Speakers for Audiolab 8200CD/CDQ and 8200A

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Intend to get the 8200CD or CDQ once the stock is in the local shops.

Already got the 8200A but still not open yet.

Any suggestions for speakers?

Currenlty considering the Dynaudio DM 2/6 or the Monitor Audio RX1.

Currently using Marantz CD/amp and Tannoy Speakers.

A

Anonymous

Why did you choose to buy things that way round? I always go for speakers first and worry about the rest later.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Guess not everyone thinks the same way.

Otherwise, things will get boring.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

No, but to me the logic says go for the bit that has the most influence on the sound first, not to mention the bit you can actually hear. I can understand the thinking for source first, but amplifier first I've never seen before except on this forum and wanted to know the thinking behind it.

I'm not saying its not a valid approach, just trying to work out why.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I had wanted to get the 8200CD and 8200A together at the same time after ademo-ed of the 8200CD and 8200A with a Quad 11L Classic. (The system sounded nice bit I felt it to be a bit too bass light for my taste).

The 8200CD were out of stock however. Only a display set. The stocks for the 8200A was still available. Therefore, got the 8200A first.

But heard now that the CDQ had additional tweaks by the designer to make it better. The 8200CD will not have these tweaks.

Therefore, may get the CDQ instead when stocks of teh CDQ and CD arrived in the local shops in mid Jan 11.

And therefore, askings for any other suggetions of speakers (instead of the Quad 11L).

Hope that clears any doubts.

A

Anonymous

No doubts, just curiosity! It doesn't really matters anyhow, I' ve come to the conclusion. My lounge room is littered with amps trying to find the best for my new speakers, some of which are OK, some ordinary, and one a decent match. The other way round wouldn't have made a any difference, since all that matters is finding a sound you can live with.

Can't recommend speakers, unfortunately. I've have heard your amplifier once, but the speakers it was driving were so limiting (Wharfedales) it would be unfair to make a recommendation. My experimentation has proven that, while there isn't the variation there is in speakers, there's enough to suggest unless you do know the characteristics of the amp, it's difficult to know what would suit.

Good luck in your quest.

A

Anonymous

Have you got your speakers? If so, what was your choice?

I', looking to get an Audiolab CDQ but with a pair of headphones. I can then add more once I have the cash. I was also looking at the Audiolab 8200A if I were to go for the straight Cd player. Would the CDQ and A be compatinle?

It'd be interesting to hear what you've got to say about 'em

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi SC, I have not bought the speakers yet.

In the end, I went for the CDQ.

My advise is, skip the first batch of CDQ as it did not come with the 12V trigger for power amps.

I knew about this when I purchase my CDQ but no regrets.

Skip the 8200A and get the 8200MB or 8200P/M when available.

Or choose any power amp you desire (after auditioning of course).

The pre-amp section of the CDQ is excellent. I would advise to skip any int amp or pre amp use and straight away use a power amp.

Best to use the XLR option if available on the power amp you choose.

The 8200MB for example, comes with XLR input.

As it does not have the on/off switch, therefore, the 12V trigger on the CDQ is quite important imo.

I decided to go for the new MA GX speaker.

Most likely the GX100 if funds allow. Otherwise the GX50.

Have a little write up here http://community.whathifi.com/forums/p/554207/555443.aspx#555443 .

But they should only arrive in April.

sedish chef:

Have you got your speakers? If so, what was your choice?

I', looking to get an Audiolab CDQ but with a pair of headphones. I can then add more once I have the cash. I was also looking at the Audiolab 8200A if I were to go for the straight Cd player. Would the CDQ and A be compatinle?

It'd be interesting to hear what you've got to say about 'em

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Grottyash:Why did you choose to buy things that way round? I always go for speakers first and worry about the rest later.

taking amp along to demo speakers is easier than getting dealers to agree to home demos when you've got speakers, at least until you break into the 4 figures.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts