Question Speaker to buy with Yamaha RXV-685

sand87ch

May 13, 2020
Visit site
I plan to buy YAMAHA RXV-685.These are the speakers i came across in around the same price range.

1.Polk S20e (8 ohm)
2.Elac Debut B6.2 (6 ohm)

Narrowed it down to these two.

Which one is the best option?

Is an 8 ohm better than a 6 ohm considering i read that its better to not stress mid range amps and use them at the default 8 ohm setting rather than using the 6 ohm switch.

Last edited:

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I plan to buy YAMAHA RXV-685.after reading for days and months i have certain doubts now that i have some ideas of what speakers and what budget i want

1. Polk RTiA1 bookshelf for 25k INR(8 ohm)
2. TAGA 806F floor standing(6 ohm)-36K
3. YAMAH NSF-160(6 ohm) for around 35k
4. Yamaha NS-F71 (6 ohm) for around 25k
5. BIC America PL 66(8 ohm)-28k INR

there are some other options as well in this range from the likes of BIC or Wharfdale and even S20 from POLK.

Please note i dont intend to go for speaker package unless you guys think that there is a better speaker package option in say 50k or 60k.

My questions are as follows:-
1.Is an 8 ohm better than a 6 ohm considering i read that its better to not stress mid range amps and use them at the default 8 ohm setting rather than using the 6 ohm switch.
2. Should i go for a better speaker viz the R or S series i have mentioned here and later slowly build up the system over the years purchasing pair of speakers at the time or ,
3.Go ahead with some floor standing speaker pair mentioned here?

Or can any of you suggest alternatives considering as of now i can spend 25k-35k on speakers as of now for a pair of bookshelf or floorstanding.The thing is just for getting a floor standing i dont want to make major concessions at this price range.
I have many more doubts which sadly i dont get surfing online but i will discuss along the way as i see the answers and gain more insight.

I am a noob and hence i expect that your answers will let me bring close to a decision
Sorry but which currency is K ?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know either brand. The main differences are that the Polk is a slightly more efficient speaker and has a bottom firing bass port.
Both are part of a range that includes a centre speaker. I assume you are purchasing the Yamaha for cinema duties?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Unless someone has heard or owned these speakers, and with your amp, it's hard to give further advice.
All I can add is that I have a cinema setup where the speakers (front bookshelves, centre, back and sub) are just over twice the cost in total, to the cost of the amp. When I did my research that seemed to be about the right balance.
There is no point (to me) in having cheap or more expensive speakers in comparison to the amp.
You should try to listen to them both ideally.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts