit more than I was planning to spend, they sounded really good with the Minx Xi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts