Speaker Stands

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I have just upgraded my speakers, and my Soundstyle Z2 stands are looking a bit small. The Dynaudio Focus 160 perches on the small top plate in a manner that provides little confidence. The set up feels stable, but looks anything but. I blutack my speakers to the stands, and with care they will work but I am wondering if a more rugged stand will be better.

I like the look of Atacama products, their range includes some interesting alternatives to the normal metal plates. Also, you can customise the products to a certain degree which means that I can get the top plates up to a better size.

Any recommendations? Or should I stick with the Soundstyles, which always get decent reviews

Boomer

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
NJB said:
I have just upgraded my speakers, and my Soundstyle Z2 stands are looking a bit small.  The Dynaudio Focus 160 perches on the small top plate in a manner that provides little confidence.  The set up feels stable, but looks anything but.  I blutack my speakers to the stands, and with care they will work but I am wondering if a more rugged stand will be better.

I like the look of Atacama products, their range includes some interesting alternatives to the normal metal plates.  Also, you can customise the products to a certain degree which means that I can get the top plates up to a better size.?

Any recommendations? Or should I stick with the Soundstyles, which always get decent reviews

Hi there, I asked a similar question a couple of weeks back and got recommended custom design, so I went out and tried a set and to be honest I found them OK but im not a fan of these 5 pillar designs(or 4/3). There is to much resonance giving you a cloudy bass which really messes up the sound. I had my Focus 160s on partington super dreadnauts and I had been using them for a while, until I went back to my old Target HR 40s. These stands are so good, when I put them on everything was more clear and refined, it cleaned up the low frequencys which then brought more refinement.

So if I were you I would try find a set of Target HR40s or 60s, they are 1 piece cast solid metal that can be sand filled, but my experience is they are better empty. One other thing to note, I have the HR40s (40cm)and there a bit low so the 50s or 60s would probably be better. There is a Hifi choice review on them to if you Google it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am using the Atacama SL600i stands. The top plate is 225mm x 225mm which is just 10mm less than the width (and depth) of my speakers (including grilles) so it's perfect for support and yet the top-plate doesn't poke out anywhere around the speaker's base.

The baseplates are 305mm x 305mm so they are very stable.

The Gel Pads that are supplied are excellent.

I got lucky with the top plate dimension on these stands as they seem 'bespoke' for my speakers :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Z2s are decent stands, especially if part filled with Kiln Dried sand.

Have you considered Dynaudio's own stands or some from Linn.

Hi . I've just bought some attacama moseco 6's,comming from some mission stance and then to b&w fs700's which have been the most solid stand I've used to date.one tub of attabites in those and they are not going anywhere.the moseco are nice enough and maybe have the slight edge on sonic abilities against the b&w but the moseco's aren't quite as planted and as you mentioned,they have a very small base plate. larger plates can be purchased at £30 as can a plate for the plinth to add stability.Imho these extras should be standard offerings and I get the feeling that attacama are fleecing customers at every opportunity,so I'd say buy something else.lol.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

The central column of my Z2 stands are filled with some kind of expanded polystyrene type material. Not much room for sand, or am I missing something?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
NJB said:
CnoEvil said:

The central column of my Z2 stands are filled with some kind of expanded polystyrene type material.  Not much room for sand, or am I missing something?
I have those stands and removed the polystyrene; then I filled all three columns with sand...as described here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/adventures-eccentric-irish-hi-fi-enthusiast

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Dynaudio seem to recommend their Stand 6, but these are quite pricey. Their Stand 3X is similar, but more affordable. I noticed that they recommend the 3X for their DM 2/7, which has similar weight/size to my Focus 160s, and thus could be a good option. However, a used pair of Atacama HMS 1.1 have been put my way. I don't know much about them, except that they look pretty solid. I am trying to work out if they will be a good match for my Dynaudios. Guess there is only one way to check, unless anybody has experience of them.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
I am using the Atacama SL600i stands. The top plate is 225mm x 225mm which is just 10mm less than the width (and depth) of my speakers (including grilles) so it's perfect for support and yet the top-plate doesn't poke out anywhere around the speaker's base.

I got lucky with the top plate dimension on these stands as they seem 'bespoke' for my speakers :)

I also found the gel pads very good.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
chebby said:

I just got the Atacama ones. The gel pads are immense but the speakers sit high and look vulnerable. Do you think it is a bit too mad if I BluTack them on to the gel pads? Hoping to keep the isolation but gain some security.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
NJB said:
Andrewjvt said:
chebby said:

I just got the Atacama ones. The gel pads are immense but the speakers sit high and look vulnerable. Do you think it is a bit too mad if I BluTack them on to the gel pads? Hoping to keep the isolation but gain some security.

In that case get stands where the top plates are close to the dimensions of your speakers (for stability) or just use Blu-tack by itself.

As i mentioned earlier. I am fortunate that my speaker bases and stand's top plate dimensions are very nearly identical all round, so they are very stable and don't need fixing in place. The Gel pads offer enough horizontal resistance to movement without actually sticking to the speakers. In homes with dogs/kids/clumsy adults then speakers on stands are daft anyway. Then you need sturdy wall brackets, or floorstanders with those safety chains that prevent fridges and cupboards from being pulled over! (Or a locked listening room.)

chebby said:
NJB said:
Andrewjvt said:
chebby said:

In that case get stands where the top plates are close to the dimensions of your speakers (for stability) or just use Blu-tack by itself.

As i mentioned earlier. I am fortunate that my speaker bases and stand's top plate dimensions are very nearly identical all round, so they are very stable and don't need fixing in place. The Gel pads offer enough horizontal resistance to movement without actually sticking to the speakers. In homes with dogs/kids/clumsy adults then speakers on stands are daft anyway. Then you need sturdy wall brackets, or floorstanders with those safety chains that prevent fridges and cupboards from being pulled over! (Or a locked listening room.)

Locked listening room? Now there's a thought..... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts