Speaker Placement help needed...

fenderibo

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help with my speaker placement i currently have them at ear level when sitting and facing slighly inwards towards me, they are about 10 ft form my sitting position but only 3 feet apart, i cant get them any further apart due to room constrictions. My only other option is to put them in opposite corners of the room but that would mean im 10ft away form the left one and only 2ft from the right one in my sitting position. Many years ago a friend who was into hi-fi told me this was the best option for my room..would you agree? The second option seemed to fill the room a little more but had less clarity...which of the two options sounds best to you?

Thanks for any help in advance

Pete

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
As u know 3ft is too close. Equilateral triangle suggests 10ft. Experiment but the second option seems more viable. If you cant alter the sound delay (standard with av receivers but uncommon with stereo amp) then it will never sound perfect. But compromise and hifi/av go hand in hand.

fenderibo

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Robin, yes always a bit of a compromise unless you have the perfect room..which i dont think many of us have will have a move around and see what works best but im thinking option 2 as well.

fenderibo

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Doc, tried to upload an image but for some strange reason it wont let me....Option 1 is keep the speakers 3ft apart with them at ear level and my position 10ft away in a straight line, OR....option two one speaker in each corner of the room diagonal too each other. My postion 2ft away from right speaker...10ft away from the left. Neithers ideal i know...but its got to be one or the other.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Added more out of interest than from any of my own ability to offer useful help ..... AV amps setup alters the distance from speaker to listener. Clearly this minute time delay corrects phase when speakers are placed variously in a room. If hifi stereo amps dont have this, is it because the balance control not only adjusts the volume but also the phase or do these amps ignore this aspect?? Surely the phase difference would significantly effect the focus & soundstage as well as the frequency response at the listening position thru interference?? Dunno!
The implication might be that in significantly assymetric layouts, such as yours suggests, would an av amp be more suitable. (Though maybe of lesser sq for the same money)

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
The triangle is a really great starting point but only really a starting point; every room is different so experiment.

Things to try and achieve if possible -

Symmetry at the end of the room where the speakers are.

Getting some tratement for the first reflection points

and to try and avoid if possible -

Having the speakers facing down the width of the room

Having the speakers too close to the end wall and creating SBIR

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
fenderibo said:
Hi Doc, tried to upload an image but for some strange reason it wont let me....Option 1 is keep the speakers 3ft apart with them at ear level and my position 10ft away in a straight line, OR....option two one speaker in each corner of the room diagonal too each other. My postion 2ft away from right speaker...10ft away from the left. Neithers ideal i know...but its got to be one or the other.

Just to be sure there is no option 3. Maybe nearfield listening is feasible for "serious" listening sessions: you put a comfy armchair at 3 feet from the speakers, that are 3' apart, thus making an equilateral triangle, with the tweeters at ear hight. You can't leave the chair there, sure, and the speakers should of course be fit for purpose (monitors)... I dunno. Just trying to be broad-minded.

And just as broad-mindedly (is that a word in English?): would you consider a pair of quality headphones?

EDIT: I see MakkaPakka had the same idea first (it costs me some time to write proper English...) ;)

A

Anonymous

DocG said:
fenderibo said:

Just to be sure there is no option 3. Maybe nearfield listening is feasible for "serious" listening sessions: you put a comfy armchair at 3 feet from the speakers, that are 3' apart, thus making an equilateral triangle, with the tweeters at ear hight. You can't leave the chair there, sure, and the speakers should of course be fit for purpose (monitors)... I dunno. Just trying to be broad-minded.

And just as broad-mindedly (is that a word in English?): would you consider a pair of quality headphones?

EDIT: I see MakkaPakka had the same idea first (it costs me some time to write proper English...) ;)

Good enough for me.

And +1 for the suggestion if all else fails

TRENDING THREADS