Speaker Isolation

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
I have my Quad 11L on home made MDF shelving. I'd like to try tighten up the sound and was wondering on cheap steps. Have seen threads about putting speakers onto marble chopping boards etc. - is this the sort of thing to try - what about spikes ?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Have you tried Blu-tac? It's perfectly acceptable... You could use spikes but you'll ruin the shelf, marble might need some serious support too! :)

If you haven't already done so I'd suggest bunging the rear port (which I think they have from memory), this will be, in addiction to blu-tac the most obvious option. If they're on shelves you'll be boosting the low end a fair amount and it's likely to be a little loose and boomy which I'm guessing you're hearing from your request. You don't need any special costly material to bung the ports if bungs aren't supplied, rag, socks, basically anything to stop the airflow will do.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Just got through the door with my two Tesco chopping boards! lol. Same size, but one's a bit heavier than the other...hmmm

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks - Yes must have meant granite :)

Yes 11L do have rear port - I don't know if they ever came with foam bung - I will check or try "alternative methods" as discussed

So what does blue-tac do for you?. Does it isolate them or just stop them resonating downwards ?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
roger06 said:
Sizzers said:
Just got through the door with my two Tesco chopping boards! lol. Same size, but one's a bit heavier than the other...hmmm

I couldn't find them online - got a URL?

I saw them in my local Tesco - they're the £12.50 ones?
Try again! Bit confusing as they call them a work surface protector but they're here. I have a bedroom set-up and thought I'd give them a bit of a whirl to give a bit more isolation from the hollow floor and room below. Haven't set them up yet so can't comment on how they perform. If they don't work out then I've got a shiny new chopping board and a nice plinth for the telly which could do with another 1cm!

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I bought a pair on Saturday. They were reduced to £10 each as well! As you write, nice chopping boards if all else fails.

I've given them a quick try (I'm house sitting elsewhere so popped home to try). Not a huge difference (but what hi fi tweaks ever are?) but I think an improvement. Slightly tighter and cleaner bass and perhaps a tad more clarity in the vocals.

The biggest benefit though is now being able to experiment with the amount of toe-in. With spikes through the carpet before they were impossible to move without peppering the carpet with holes.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I haven't been able to give them a proper try out as my ears have been bunged up with wax the last few days! Waiting for the drops to take effect before having them syringed so hopefully can make a proper evaluation over the weekend.

I'm intending to get 8 really good solid door stoppers to put the stands on instead of the spikes and see what happens with those as well. I really do need new stands as my speakers are pretty damned big, but things keep coming up again and again.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Excellent – minor medical procedure to improve the hi fi sound... like it!

But yes, I really should get mine done too.

Currently I've got spikes directly onto the granite. However I have foot feet from a previous house which had an oak floor so I'll try them as well.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Sizzers - how did the de-waxing go? has it made a difference?

With regard to the Tesco granite slabs, then the more I listen the more I'm sure they've made a fair difference. Everything just seems a but 'cleaner'.

A

Anonymous

to the OP, you can also try products like Flatfeet which are sorbothane pads that look like a squash ball cut in half. I have these under all my equipment and love them. Under speakers you will really notice a huge difference - even when they are already placed on top of high quality stands. They help focus the bass and reduce unwanted resonance which helps the soundstaging no end. highly recommended!

Or if your budget wont stretch that far, cut some actual squash balls in half and use them instead!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
iburnell said:
I have my Quad 11L on home made MDF shelving. I'd like to try tighten up the sound and was wondering on cheap steps. Have seen threads about putting speakers onto marble chopping boards etc. - is this the sort of thing to try - what about spikes ?

What about dedicated stands?

A

Anonymous

I've just ordered 4 of those granite chopping boards, 2 for the speakers, 1 for chopping on and another spare (may be my CD player which weights a tonne will benefit from sitting on one instead of directly on the glass shelf if it'll fit). On the Tesco website it said "while stocks available" so they might be discontinued...so hurry!

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Well since I posted this I tried putting some cloths in both rear ports. I found it neutered the bass a lot, so gradually removed it all. Saw grantite place mats listed on fleabay and brought them. Wow the difference is immense. Not only do they look the part they seem to focus the sound so much better. This is a Naim Uniti with Quad 11L. I am revisiting all my CDs which I've ripped to Flac onto my NAS with a wired ethernet connection. It sings. I thought the Quads might become the weak link but for now at least this system works for me ! - happy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts