Speaker problems to look out for?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Mornin... I'm going to listen to a selection of speakers at the weekend (MA BR2 & BR5, Kef IQ5SE and B&W 685). Are there any flaws with the speakers that I should be listening out for? Obviously I will be using my own ears, not a pair borrowed from someone here on the forums, but it would be handy to know what to listen out for, to make sure that any foibles that peeps have noticed are heard and evaluated in the demo! Answers on a post.... packet of hobnobs to the best answer!

John Duncan

How could I refuse?

Sibilance is a big bugbear for me - to me it suggests the treble's not being handled well somewhere along the line. That suggests a well-recorded female vocal album should be in your bag, if you've got one. If a system can play Sarah Mclachlan's Surfacing or Famous Blue Raincoat without feeling like they're spitting in my face, that's a good start for me.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It'd be handy to know what AMP/CDP youre looking to use as well

With regards to the speakers, good choice apart from the Kefs (well in my opinion). If you're looking at floorstanders as well, try and get the M/A RS6's in as well, if they fit in to your budget.

As John said above a good female vocal CD is always good, the Nelly Furtardo album is good as it has plenty of bass in most of her tracks which will let you know how well timed the speakers are but her voice is powerful too so will test the treble/midrange.

A modern electronic CD is always handy to have too, Daft Punk, Fischerspooner are always good. Some RHCP music is always good too, acoustic sounds with bass and good vocals from Anthony Keidis.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, should have said - going to be using a Rotel RA04 and Arcam CD73 as it's the closest to my current kit...

Not sure that the RS6s are going to be in budget - have a ceiling of about £450 really...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]good choice apart from the Kefs (well in my opinion)[/quote]

Why's that then? Is there something not-quite-right with them, or is it just personal preference?

A

Anonymous

Sevenoaks have a pair of ex-display MA RS6 going for £400

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]... If a system can play Sarah Mclachlan's Surfacing or Famous Blue Raincoat without feeling like they're spitting in my face, that's a good start for me. [/quote]

Couldn't agree with you more John!
emotion-21.gif

iJoe

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
I've got the MA BR2 there is said to be a tiny bit of resonance apparently at 230Hz which I can detect too on some recordings. The IQ5's seem to be fine to me with my dads Arcam Solo. The BR2's are vinyl covered, I would invest in the extra for the RS series for the better looking real wood veneer. Need to sort out the room before I can give a better idea than that i am afraid.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]
Try Epos m5 or m12.2, and AVI Neutron IV is they have them. I'm pretty sure they'll be better than the MAs
[/quote]

absolutely and probably better than all of the mentioned speakers. Only Rega's R3 may be better if the room is large.

TRENDING THREADS