Speaker upgrade for my Marantz PM/CD6003

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

It is my first post on the forum !

It'll be about a speaker upgrade. I recently had an issue with my Marantz PM6003 bought in Jan 10. After running few minutes, a big noise was appearing in the left speaker. I went to superfi where I bought it and they replaced it by a new one. You must think, why is he speaking about an amp issue when his topic is about speaker upgrade !

Actually, when I came to superfi, they tested my amp on B&W CM8, I could here the superb sound during two or three minutes before my ampli started the noise !!

At the moment I have wharfedale 10.1, I am happy with them, but when i heard the sound of these beast, I really think : "oops, I need new speakers".

This B&W CM8 looks nice, but maybe a little bit to expensive, and I don't really know if my Marantz PM6003 is enough to drive this kind of speakers. I never thought about Floor Standing speakers before and still don't know if for my room and my amp it is a good idea. I have a small room, something like 5*4 meters, with carpet on the floor and high ceilling, more than 3 meters. If that can help you to give me some advice ! :-]

Another question, can we compare the price of Floor Standing speakers and Bookshelf speakers ? I mean is a Floor Standing speaker of 500£ will perform as good as a bookshelfspeaker ?

I hope you could help me on this !

Cheers !

nufcmarson

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I've got the Marantz 6003 CD and Amp combo. I use Monitor Audio Bronze BX2s and they sound absolutely fantastic for the price!! I wouldn't have thought they would be a massive leap compared to the Wharfedales, but good enough. The trouble is, now you have heard the B&W's, everything under that price bracket will probably sound inferior. A compromise, especially in your size room could be the B&W 685'S, they are a really good speaker for the money.

greghass said:
Hello everyone,

It'll be about a speaker upgrade. I recently had an issue with my Marantz PM6003 bought in Jan 10. After running few minutes, a big noise was appearing in the left speaker. I went to superfi where I bought it and they replaced it by a new one. You must think, why is he speaking about an amp issue when his topic is about speaker upgrade !

Actually, when I came to superfi, they tested my amp on B&W CM8, I could here the superb sound during two or three minutes before my ampli started the noise !!

At the moment I have wharfedale 10.1, I am happy with them, but when i heard the sound of these beast, I really think : "oops, I need new speakers".

This B&W CM8 looks nice, but maybe a little bit to expensive, and I don't really know if my Marantz PM6003 is enough to drive this kind of speakers. I never thought about Floor Standing speakers before and still don't know if for my room and my amp it is a good idea. I have a small room, something like 5*4 meters, with carpet on the floor and high ceilling, more than 3 meters. If that can help you to give me some advice ! :-]

Another question, can we compare the price of Floor Standing speakers and Bookshelf speakers ? I mean is a Floor Standing speaker of 500£ will perform as good as a bookshelfspeaker ?

Cheers !

Welcome to the forum You said you heard a "big noise" out of one speaker: Winston Churchill, perhaps? ;) Could be more concise in the description? Floorstanders and bookshelf are a little different in as far as the floorstanders give a bigger soundstage and extended bass. On the other hand, generally speaking, the compact price compatible standmount will have better agility, detail and speaker placement. Both will exceed with imaging and treble rsponse. Given the size of room I'd look at standmounted, but one could try a compact floorstander such as MA RX or RS6. The RS6, in my view, comes the closest to bridging the standmounter and traditional tower - probably the RX too, but I've not heard them. Your room dimensions are on the cusp. Go back to the dealer and listen to a few variations, and then, with a short-list of 'ONE', ask for a home demo. Hope this helps.

greghass said:
Hello everyone,

Cheers !

Hi greghass

A £500 floorstanding can offer impressive results compared to similarly priced bookshelf designs.

Monitor Audio's BX2, BX5 or Dynaudio's DM 2/6 and DM 27's are also worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hello:

I have a 6003 and I am waiting for some EB Acoustics EB1. They should arrive in the coming days. When I have them, I tell how the work.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Welcome to the forum You said you heard a "big noise" out of one speaker: Winston Churchill, perhaps? ;) Could be more concise in the description? Floorstanders and bookshelf are a little different in as far as the floorstanders give a bigger soundstage and extended bass. On the other hand, generally speaking, the compact price compatible standmount will have better agility, detail and speaker placement. Both will exceed with imaging and treble rsponse. Given the size of room I'd look at standmounted, but one could try a compact floorstander such as MA RX or RS6. The RS6, in my view, comes the closest to bridging the standmounter and traditional tower - probably the RX too, but I've not heard them. Your room dimensions are on the cusp. Go back to the dealer and listen to a few variations, and then, with a short-list of 'ONE', ask for a home demo. Hope this helps.

Actually, it is difficult to give more details. It seems that it needs that the amplificateur warm up a little bit, and after that it gives an horrible sound (like saturate) on the left speaker. If I switch off and then on right after, I still had the problem. I needed to give some time (off) for the noise to leave. And then appear agaoin after few minutes ON.

Thanks to all of you for the speaker you told me about. I'll try to go to superfi to have a look next week. Do you know great HIFI shop in London and not to expensive and where I could test lots of stuffs ?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I went with my cousin to buy this amp. We tried the Kef Q300s, Monitor Audio Bronse BX2s and the B&W 685s.

I liked the MAs but he settled on the B&Ws as prefers a bit more oomph. All sounded amazing for the money though...

Campaign

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
The noise seems like it could be a problem, if the amp is realtively new i'd be talking to the dealer. The PM6003 has enough welly to drive a relatively sensitive floorstander, MA RS6 should go well with the Marantz. I have PM6002 driving MS Mezzo 6 through both A and B speaker channels without issue. They sound good, I know that more power will make a good floorstander sound better but they are driven well enough. Id try the CM5s and the MA RS6 or if you can get your hands on a pair of second hand CM7s i think they would be a big step up from your 10.1s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts