Speaker upgrade for my onkyo 605 / quad lite

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have a Onkyo 605 with the quad lite speaker package, good as the quad lites are Im not entirely happy with the music sound in stereo (lacking some depth and dynamic sound). Now Im pretty sure this is not down to the Onkyo as it is a very good receiver. I was looking at possibly upgrading the front speakers, and using existing fronts to create 7.1 surround. Please could somebody help recommend some decent front speakers that would work well with the quads? I quite like the look of the Kef iq5 floor standers, or maybe some by monitor audio? Or if there are any others you think are worth a look please let me know! thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi, appreciate if somebody is able to help me.
Many thanks

A

Anonymous

Demoed the Onkyo 805 with the Monitor Audion BR2 plus a REL T1 today, with a PS3 as source. Compared to style packages, this kit gave amazing depth and body, in a different league, particularly stereo. Try them, you'll be impressed. I wondered if the BR5 fronts would add anything? I am demming the KEF IQ5SE next week and intend to choose between the two sets.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response, please could you let me know how you get on with the Kef IG5se? cheers

A

Anonymous

JCS,

Personally, I'd prefer the same make of speakers to match timbre and ensure sound is cohesive in multichannel music / movies (But that's just me! :) ).

If you like bookshelf speakers, demo a pair of 12Ls. You might be surprised by the depth it offers for the size. Bookshelf speakers are probably best if your listening area is small.

Depending on budget, you could even try the Quad floorstanders. The 22Ls are flagship, but make sure you have the space for these to perform at their best..

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advise, was a bit concerned about having mis matched makes of speakers. I will have a look into the quads 22Ls. Are you able to recommend some good floor stands to go with them? cheers

A

Anonymous

The 22Ls are floorstanders, JCS; you wont need a stand for them. at approx ~850ish per pair, they are not exactly cheap (certainly not for me, at least). I'm not sure of you budget.

If you're going the bookshelf route, try the Quad 12 Ls (demo them.. its personal preference at the end of the day). Again, depending on budget, the Partington Super Dreadnoughts are extremely good stands, albeit expensive.

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks didnt realise, budget is around 300, not sure if i can justify spending 850! Would these speakers be too good for the onkyo 605? I would prefer floor standers as would save buying stands, and floor standers are meant to give better depth and bass. Will have to find somewhere local for some demos with a 605
cheers

A

Anonymous

Buying them would certainly make the amp the bottleneck, but hey, that would be the next upgrade! :)

Sorry, had to say that. Its funny how there's no looking back once you've jumped onto this upgrade route.. there never seems to be an end to it!

All the best in your search. Once again, keep room size in mind while deciding between bookshelf & floorstanders.

Over and out..

A

Anonymous

thanks for the advice bincym, have decided against those floor standers as they would be over kill for my room which is 4metres by 5metres and not looking to upgrade the onkyo 605

Have been looking at the Quad 11L2 or 12L2, would anybody know how well these would integrate with the quad lites please? Both sets acheived 4 stars which is ok, would prefer 5 star though. The quality of stereo music is very important to me. I am pleased with movie performance of the quad lites, just stereo is letting the side down i feel.

Or a how about a wild idea - should I sell the quad lites speakers, maybe keep the sub and get 5 new speakers?!

hmmm too many decisions too much choice!! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts