Speaker Match For AudioLab 8000s ???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, I just got the audiolab 8000s today at half price, I read in many reviews that this amp needs to be carefully matched with speakers or else it will sound very bad. But on the happy side, if well matched it can sound very, very good indeed.

Does anyone here know or have history matching speakers with this amp ? I would be thankfull for any input you can give on the subject..........

Hi

You don't mention the budget or whether you prefer floorstanding or stand mounts.

Certainly the Monitor Audio RS6 will match well. Alternatively, Kef Could be quite good. Although I wouldn't go any higher than a grand on speakers (IMHO).

Like always try and seek out a good local dealer, who'll allow a home demo or shop demo.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, new to this, I should have said stand mounts with a budget of £400.

I have been thinking of the following speakers:

B&W 685 . QUAD 11L2 . MEZZO 2 . DALI LEKTOR 3 . MONITOR AUDIO SILVER RS1.

I can get these for less than £400 and the amp can drive any of them.

My local dealer is 100 miles away, ( I live in welsh valley ) and they have limited choice of speakers.

Apparently the amp is too crisp and forward sounding if the speakers dont counter-act those faults.

Anyone know which one of these speakers can counter-act the crisp, forward sound of the amp ?????

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Tannoy Mercury F4s from Richer Sounds for £120, and £280-worth of beer.

Or the F4s and 560 packets of Bird's Instant Custard...
emotion-5.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This may be pretty useless but I used to own an 8000S for a few weeks back in the nineties when it first came out. I tried everything to like it, matching it with just about every speaker available at the time for under a grand. In the end I gave up but the one speaker that did best was Harbeth HL-P 3's, a tiny mini monitor with a lovely midband, treble and warm bass. Very unusual sounding but I really liked it. I used this speaker with other components and very nearly bought it.

It's been years since I heard an 8000S so I could'nt even tell you if they still sound the same or what would match. Hand you back to the guys with more up-to-date knowledge of this amp.

regards

A

Anonymous

I still have an 8000p and ran it through a Meridian 207 cd/pre amp which sounded wonderfull paired with a pair of Rogers LS6's.

A bit lacking in depth (of bass) but the musicality! I would try the MA RS6's, run the RS8's currently on my system which can't quite match the excellents of the Rogers in the mids.

Spendors are another one that spring to mind, well worth a listen to.

A

Anonymous

I have an ageing Audiolab 8000a and was thinking of replacing it with a new 8000s when the deals started appearing a couple of months ago.

I e-mailed Audiolab about 6 weeks ago asking for speaker recommendations. They, not surprisingly, recommended Wharfedale 9.1 or Quad 11l standmounts. All three brands are part of IAG (I think).

A recent HiFi World review suggested that the Quads were on the warm side of neutral (something I have not read before) so they could be worth an audition, especially as they are readily available at £249.00, instead of the original £379.00 rrp.

I am now waiting until the new year to replace my 8000a but would be very interested to hear of the choice of speakers you eventually go for.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies, maybe I should buy cheaper speakers like wharfedale 9.1 and keep the system as a second hi fi.

It looks like audiolab company dont even know what to use as speakers for their own amp. Never mind, I`d bet it will still sound better than marantz or rotel at £250 price range

A

Anonymous

I have an 8000S from about 1996, purchased new.

I recently put Monitor Audio RS1's on it and really like them, so can recommend them to you. My room is about 3.5x4m, and they are positioned close to a wall (about 15cm). They are very flexible speakers on positioning.

A

Anonymous

Avoid metal dome tweeters. Go for some Usher S520:

http : //www.dartmouth.tv/audio/images/Poland-S520.pdf

A

Anonymous

I would like to know what speakers best suite audiolab 8000Q & P also what sub to buy as well. Should it be active or passive ? can I link a sub to the second pre out of the 8000Q ?

I have some wharfdale varius and some tdl studio 10 speakers, and audio lab 8000CD player.

First i want a sub should go for rel or bk ? dont want to spend more then £350 on a box that just booms in my opinion theres no such thing as a quality sub, but never the less want one for them moments when I play some aphex twin or something heavy like that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts