Speakers for a recently purchased Rotel RA-820BX integrated amplifier

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

After trolling through numerous forums and reading through reviews on quality vintage hifi that you can grab at a bargain price via the likes of ebay etc, I went ahead and purchased a Rotel RA-820BX amplifier.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good modern day speakers that I could pair with it. I was thinking of getting the Dali Zensor 1's as they've had good reviews and for their price being well within my budget. Also would be amp be able to drive them @ 6ohms impedance? I'v read it can handle anywhere between 4-16ohms but I just want some clarification on this. My budget for speakers is £160-£200.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on speakers? Source material will be lossless files on a mid-2009 Macbook pro via optical through a beresford dac to the CD input on the amplifier.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Many thanks

Stu

A

Anonymous

Ooh, this was my first proper hifi amp and back in the day I had some JPW Sonatas on the end and it sounded brilliant. You could probably pick up a pair for £20 and I bet they'd sound every bit as good as anything new within your budget, they look pretty naff though...

matthewpiano

See if you can find a pair of B&W DM302 second hand. I had a pair as a teenager back in the 90s which I used with a Rotel RA-920AX and I loved the combination. They were very capable speakers for not much money.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response :)

I will definitely look into the BX's and I'v heard good things about them. Do Rotel amp's generally pair well with B&W's and monitor audio speakers as a rule of thumb? Or are they picky amplifiers for certain types of speakers?

Also as people have recommended speakers at around £250-£300 mark I may be persuaded to increase my budget to around £300 (although I would love to try and save some money and build a decent hifi from eBay). I'm perhaps more inclined to buy new speakers or a well looked after pair on eBay as a well used pair may affect overall sound quality. If I do increase my budget I'v been very tempted to look to get a pair of Arcaydis DM1's, as they've reviewed well and their at that price mark. Would this be a good match for the amp or does anyone think otherwise?

Let me know your thoughts

Again thanks :)

Stu

A

Anonymous

Just seen these on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JPW-Sonata-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speakers-MAX-POWER-70W-Biwiring-/120968687200?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1c2a4bae60#ht_3613wt_1213

Seem like a good find. What do people think?

A

Anonymous

They look like they've been modified - they have a different tweeter and have had an extra speaker terminal set added to the back so personally I'd steer well clear of those :)

If you do want to get some "age appropriate" speakers the JPW Gold Mini Monitors were fantastic too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts