Speakers ~£300

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

So many times I've sought the opinion of you all - I'm at the point now where I'm ready to buy stands and speakers - Atacama Nexus 7is and a pair of Monitor Audio RX1s. For a start, the MAs are a tiny bit out of my price range, and I've heard some bad things about them (Bright with exaggerated, boomy bass). The main reason for my upgrade is harshness and lack of detail, so I don't want to go back down that path. My room is about 5m x 4m, so I boomy bass is a massive no.

Here is a picture of how things look so far:
2e4jjn9.jpg

As you can see, so far I haven't bought any stands so the speakers are on the floor. On the right shelf is my amp, the unknown Pioneer A-Z370.

My question is, are £425 high power standmounts a bit too much? I've been looking at the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s - available for £149 - and I'm wondering if perhaps they are the better route to go by? I've never demoed anything before but I feel as though I should. I'm guessing I just need to give my local Richer Sounds a call?

I've also been looking at other speakers, closer to the price of the RX1s, such as the B&W 685. As can be seen from the picture, I am using a subwoofer at the moment, but it's passive and it is a horrendously bad match for the speakers. Perhaps I could get the Wharfedale SW150 and Diamond 10.1s together?

I don't want to pester Richer Sounds too much because I probably won't be buying from them in the end!

Any opinions on how the RX1s compare to the likes of the Diamond 10.1s would be a massive help. Right now, I'm feeling a little like this :help:

Many thanks,

Joseph :)

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I think I probably started out with too much detail there - my main question is will £425 standmounts (MA RX1) be too much for a 2.7 x 3.8m room (got official sizes from floor plans - my guesses were way out!)? Will the Wharfedales suffice? The last thing I want is a sibilant sound with exaggerated bass boom, though I would prefer a warmer sound that hits low.

Many thanks again,

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I really think the rx1 need more space, and personally I think they are all boom & tizz

Those were my suspicions. With a 2.7x3.8m bedroom, I think they might be a bit much. Your views echo other things I've heard about them, but on the other hand WHF? give them 5-stars and many people rave about them! Hmm :help:

matthewpiano

Personally I think the B&W 685s are much better speakers than the RX1s, but that is just my opinion.

Below the 685s my favourite speakers are the Dali Zensor 1s and Lektor 2s. Not a fan of the smaller B&W 686s at all and I think at that price point they are betterd by both sets of Dalis.

Best thing to do it get out there and do some listening.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I'd concur that the B&W685s are truly awesome speakers for the money. Better than the MAs? No, actually I'd have them in preference 'cos they're a little more laid back and, IMO, a teeny bit more detailed. But the B&Ws thump and party and make you want to get up and dance.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Personally I think the B&W 685s are much better speakers than the RX1s, but that is just my opinion.

Below the 685s my favourite speakers are the Dali Zensor 1s and Lektor 2s. Not a fan of the smaller B&W 686s at all and I think at that price point they are betterd by both sets of Dalis.

Best thing to do it get out there and do some listening.

roger06 said:
I'd concur that the B&W685s are truly awesome speakers for the money. Better than the MAs? No, actually I'd have them in preference 'cos they're a little more laid back and, IMO, a teeny bit more detailed. But the B&Ws thump and party and make you want to get up and dance.

plastic penguin said:
It all boils down to the sonic signature of your amp and source. I've not heard your Pioneer, but if it mirror others I've heard and owned the MAs may just be too bright.

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately, nobody actually deals either of those speakers anywhere near me, it'd be a very long drive to get anywhere that stocked them. Putting together all the opinions I've heard and reviews I've read, I'm nearing the conclusion that the B&W 685s are a little punchier, a little more upfront with vocals and a little more fun. I also heard their soundstage was a little narrower, which would be ideal for my smaller room.

I think I might just give the 685s a go. I might try and audition something similar at Richer Sounds to get an idea of what I'm buying. I'll post back when I'm a little further on.

Many thanks again for the guidance,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts