Speakers and Amplifier Power Matching

dfalir

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
1) Hi, I recently read some varying opinions about what is the "correct" analogy between the speakers power and the amplifier power. I was not aware of this information before and I would like to ask for your help.

I own the Audio Analogue Puccini SE remote amplifier that according to its technical data it produces 55W at 8 Ohm or 85W at 4 Ohm. I also own Monitor Audio Silver 4i bookself speakers with their technical data mentioning input impedance 8 Ohm with nominal RMS 100 Watt and MAX RMS 150 Watt. Also it says recomended power of amplifier 170 Watt.

Having read stories and disagreements about the importance of underpower amplifier vs overpowered amplifiers and the damage these issues can cause to the speakers or the amplifier I want to ask an expert whether my setup has a serious problem of causing damage either to my amplifier or to my speakers. And if yes, then what size of speakers should I purchase.

2) I also read about the "hype"of biwiring. Is it actually a hype or does it have real benefits?

Please reply, thank you all for your time.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
1) All will be fine unless u need to party at full volume which is never a good idea.

2) Some say biwiring is worthwhile but many doubt. I tried it without sucess as bi-amping. Try it if u wish.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
dfalir said:
1) Hi, I recently read some varying opinions about what is the "correct" analogy between the speakers power and the amplifier power. I was not aware of this information before and I would like to ask for your help.

I own the Audio Analogue Puccini SE remote amplifier that according to its technical data it produces 55W at 8 Ohm or 85W at 4 Ohm. I also own Monitor Audio Silver 4i bookself speakers with their technical data mentioning input impedance 8 Ohm with nominal RMS 100 Watt and MAX RMS 150 Watt. Also it says recomended power of amplifier 170 Watt.

Having read stories and disagreements about the importance of underpower amplifier vs overpowered amplifiers and the damage these issues can cause to the speakers or the amplifier I want to ask an expert whether my setup has a serious problem of causing damage either to my amplifier or to my speakers. And if yes, then what size of speakers should I purchase.

2) I also read about the "hype"of biwiring. Is it actually a hype or does it have real benefits?

Please reply, thank you all for your time.

Biwiring probably has no real effect, at least in my experience.

The figures quoted for your speakers are the maximum out puts (nominal and max rms).

Recommended amplifier power is up to 170w.

Rated at 8 ohm, but as far as I understand this is nominal. i.e. it dips lower depending on the frequency.

I couldn't find a recommended minimum amp power, but your amplifier is fine. Lower power amps run the risk of clipping and damaging the speaker if you turn the volume up beyond what the amp is capable of providing, but you will probably hear distortion before you start to damage your speakers. Unless you are trying to achieve nightclub volumes, I find it is surprisingly hard to make seakers clip. Just listen at a reasonable volume (better for your ears too). Because of this people often say it is better to have a more powerful amp. Even if you had an amp with over 170w you could run the speakers safely until you were supplying more than the maximum wattage that the speakers could handle.

No analogies, similies or metaphors required.

Re 1), there really is very little correlation. The sensitivity of the speakers is far more relevant when matching amplifier power. Using an analogy, the top speed of your car does not tell you how nicely it handles at normal speeds. Your amp is enough, unless as others say, you play it very loudly which is never wise.

dfalir

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments!

I had really started to worry, while reading these articles.

Regarding your comments I find it difficult to put the amplifier volume more than half, as the sound is more than my ears can "handle". I was worried that the amplifier was underpowered and that this could damage either the amplifier or the speakers.

Since you say its good, thank you for making me not to worry anymore, and I hope you can sleep nicely tonight, knowing that you just made clear to me that I should not purchase the Q acoustics 2020 speakers, as I now have no excuse to change my speakers! :) Hope you are happy!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The biggest issue here is not matching amplifier power to speaker power (handling) but simply having enough power for the speakers you wish to use.

As pointed out above, sensitivity is the key here, the lower the sensitivity the more power you need, for example a pair of £800 SCM7 requires roughly 10 times the power to play at the same level as a pair of £600 Q2050i, makes quite a difference.

Speakers are usually destroyed in one of two ways.

Firstly it is possible to blow up a pair of speakers with too much power, ie a powerful amplifier driven so hard that it's continuous power delivery is in excess of the rating for the speaker which overheats and fails, but this in a home situation is very unlikely.

Mostly, speakers are destroyed by lower power amplifiers that are overdriven, generally this means that they are turned up so high that the musical peaks exceed the capability of the amplifier so are cut off or 'clipped'.

This produces a lot of high frequency distortion, sometimes sufficiant to burn out the tweeter and can also cause severe problems elsewhere, often in the bass region, transient DC offset for example.

The solution is simple, don't overdrive the amplifier!

Now, this is the important bit. The position on the volume control is absolutely no indication of the power being delivered by the amplifier!

Use your ears, there is usually ample warning, the sound starts to fall apart so turn it down, If it is obviously distorting, you are already causing damage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts