Speaker shorlist help needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Chaps,

Now that my broken amp issue has been resolved by the insurance company (replacement Kandy Liii is in the post) I am ready to draw up a shortlist to replace my speakers (mk1 Quad 11L's) for a something with more bass weight which i've lost in the new room. I need a speaker that will pair well with the Kandy / Arcam CD82 and give me more bass without losing any control. I was thinking about RX6's but am concerned that they will be too overblown in the room. The room itself is 4.5m x 5m, the speakers are on the 4.5 wall. Although the room is 5m deep x 4.5m widedeep, the listening area is smaller than that as there is a staircase up one side and a walkway behind the sofa, so in effect I am sitting about 3m max from the speakers and the speakers cant be more than about 2m to 2.5m apart. The floor is hard concrete (carpeted) and I have atabite filled nexus 6 stands. My budget is about £750, all suggestions will be welcomed so I can draw up a shortlist to audition.

Cheers

Jamie

A

Anonymous

You could try the PMC DB1i. Quite a bassy little speaker that belies it's size. If they don't do it then try some Dynaudios, maybe the DM2/8.

Edit - OK, the PMC is more expensive than I remember. The new MA RX series has a larger bookshelf, the RX2, with an 8inch driver. You might find that the RX1s are deep enough.

A

Anonymous

I just looked up db1i's at 770. thats in the budget so will put them on the list. So do you think that it def needs to be standmounts in the room I described?

Would the MA's not be a little bright to work with the Kandy?

A

Anonymous

For me, in that arrangement, I would advise trying standmounts as a first call. It's all down to taste but I think it's easy to over do it with speaker size. The Quad 11L are pretty bass light so you might find a different standmounter more suitable.

The new MA RX series isn't bright like the last series, at least, according to all those that have discussed them on here. The PMCs are in a different league though!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i agree with iggle, the pmc's sound very good with the kandy amp. the mag used to pair the kandy with atc scm11's in their recommended system, although these might be around 100 more expensive. dynaudio could work well, but usually needs a bit of space behind - i bought some focus 110's over the db1i, but the price of them has rocketed since i had some.

shevchunko:

Chaps,

Now that my broken amp issue has been resolved by the insurance company (replacement Kandy Liii is in the post) I am ready to draw up a shortlist to replace my speakers (mk1 Quad 11L's) for a something with more bass weight which i've lost in the new room. I need a speaker that will pair well with the Kandy / Arcam CD82 and give me more bass without losing any control. I was thinking about RX6's but am concerned that they will be too overblown in the room. The room itself is 4.5m x 5m, the speakers are on the 4.5 wall. Although the room is 5m deep x 4.5m widedeep, the listening area is smaller than that as there is a staircase up one side and a walkway behind the sofa, so in effect I am sitting about 3m max from the speakers and the speakers cant be more than about 2m to 2.5m apart. The floor is hard concrete (carpeted) and I have atabite filled nexus 6 stands. My budget is about £750, all suggestions will be welcomed so I can draw up a shortlist to audition.

Cheers

Jamie

Okay Jamie

The Roksan Kandy will sound very good with RX6 or DB1's. Will the RX6's be too overpowering for your room? I don't know, but I have RS6's in a room measuring 18' x 13'. The speakers are on the 13 side, about 12" from the wall. Mine sound absolutely fine, but any doubt, and you can't home test the speakers, go for the PMC's.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys,

I'm very keen on the idea of the DB1i's although it seems a little odd, (when the whole purpose of the exercise is to gain bass) to get smaller speakers!!. I think I really need to hear them side by side with the Quads to put my mind at rest that they will achieve what i'm after. I'm not a fan of the Dynaudio's, while I appreciate that they are good as speakers, they are lousy (imo) as furniture!

I think I will steer clear of floorstanders completely, I think it is too risky to put them in this room as I am sitting right on top of the speakers, if you boxed in the staircase (on the LHS) and take into account the Chimney Brest / built in TV unit (on the RHS) the room is nearer 3 x 4.5 as i'm sitting 1.75m away from the back wall and the rx6's were to be 12" away from the front wall, that's like 3 x 2.5. I should be able to achieve what I want with Standmounts.

The ATC's also interest me a great deal, does anyone have any comments about these regarding the bass??

shevchunko:

Thanks guys,

I'm very keen on the idea of the DB1i's although it seems a little odd, (when the whole purpose of the exercise is to gain bass) to get smaller speakers!!. I think I really need to hear them side by side with the Quads to put my mind at rest that they will achieve what i'm after. I'm not a fan of the Dynaudio's, while I appreciate that they are good as speakers, they are lousy (imo) as furniture!

I think I will steer clear of floorstanders completely, I think it is too risky to put them in this room as I am sitting right on top of the speakers, if you boxed in the staircase (on the LHS) and take into account the Chimney Brest / built in TV unit (on the RHS) the room is nearer 3 x 4.5 as i'm sitting 1.75m away from the back wall and the rx6's were to be 12" away from the front wall, that's like 3 x 2.5. I should be able to achieve what I want with Standmounts.

The ATC's also interest me a great deal, does anyone have any comments about these regarding the bass??

ATC's, eh? Do you play your music, in the main, fairly quietly? or do you have a family and awkward neighbours? If you answer "yes" to both these questions then the PMC's will be far more productive if you tend to keep them for a few years.

The PMC's I tested back in August and the bass, for the size, is tremendous. Alternatively, look on the Sevenoaks Sound and Vision website (Brighton branch). They usually have ex-dem Spendors for sale. The ones I'm thinking about are the S5E's. They measure about the same as the A5's, ex-WHFI S&V award winners (2004) I think. The smaller dimentions and taut bass may suit your requirements better than the PMC's.

TRENDING THREADS