Speaker Stand Possible Replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have a pair of Atacama SE24 stands, the triangular single column ones. They are filled with sand just to add some mass. I was wondering if there would be any benefit in changing them for something else. They were 5 star back in the days when they were available but have they been overtaken. Current trends seem to go for multi column types. The SE 24 are structurally sound but have a couple of rust spots showing. If there is no gain in changing them I will get them stripped and powder coated. Budget...powder coating will cost me 25.00.....replacement circa 150.00. You can guess what my pocket says. Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No; i wouldnt bother replacing them.

Theyre still very good stands and i would say theyre better than the Nexus range Atacama have currently.

If you wanted to improve them just that bit more, add Atabites instead of sand; they really do make a difference! Also; if youre bothered about the rust spots; you could always strip them and re-paint them using Hammerite or similar... The matt black finish is very good :)

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Blimey - I could have written that post! I too have the SE24s and are about 16 years' old. A couple of questions...

1. what are atabites? (they sound like micro computer bugs that crawl into your eye - like in Minority Report...) and where would one buy them?

2. What prep would be needed prior to appying Hammerite paint ? Just a good clean ? or would one need to key the surface with sandpaper?

thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Atacama atabites - http://www.chaseavdirect.co.uk/ccp6/prod--Atacama-Atabites-High-Density-Filler.html

Theyre a high denisty filler and they 'interlock' with each other. They weigh a good deal so they help to dampen down the resonance through the speaker stand to make the speaker 'sing' much better and also help with bass response.

And... They DO make a difference over sand etc...

Also with regards to re-doing the speakers stands:

I used Nitromors which you can get from Halfords; painted that on and it strips the paint. The gave them a good thorough clean with hot water and fairy liqued and then let them air dry. Once that was done i sprayed them with 2 good coats of Hammerite primer (grey usually); let that dry and then gave them 3-4 coats of Hammerite Matt Black finish.

Make sure you use the spray cans as it makes life easier. Alos; when spraying the Matt Black; do it in light, even coats, dont go out full whack or else you'll end up with runs.

If you have patience and take your time the finish is brilliant and all for about £20!

A

Anonymous

roger06:what are atabites?

More prosaically, they are chopped up nails. I discovered this when I bought a tub and found some nails at the bottom that had survived unscathed.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
tractorboy:roger06:what are atabites?

More prosaically, they are chopped up nails. I discovered this when I bought a tub and found some nails at the bottom that had survived unscathed.

LOL, and covered with snake oil no doubt!

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know how many tubs it will take to fill a pair of SE24 stands?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The tubs are 10kg - 15kg i think so one should be more thsan enough. You dont need to fill them right to the top as the weight should be enough

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:The tubs are 10kg - 15kg i think so one should be more thsan enough. You dont need to fill them right to the top as the weight should be enough

The tubs are listed as being 9kg......however, its not the weight that I need to know its the volume.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, I've never seen your speaker stands in the flesh, but judging from pictures, it looks like there is a lot of space inside those single columns.... the atabites are quite dense and heavy, so a 9kg tub isn't enormous... to give you an idea, a 9 kg tub filled the front columns of my Soundstyle Z2 stands (check for pics on the internet to compare) with maybe a quarter of the tub left over.

A

Anonymous

I'm going to guess that the SE24 are at least twice the volume so on that basis I will need 3 tubs.......maybe 4.

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No... 2 x 9kg tubs is more then enough IMO.

You DONT need to fill the stands; the idea is to weigh them down suffieciently that all bass resonance travles through the stand.

9kg in each is more then anough

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:No... 2 x 9kg tubs is more then enough IMO.

You DONT need to fill the stands; the idea is to weigh them down suffieciently that all bass resonance travles through the stand.

9kg in each is more then anough

You may be right but the way I see it is that these things ring like big ben...... I am assuming that they need to be damped enough to stop it and the only way you can do it with these is to fill them nearly up to the top. OK...maybe I did do my experiments with sand but I can tell you that if they are only half filled they resonate big time. Maybe I'm wrong......I hope I am and then I can save myself a couple of quid.......more opinions please.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Theyre weighty stands in their own right so no, thay wont 'ring'.

BUT the added mass helps them to dampen resonance and hels the bass travel better.

The SE24 stands i had with B&W 602 S2's (the largest standmount speaker B&W did) sounded great with 1 tub of atabites in each. I did initially put more in them but IMO it detracted the sound a little and made them a bit dull.

9kg in each is plenty but to begin with; less is more! Try half a tub in each and see how it sounds and then start to add more until you feel that the sound is 'full'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts