Speakers for a Marantz PM8005 and SA8005?

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
What are some good speaker recommendations for a Marantz PM8005 intesgrated amp and SA8005 CD player? Preferably nothing too bright in the upper midrange and lower treble area. I really don't like sibilance which my Proac Signature 2000's seem to exhibit with everything except tubes.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Well I have to recommend the Kef R700s as I have found them to be a wonderful match. The R500s are also excellent if you want something smaller. I must add that I mainly play classical music alongside 60s / 70s pop so cannot comment on their suitability for other genres. Certainly wonderful for vocals.

Chris

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello fellow Marantz owner. *drinks*

The Kef R700's look like some nice speakers but $3600 usd is a little more than I want to spend though. I was thinking of maybe demoing the Golden Ear Trinton Sevens or some Dynaudios. I suppose I should at least check out the Kef R500's also.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I liked the PM8005 and NA8005 with the B&W 684s2. It was only a brief listen in store, but it was enough to make me think I'd take a closer look if I were in the market.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the sa/pm8005 partnered with Dynaudio standmounts and great match to my ears. Also Marantz Av with Dali floorstanders work well. Both Dyns and Dali quite expensive in the USA so would wait for an audition of the new Goldenear 5s which starred at CES -$2000 a pair & rave reviews from Sterophile etc.. No doubt these will be £2000 in the UK. Would err towards soft dome tweeters although even these suffer sililbance with the awful Led Zep 2 remastered!

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have the Neat Petit SX the Marantz Pearl Lite and think it's a great match. Thinking of buying your amp as the Pearl Lite version seems to be discontinued. It's worth pushing the boat out for your components, as they have bags of quality and deserve it.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
@ID.

Thanks for the suggestion. I like B&W but not sure they are quite right with Marantz. I would probably rather use Arcam or Rotel with them. On a side note, "Je suis plastic penguin"? Can you elaborate?

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi cse,

Thanks for the reply. I have been interested in the Neat Petite speakers. I also been thinking about buying a used pair of Kudos C1's or C2's. The reviews are great and from my readings it seems like a sound I would like. The problem is, is that I would be taking a chance as there are no dealers within 100's of miles from me.

If you were considering the Marantz Pearl Lite then I would go for the PM8005. The Pearl Lite was almost exactly the same as the Marantz PM8004 that was sold here in the States. The only difference was copper plating in the inside of the unit. I believe the new PM8005 circuitry has been tweaked so it may be a better sounding amplifier anyways then the Pearl Lite was.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
@emperor's new c..

Thanks for the new Golden Ear 5 suggestion. I didn't know they were coming out. They look like killer speakers for only $2000. I am still strongly considering the Sevens though. They are a little smaller and I think they would fit my smallish listening room better. They use two 5.5 inch mid bass units and two 8 inch passive woofers. I read the new Five's are going to use two 6 inch mid bass units and four 8 inch passive bass units. I am pretty sure that is going to overload my room. Plus the Sevens are only $1400.

I think your Dynaudio and Dali suggestions are right on the mark also. I believe for my ears that soft dome tweeters / or Golden Ear's folded ribbons are the way to go with these Marantz units. The Dynaudio Focus 160's or Dali's Rubicon 2's look promising. I already tried the PM8005 with some Canton Ergo 620's and the metal dome was a too much for me.

TRENDING THREADS