Speaker suggestions for an old amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ive just aquired an Audiolab 8000a from back in the day which im running through a pair of TDL near field monitors however i feel im not getting the best out it so im thinking of investing around 200-250 in a new pair of speakers. Does anyone have any recomendations for a good partner for the Audiolab? any age or era

A

Anonymous

HI not sure whats avalible for that price,but i swear by B&W and a great company to.

Hope it was some help.

A

Anonymous

how do these compare with modern/recentish speakers say kef iq5 or monitor audios?

T

the record spot

The 752s at £195 BIN are optimistically priced. By and large, they go for around half that. Plus they're the bog standard black ash version, I'd see the point if they were the rosewood or maple finish.

Used: Mission 752 (all that said!), KEF Q35.2

New: Q Acoutics 1030i or 1050i if you've space for the latter.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:The 752s at £195 BIN are optimistically priced. By and large, they go for around half that. Plus they're the bog standard black ash version, I'd see the point if they were the rosewood or maple finish. Used: Mission 752 (all that said!), KEF Q35.2 New: Q Acoutics 1030i or 1050i if you've space for the latter.

not sure when last you checked the value of your speakers?
emotion-1.gif

they now sell for approx £160-£170 on auction format (not buy it now) as not many get advertised and they are becoming sought after... in rosewood, you can expect to pay inexcess of £300

here are all current listings on ebay

in completed listings .... none were listed over the past few weeks and nothing shows up on the ebay search

T

the record spot

I got a bargain then; mine were £80 about 15 months ago - rosewood too! Result!

A

Anonymous

Cant seem to find them anywhere... I think its looking like the mission 752.

I have seen teh 753 and TDL RTL3 go for around £200 would these be a better/similar choice?

on a seperate note it came with no instruction manual im a little unsure how to wire it up. on the front there is an option for speakers on/off. on the back is below
Untitled-3.jpg

for the time being im wiring it into a some TDL near field monitors that only have 1 set of inputs on each speaker so im wondering what should i do? imagine the 8 bindings on the back are numbers 1-8 (starting from the top left)

e.g.
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

would i just ignore the bottom row and do 1 to the + on the right TDL and 2 to the - on the right TDL.. then 3 4 for the left same process
-OR-
would i bi-wire(bi amp?) it use 1 and 5 to the single binding post on the + on the right speaker and 2 and 6 to the - on the right speaker..then 3 4, 7 8 for the left <- would this require the "speakers on/off" button pressing?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The switch on the front of the amp only affects the lower row of terminals, marked 'switched'.

For the TDLs, just use the top row of speaker terminals, unless you want to be able to turn off the speakers, for eaxmple when using headphones, in which case you'd use the lower set.

If biwiring you could either use cables commoned into one set of plugs - ie the left HF and LF 'red' cables are terminated together in a single red plug at the amp end, and so on, then just use the upper 'direct' terminals, which sound a shade clearer than the switched ones, or use separate cables from amp to speaker, in which case I'd use the lower switched sockets for the bass. And of course switch the terminals on using the front-panel control.

To biamp you'll need to add a power amp, such as the 8000P.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:or use separate cables from amp to speaker, in which case I'd use the
lower switched sockets for the bass. And of course switch the terminals
on using the front-panel control.
not quite sure what you mean here would this be using all 8 terminals on the back of the amp? is there any benefit to this i.e. more power so more controlled?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts