Speaker jumpers or bi wire ?

macipod

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi I have chord silver screen is it worth me swapping it for so bi wire lengths, or just buy a meter and make some speaker jumpers ? Thanks Luke

scene

Difficult one to answer, as it depends to an extent on what your speakers are, and your amp... But, I would say, more often than not, bi-wiring is not worth it, buy a more expensive cable, rather than two lots of the same. Bi-amping is a different matter.

As for swapping the speaker plates for jumper cable, this is a moot point, especially given the short lengths of the plates

A

Anonymous

Whats the rest of your system?

Are you bi-amping in the future or just sticking to a pre/power or integrated amp?

Im using Chord Signature speaker cable jumpers currently on my 2nd system using a NAD C355BEE amp to power the M/A RX2's with Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable (thus removing the OEM jumper bars)

My system (listen below) I'm using Chord Odyssey 4 speaker cable terminated in a 2-4 set-up so that both HF and LF are fed by the power amp but just using 2 of the connections on the back of the amp

macipod

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
hifilover1979:
Whats the rest of your system?

Are you bi-amping in the future or just sticking to a pre/power or integrated amp?

Im using Chord Signature speaker cable jumpers currently on my 2nd system using a NAD C355BEE amp to power the M/A RX2's with Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable (thus removing the OEM jumper bars)

My system (listen below) I'm using Chord Odyssey 4 speaker cable terminated in a 2-4 set-up so that both HF and LF are fed by the power amp but just using 2 of the connections on the back of the amp

Hi

my system is

Icon audio stereo 40mkii valve amp

Arcam alpha 7 cd player used as a transport

Arcam Rdac

pure i 20 digital dock

Usher S-520 Speakers

Dont plan on bi amping .

Luke

A

Anonymous

I guess you can try replace the plate. I find it improved the sound from my speaker. As for bi-wire, I am doubtful of its benefits.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
If possible, request your HiFi dealer to lend you some demo cables to compare any potential sonic improvements. The primary issue is whether the cost of extra cabling is worth any possible benefits. I am using Chord Signature Links (jumper cables) to replace the supplied jumper plates on my B&W 684 speakers, and I do experience an audible improvement. Also, if you are concerned about a probable placebo effect, ask an independent, unbiased listener if they notice any performance difference in your system.

A

Anonymous

Personally I'd just use some speaker cable jumpers or small lengths of the speaker cable youve already got to make some

Replacing the OEM jumper bars on speakers can help a lot with the sound but bi-wiring in this case wouldnt IMO

A

Anonymous

simon3102000:Complete waste of money, don't bother.Exactly. It's significant that fewer and fewer speaker manufacturers are offering this option.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I asked the same question at the dealers when I bought the Quads. He told me not to bother with bi-wiring and I would get better reults by just replacing the plates with jumpers made from the cable I was using.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
macipod:Thanks guys for all your input, will just get some of the same cable and make some jumpers.

Cheers

Luke

Really easy to do with Carnival Silverscreen as it's so easy to work with. Takes five minutes, if that. Also, the length you need is so short (5-10cm) that you shouldn't need to buy more cable, just cut a bit off the end of what you've got now.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm not planning on bi-wiring, but fascinated by the advice to replace the plates with jumper cables. I'm tempted to give it a try, but has anyone tried it, and if so did you think it made any audible difference?

A

Anonymous

whiskywheels:I'm not planning on bi-wiring, but fascinated by the advice to replace the plates with jumper cables. I'm tempted to give it a try, but has anyone tried it, and if so did you think it made any audible difference?

I have on both my systems and I found there was an audible difference
emotion-1.gif

The soundstage is more puunchier & dynamic; bass control is better and midrange/treble is sweeter

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979:I have on both my systems and I found there was an audible difference
emotion-1.gif
The soundstage is more puunchier & dynamic; bass control is better and midrange/treble is sweeter? I can't work out whether you're being serious or not.

A

Anonymous

I don't know if he was serious.

For me, I used to have the cable connected to the tweeter and connect to the bass with the plate jumper. The bass was muddled compared with tweeter. I used a bit of the Naim cable to replace the jumpers. I can say the bass improved immediately and matching the clarity of the tweeter. This is even noticeable on my entry level Naim, so I guess should be pretty easily noticeable to most other systems.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't dispute you hear a difference, but, in all honesty, if you were to test with a duplicate system using the original jumper you wouldn't hear any difference whatsoever.

You certainly wouldn't hear a difference of the magnitude hifilover (?) claims. You'd be lucky to hear that much difference if you swapped CD players.

A

Anonymous

Of course you may hear difference.

Are you also using the Naim cable then? Do you think it makes a difference? I also heard a difference when I replaced my old cable.

Those are controversial topic I guess, but in this case, he doesn't need to spent large amount of money, just 4 short pieces of cable as jumper is well worth to try.

For bi-wire, I didn't like so I wouldn't recommend him to try as it cost much more......

A

Anonymous

Let me put it quite bluntly: if you hear a difference over a run of cable 2 - 3 cms long, then its in your head.

I'm not disputing, by the way, that speaker cables over 2 - 3 metres may make an audible difference, but not a couple of centimetres. It's simply not possible, even if the jumper were made of pure silver and the wire pure copper.

Oh, and a few of us have tried it (winters here are long and daylight short) and found - no difference.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I can only assume that those who profess to hear an improvement after replacing the bars with cables had poor/dirty connections in the first place.

A

Anonymous

Yes I'm being serious

I wasnt sure at first but did the same tests with the wife and her mum & dad who have a Cyrus & B&W system and also with my brother who has an Arcam Solo Mini & B&W speakers

All I can say is PROVE IT...

I know speaker cable/interconnect topics always open up a can of worms so I'm not going to add any more than I've already said; but for those (i.e. Grottyash) that say it's impossible; prove it!
emotion-1.gif

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
hifilover1979:
Yes I'm being seriousDo you seriously believe that having spent thousands on R&D, the very last thing a speaker manufacturer does before launching a product is say "I know, let's deliberately downgrade the sound quality so that we can save 50p on speaker cable"?

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979:
Yes I'm being serious

I wasnt sure at first but did the same tests with the wife and her mum & dad who have a Cyrus & B&W system and also with my brother who has an Arcam Solo Mini & B&W speakers

All I can say is PROVE IT...

I know speaker cable/interconnect topics always open up a can of worms so I'm not going to add any more than I've already said; but for those (i.e. Grottyash) that say it's impossible; prove it!
emotion-1.gif

As I said above, I have proved it through listening and comparing. It's also easily possible to prove it through science, but I'm sure that wouldn't count for the true believers.

It's up to you, though, and perhaps its easier (and cheaper) to believe two short lengths of metal will upgrade the sound of an entire system than it would be to follow the conventional upgrade route.

Hmm - maybe I should start believing too....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's always highly amusing in these threads to see the difference between those who say 'I've tried it and for me it works' and those offering merely 'It can't work because - well, well, well - just because it can't, and if you think it does you are either stupid or delusional'.

Who's speaking from experience, and who's being dogmatic?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts