Speaker suggestions for Creek intergrated?

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi, Im soon to aquire a Creek 4330 to replace my Alpha 8R which I have been using with a pair of mission 734's circa 1995. The missions have done me well but are probably past their cell by date a little. Also seeing as i'm gonna be 10W down on the arcam I was thinking of some bookshelves with a higher sensitivity to suit the Creek. Was wondering what people would suggest, new or 2nd hand that would suit the speed and punchiness of the Creek.? my budget is max £150

A

Anonymous

EPOS are the natural partners being the same company.

John Duncan

I've had Diamond 9.1s on the end of a Creek (though not yours) and they sounded great, and should be well within budget now that the 10.1 is out. The alternative is to find some s/h Epos within your budget, since they're made for each other, literally.

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a Creek 4330 myself - great amp for the money I paid - £120 secondhand. This amp doesn't get much discussion in the UK but was very popular in the States - big plaudits for the Creek in Stereophile I think. I wouldn't worry about being 10 watts down by the way - the 4330 is a high current design.

I use AVI Neutron IV speakers with mine (secondhand £200) and to me these sound fantastic.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Epos would be ideal, but whether you can purchase a pair for £150 is doubtful. I would look at, apart from Wharfedale, Monitor Audio BR2 s/hand.

Second hand M5 usually go for £150 or just a smidgen over on everyone's favourite auction site. They come up up periodically, although a bit of patience would be required.

matthewpiano

The 4330 is pretty easy to match and works well with most speakers but it really is worth persevering to get the absolute best out of it.

The Epos suggestions are excellent if you can find them on budget, but I'll add a few thoughts based on speakers I've tried with my 4330R.

Mordaunt-Shorts are a great match. If you really want to keep the budget tight, seek out a pair of MS20i Pearls. Excellent, incisive but musically engaging speakers, available in good condition for around the £50-£60 mark these days. The more recent Avant 902is work quite well, but they aren't as natural sounding as the Pearls so out of the two I'd stick with the older design. The Avants are a little OTT at the frequency extremes - something MS really sorted out with the current Aviano range. The Aviano range works really well and I love the way my Aviano 2s sound with the Creek - plenty of detail, lots of control, really impressive bass depth but also a great sense of atmosphere and spot-on soundstaging. Good rhythmically too. If these are a little large for you, the Aviano 1XRs would be well worth a try and give a slightly faster sound, though with some loss of warmth. Both Aviano designs are very fluid and engaging sounding, with a naturalness of presentation (particularly in the bigger speakers) that is very appealing.

Mission 751s work superbly with the Creek, particularly if you want the sound to major on detail, openness and pace, rhythm and timing. You should be able to pick up a clean pair for well within your budget and their very rigid construction helps them to create a great sense of atmosphere too.

If you prefer a softer edged sound but with very tangible soundstaging and a fluid mid-range, try to find a pair of the original Quad 11Ls. The Creek has a great ability to get the best out of these speakers and produce a relatively rich sound with plenty of strength. There is a slight lack of clarity at the frequency extremes though, which can get a little irritating.

New at £130, the Tannoy Mercury V1s make an interesting partnership with the Creek. You get a very fast, energetic sound and if you like the impressive school of hi-fi it might fit the bill. However, longer listening sessions can get tiring and the V1s, great budget boxes though they are, don't really get the best out of the amp.

Hope this helps a little! Enjoy the amp. Its a superb design.

matthewpiano said:
The 4330 is pretty easy to match and works well with most speakers but it really is worth persevering to get the absolute best out of it.

The Epos suggestions are excellent if you can find them on budget, but I'll add a few thoughts based on speakers I've tried with my 4330R.

Mordaunt-Shorts are a great match. If you really want to keep the budget tight, seek out a pair of MS20i Pearls. Excellent, incisive but musically engaging speakers, available in good condition for around the £50-£60 mark these days. The more recent Avant 902is work quite well, but they aren't as natural sounding as the Pearls so out of the two I'd stick with the older design. The Avants are a little OTT at the frequency extremes - something MS really sorted out with the current Aviano range. The Aviano range works really well and I love the way my Aviano 2s sound with the Creek - plenty of detail, lots of control, really impressive bass depth but also a great sense of atmosphere and spot-on soundstaging. Good rhythmically too. If these are a little large for you, the Aviano 1XRs would be well worth a try and give a slightly faster sound, though with some loss of warmth. Both Aviano designs are very fluid and engaging sounding, with a naturalness of presentation (particularly in the bigger speakers) that is very appealing.

Mission 751s work superbly with the Creek, particularly if you want the sound to major on detail, openness and pace, rhythm and timing. You should be able to pick up a clean pair for well within your budget and their very rigid construction helps them to create a great sense of atmosphere too.

If you prefer a softer edged sound but with very tangible soundstaging and a fluid mid-range, try to find a pair of the original Quad 11Ls. The Creek has a great ability to get the best out of these speakers and produce a relatively rich sound with plenty of strength. There is a slight lack of clarity at the frequency extremes though, which can get a little irritating.

New at £130, the Tannoy Mercury V1s make an interesting partnership with the Creek. You get a very fast, energetic sound and if you like the impressive school of hi-fi it might fit the bill. However, longer listening sessions can get tiring and the V1s, great budget boxes though they are, don't really get the best out of the amp.

Hope this helps a little! Enjoy the amp. Its a superb design.

Matthew, think this may of been concluded given it goes back to 2009. I only sussed it this morning.

Matter of interest, RS6s sound superb with Creek.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Epos are an obvious match given it's the same company - you could however consider Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (still to my ears some of the best bookshelf speakers under £200)

A

Anonymous

Some EPOS ES11s I think with stands have gone on fleabay recently for aorund the £100 mark, you can do an advanced search on "EPOS speaker" and check the "completed listings" option and you'll see whats gone in the past couple of weeks. At that price they're a bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts