speaker with 8 inch driver for doom metal

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Right now my stereo setup is a Monitor audio rs6 with NAD 355 amp and NAD 345 CD.

I was talking to a friend who has the Monitor Audio rx2 and we both listen to Metal music (mainly doom, Black Sabbath, Katatonia, My dying bride).

He said that an 8 inch driver is a good choice when listening to Metal music in a 30 square meter room.

So I was thinking to demo some 8 inch drived standmounters to replace my RS6.

I already did demo the Tannoy DC8 which is magnificent , but too expensive!

My shortlist is:

Monitor Audio rx2

Dynaudio DM 2/8

What do you guys think of 8 inch driver speakers? And are there more speakers in the 1000 pounds budget range?

thanks

Rob

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
so much more to a speaker then the size of the driver. my old dyn focus110 only had something like a 4 or 5 inch mid/bass unit, yet could really hammer out deep, firm bass, more then a lot of floorstanders. imo, best not to focus on driver size, and just concentrate getting a speaker that gives what you want and works well with your kit.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I know driver don't say everything, but it is an important thing when you listen to Metal music.

I did demo, Audio Physic, PMC, Audiovector and Totem which all use small drivers and while they all deliver good bass, the overall sound was too thin with metal music.

Speakers with bigger drivers like RX2 and DC8 did deliver a much bigger sound with my music. 80% of my cd collection is metal, maybe 10% rock and 10% classical.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest you look at active monitors.

These will give you far more control than a passive setup in your price range.

Slightly out of budget, but if you sell your amp and speakers there is a pair of ATC scm20-2 actives on ebay. You would need to add a pre amp though.

Also, the Event Opal active studio monitor. These are about £2500 but have an 8inch driver. Look up video's on them on youtube.

Keeping within budget, i would still look at active studio monitors from manufacturers like KRK and Genelec.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts